London bottle shops, bars, what to look for, etc.

dean_martin
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My son is travelling to London for work. I told him I'd try to find some info on bottle shops and bars.  He's into Scotch and likes the Islay profile.  I'm looking for recommendations on bottle shops and bars as well as Scotch or Irish whisky that's unavailable in the US.  He likes bourbon, too.  I'm vaguely aware that Wild Turkey, Four Roses and Blanton's might have export-only releases.  Any recommendation for an export-only bourbon will be appreciated, too.  

In no particular order except that I have personal and positive experience with the Whisky Exchange from a few years ago.

Whisky Exchange, Royal Mile, Cadenhead's, Berry Bros., Gerry's, Milroy's. And their are others. If you pick through this blog you can find some details and pictures of several of these stores.

I am sure our SB.com members from London can offer more insight.

As for bourbon the Blanton's Straight from the Barrel or "SFTB" at cask strength or perhaps Blanton's Gold at 103 pf are worth watching for. Don't know if it is readily available in London or not.

Thanks for the blog link.  Looks like several interesting and very relevant postings.  Will dig into it this evening.

Also, will be following the news between now and the time my son leaves in July to make sure it's safe.  He works for a good company.  Surely they won't send into harm's way.  

I am not particularly worried about going into harm's way in London or in Europe in general. I'm going across the pond in late June and I certainly won't let the bastards deter me from going.

London is a big place and the risk of getting hit by a bus is probably higher than being involved in a terrorist bombing. Especially since they drive on the wrong side of the road! Hard to remember which way to look when you cross the street... :huh:

...London is a big place and the risk of getting hit by a bus is probably higher than being involved in a terrorist bombing. Especially since they drive on the wrong side of the road! Hard to remember which way to look when you cross the street... :huh:

This or a car! We were in England for a week last summer, and the first couple of days my head was on a swivel looking both directions but forgetting which lane they were turning from or driving into. I had a couple of close calls in heavy traffic intersections crossing the streets before I finally got used to it. [emoji15]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Thanks again for the link to the blog postings!  My son leaves on Saturday.  I think he said he's already made arrangements to attend a tasting at Cadenhead's and he's working in other stops while there.  I need to pass along the reminder to be careful crossing streets in London.  Thanks again, guys.  I'll post a follow-up when he returns.  

14 minutes ago, dean_martin said:

Thanks again for the link to the blog postings!  My son leaves on Saturday.  I think he said he's already made arrangements to attend a tasting at Cadenhead's and he's working in other stops while there.  I need to pass along the reminder to be careful crossing streets in London.  Thanks again, guys.  I'll post a follow-up when he returns.  

They are very helpful in the heavy tourist areas in London. They paint the direction you need to look on the pavement there on the crosswalk so we tourists don't become a hood ornament! Unless you have your nose buried in your "mobile"...

fig236.jpg

Although as you wander further afield you are on your own more.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.