BOTM 6/17: 1792 Full Proof

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I love the 1792FP. My only exposure to it is the barrel selection GBS did awhile back but when when I had the first taste from that barrel I thought it was absolutely outstanding, the resulting bottling did nothing to diminish that impression. I also have a local FP I got several months back that will be opened at some point but the GBS selection will forever be my yardstick for FP. I recall liking most of the barrels from that day (there were 5) so the FP line seems to have a good supply of tasty inventory, I don't expect to be disappointed with that local store bottle however the GBS pick is really something special to my taste, its one of my all time favorite pours regardless of age/proof/brand/price...It goes to 11.

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on my second bottle of this.  Sometimes you just want to take a drink of something that has more punch to it than lower proof bottles.  There are many other barrel strength offerings out there that are better, but this does hold it's own and I like the fact that 1792 is putting out different selections.  Their wheat version is very tasty.

Finally got around to opening my bottle and after the first pour, well, to be polite, it's going to take quite a while to finish this one. It just doesn't work for me. I've never been a big fan of regular 1792 and was really hoping this would change my opinion of the brand.

6 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Finally got around to opening my bottle and after the first pour, well, to be polite, it's going to take quite a while to finish this one. It just doesn't work for me. I've never been a big fan of regular 1792 and was really hoping this would change my opinion of the brand.

I am with you Vosgar,  I have never been a fan of regular 1792. However,  I did find a private selection single barrel at 98.6 proof that I really like. I have purchased several bottles.  I have always wondered if the difference in my enjoyment is the slightly higher proof or the barrel selection. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/30/2017 at 11:53 PM, HoustonNit said:

The weird taste I find in VOB that I really don't enjoy. Reminds me of bad blended Canadian Whiskey. That's just me though.

VOB tastes like under aged ethanol rotgut to me. The iterations of 1792 are pleasing to my palate and good values especially the SB PS I picked up at my local liquor store for $25.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm late to the party as usual, but I'll add my thoughts anyway.  What I picked up was a 1792 FP Store Select, and enjoyed it enough to go back and get another.  Really hit all the right spots for me.  My favorite thing about it, is the long finish I get from it.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have recently been drinking a fair amount of FP 1792. I have both the PS and regular offerings open. Like most here I've honed my palate to the point I generally prefer higher proof bourbons. The 1792 in my lowly opinion is not better at a higher proof. It's simply too hot to carry the flavors it has. It seems to be quite young and unrefined. Once watered or iced down it's got a solid taste, heavier on the caramel and the wood comes through. The sweetness moves to the front. To be honest I don't know how this has stayed in my rotation for several months now? I guess I just want to finish up the two open bottles in the bar area and be done with it for a LONG while. No emogi for you.

16 minutes ago, FacePlant said:

I have recently been drinking a fair amount of FP 1792. I have both the PS and regular offerings open. Like most here I've honed my palate to the point I generally prefer higher proof bourbons. The 1792 in my lowly opinion is not better at a higher proof. It's simply too hot to carry the flavors it has. It seems to be quite young and unrefined. Once watered or iced down it's got a solid taste, heavier on the caramel and the wood comes through. The sweetness moves to the front. To be honest I don't know how this has stayed in my rotation for several months now? I guess I just want to finish up the two open bottles in the bar area and be done with it for a LONG while. No emogi for you.

I agree with this. I thought it drank very hot for it's 125 proof and was pretty rough around the edges.  I didn't get much caramel with some watered down..just wood.  I didn't try it with ice.  It wasn't bad per se, just not in my wheelhouse exactly...and I prefer higher proofs.  It was kinda like a hot sauce that is hot just for the sake of being hot.

• I like it 1

That is why there are so many different bourbons available...something for everybody. I actually am a fan of 1792 FP, especially some of the store picks that I've had and still have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

That is why there are so many different bourbons available...something for everybody. I actually am a fan of 1792 FP, especially some of the store picks that I've had and still have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love this post. I am a huge fan of the 1792 FP. I have a store select bottle and enjoy everything about it. But everything is not for everybody. I am very thankful for the variety and quality across the price-point spectrum concerning bourbon.

• I like it 1

Picked up a store pick 1792 FP and really enjoying it. Planning on going to get a couple for the bunker...

Picked up a store pick 1792 FP and really enjoying it. Planning on going to get a couple for the bunker...

Yeah, one of my locals got their PS Barrel in about a month ago, and it's probably the best I've ever tasted. I've bought a few, but I should probably buy a case before it's gone.

• 2 weeks later...

Must be the season for it! My store just got a 1792 FP as well (which I got to help pick, although from samples as we did not get to go to the distillery for this one) and I think it is drinking really well. Likes a touch of water but otherwise quite enjoyable!

On 5/30/2017 at 8:48 PM, HoustonNit said:

Too much of the Barton funk.

You drinking the 86 or 100 proof?

You drinking the 86 or 100 proof?

Been a while but the BIB with the "6", not the 6 year. Do you like it? I think it has a terrible finish, reminds of Black Velvet or something.

52 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Been a while but the BIB with the "6", not the 6 year. Do you like it? I think it has a terrible finish, reminds of Black Velvet or something.

I’ve got a jug of the 86 down in my bunker unopened. Now I’m concerned. :o

I’ve got a jug of the 86 down in my bunker unopened. Now I’m concerned. [emoji33]

No you're probably fine I think one of a small handful of weirdos that feels this way.

I like the FP 1792. Slap you in the face flavor without slap you in the face burn. Decent value, but not great. Same price point I can get Rare Breed or KCSB. Nice aggressive bourbon for when you're in the mood.

Side note: I recently picked up a KCSB for $30, which is a steal IMO.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.