morebourbon85
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Is it me or is Blanton's just becoming harder and harder to find? It's not impossible to find, but when it's available, there's only a few bottles and then the store is out for months. Maybe they are doing this on purpose to give it more demand.  I'm in Miami, FL. I was able to come across a few bottles today and got them at $54. How is your area looking?

1 minute ago, morebourbon85 said:

Is it me or is Blanton's just becoming harder and harder to find? It's not impossible to find, but when it's available, there's only a few bottles and then the store is out for months. Maybe they are doing this on purpose to give it more demand.  I'm in Miami, FL. I was able to come across a few bottles today and got them at $54. How is your area looking?

Depends on where you are. What you describe has happened in some places going on a couple years already. Other places tend to always have it around. It's a distribution and popularity thing. It varies all over.

I did a lot of shopping today of the 5 stores I went to all but one had Blantons ranging in price from $49.99 to $69.99.

While not always available, I can usually find Blanton's in Iowa. Last time I was at the grocery store there was 5 or 6 at $55 or so which is the typical price here. Other stores have plenty as well. We get plenty of CEHT too, small batch is always available, single barrel sometimes. CEHT Rye and Sazerac are common here so we have a good selection of Buffalo Trace products, no Weller though!

Edited by EarthQuake

Virginia pretty much always has Blantons, Eagle Rare, and Buffalo Trace. All the other BT products are severely allocated or lottery items. 

Edited by JoeTerp

It's not too hard to find here. Oddly it seems to be the grocery stores that usually have a few bottles stocked not the liquor stores.

Until recently it's been pretty scarce and when you did find it it was $70+. It's recently started becoming pretty widely available again (although usually with a a 1 bottle per customer limit) for $55-$60. It's not in every store though. One of the local chains here sent an email out last Sat. morning that they had some in stock and were only selling it online.  It sold out in 45 mins.

Blantons is much harder for me to find and usually when I do find it it's $10-$20 more expensive than it used to be. But in my area of Illinois most BT products are becoming more scarce than they used to be. Last year Colonel Taylor was the was BT product I could always expect to find on the shelf. It's now a 50/50 chance of being in the store. It's just a sign of the times. 

It has all but disappeared in Denver the last 4-6 months, before that you could find it everywhere. I've only seen it in 1 shop since. 

6 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

Virginia pretty much always has Blantons, Eagle Rare, and Buffalo Trace. All the other BT products are severely allocated or lottery items. 

I love their website in that you can designate "my store" and it will give you the inventory status of Blantons or whatever they carry in stock at that store. And if your neighborhood store is out of something there is a search function that will give you the inventory status for nearby stores along with their phone number and miles to that store. You can call them up and ask them to set it aside for later pickup. Internet shopping at its finest. :D

Taxachusetts has Blanton's on the shelf for as little as $43.99.  Store barrel picks still average around $55 and are fantastic.  Too bad TW doesn't have their Grand Opening price from last year of $40.99 around anymore.  Seems Massachusetts law won't let you sell spirits for less than cost . . . . . . . .  :ph34r:

Just a little off-topic - Blanton's is my "go-to" bourbon and I've bought a lot of it.  Thus, I have a lot of "horsey tops" and would be willing to swap some if anybody is collecting them and missing some.  It's not "cheating" since you've already bought the bottles and are just swapping out duplicates (hopefully).  The whole collection of the eight (8) different tops makes a great display and "talk-story" for an evening.

20170317_111010_1489765780437_resized.jpg

Edited by GeeTen
Added "horesy" top swap offer & pic

42 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

I have a lot of "horsey tops" and would be willing to swap some if anybody is collecting them and missing some.  

Is there one letter that's harder to find than the others?

One thing for sure is that Buffalo Trace has mastered the supply and demand. Buffalo, Eagle and Blanton's aren't impossible to find here, with Blanton's being the hardest, but I know of one place here that I may just find them when needed. Funny cause I went to my local Publix and the liquor manager said it's heavily allocated and they have one guy calling every day asking for it. Yet I find 6 bottles at a store not too far away. Maybe I went a little overboard buying all 6, but I may just be able to trade or get a premium if it continues to be scarce. 

15 minutes ago, morebourbon85 said:

Maybe I went a little overboard buying all 6, but I may just be able to trade or get a premium if it continues to be scarce. 

Buying all 6 bottles seems greedy to me.  But is there such thing as buying too much?  In the interest of disclosure I entered the Va ABC lottery for the ORVW a few weeks ago with the sole intent of flipping it for a tidy profit. So I get the capitalist side of the argument but Blanton's is nowhere near the unicorn status of Pappy's with its extremely limited supply - it's a common bourbon.

I'm finding a great many Buffalo Trace/Age International offerings hard to find in The Mitten State. 

When I wanted to replace the only Rock Hill Farms bottle I had left (as it went under half-full), I had it ordered for going onto 4-months before it finally arrived!

Other products from said distillery are rarely seen on shelves in my area.    EHT, ETL, Blanton's, even BT (though it shows up in greater quantities) ... are seen only rarely.     And, don't even talk about the Weller line.

I assume it's the generally tight supply issue of the brands mentioned.    They're out there; but usually spread very thinly, and not much remains on shelves for very long, I'm sure.

6 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

I'm finding a great many Buffalo Trace/Age International offerings hard to find in The Mitten State. 

I'm curious, taking a drive over the bridge, is the supply any different in Canada?

20 minutes ago, DCFan said:

Buying all 6 bottles seems greedy to me.  But is there such thing as buying too much?  In the interest of disclosure I entered the Va ABC lottery for the ORVW a few weeks ago with the sole intent of flipping it for a tidy profit. So I get the capitalist side of the argument but Blanton's is nowhere near the unicorn status of Pappy's with its extremely limited supply - it's a common bourbon.

Maybe a little greedy, but is there such a thing when it comes to things like this? Lol. Buying four gave me 10% off, so I figured what's two more? 

12 minutes ago, morebourbon85 said:

Maybe a little greedy, but is there such a thing when it comes to things like this? Lol. Buying four gave me 10% off, so I figured what's two more? 

Getting 10% off I get but it seems that by buying all 6 we are creating our own supply inequities. Hoarding is a fever that spreads faster than the Spanish flu did last century thanks to the internet and forums such as this. Maybe the MBA's/psychologists among us can settle this dilemma. Why should a mass produced product be so difficult for some to obtain? I'm reminded of the resurgence of the baseball card market in the late 80's and how cards took off like a rocket but the frenzy quickly died down and prices with it.

I enjoy Blanton's and can find it easily for $50-55, but it's kind of unappealing to me at this point.  It's consistently good but not mind blowing.  I'd rather search for SAOS SiB or pony up another $30/bottle for SFTB.

Blanton's is getting almost impossible to find in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.  When smaller stores get it in, it is usually kept behind the counter or in offices for those on a waiting list.  Even when Total Wines gets a big shipment, it usually sells out within an hour or two.

Ahhhhhh.  I wake up on a gorgeous sunny Memorial Day morning, load the Sheltie in the car for a quick jaunt to Starbucks for coffee, sit out back with the birds chirping, dial in SB to see what's going on in Bourbonia...and get greeted by a conversation between two guys trying to determine why there are supply issues in their markets while seeking to validate their overbuying to potentially flip Blanton's for a premium and trying to win a lottery of Pappy to flip for a tidy profit...ugh...

2 hours ago, morebourbon85 said:

One thing for sure is that Buffalo Trace has mastered the supply and demand. Buffalo, Eagle and Blanton's aren't impossible to find here, with Blanton's being the hardest, but I know of one place here that I may just find them when needed. Funny cause I went to my local Publix and the liquor manager said it's heavily allocated and they have one guy calling every day asking for it. Yet I find 6 bottles at a store not too far away. Maybe I went a little overboard buying all 6, but I may just be able to trade or get a premium if it continues to be scarce. 

1 hour ago, DCFan said:

The above are your answer to the below:

12 hours ago, morebourbon85 said:

Also, really?  You guys understand your attitudes about flipping for profit are pretty much counter to everything SB.com stands for, right?

11 minutes ago, garbanzobean said:

Also, really?  You guys understand your attitudes about flipping for profit are pretty much counter to everything SB.com stands for, right?

Whoever sold you the bourbon in your house made a profit off of you. Does that bother you?

1 minute ago, DCFan said:

Whoever sold you the bourbon in your house made a profit off of you. Does that bother you?

If they charge over retail I don't buy from them, it's not about the profit it's about the impact that it has on the availability and price.

3 minutes ago, DCFan said:

Not in the least.  Are you licensed to resell alcohol in the state of Virginia?  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.