What Water of Life did you purchase today? Spring/Summer 2017

savagehenry42
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Time for a new thread. Winter is long gone.

Found a dust covered, tattered box with a Ledaig 10 inside. Looks like it's been there for 5 years or so. $11 cheaper than a large liquor retailer down the street.

Cheers!

Finally took receipt of a couple bottles from a recent TWE purchase:

Port Askaig 15 Sherry Cask

Glenfarclas 15 103 proof

I am not in any hurry to drink the Glenfarclas, but that Port Askaig isn't going to stay closed long.  Based on the explanation of the composition, I am pretty sure it is Bunnahabhain (20% peated whisky from 1997, 80% unpeated whisky from 2001), and I have a lot of trouble keeping bottles of Bunnahabhain around.  I suppose it could still be Caol Ila, but '97 had a known peated run of Bunnahabhain, and I am not aware of unpeated Call Ila from the 2000s being released to IBs.  About the only other suspect I can think of is Ardbeg.  I know they did "less peated" around the millennium, not sure about unpeated.  Also none of that is very likely, so I'm saying Bunnahabhain.  Regardless of where it came from or if it is on profile, I expect it to be delicious.  

9 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

Finally took receipt of a couple bottles from a recent TWE purchase:

Port Askaig 15 Sherry Cask

Glenfarclas 15 103 proof

I am not in any hurry to drink the Glenfarclas, but that Port Askaig isn't going to stay closed long.  Based on the explanation of the composition, I am pretty sure it is Bunnahabhain (20% peated whisky from 1997, 80% unpeated whisky from 2001), and I have a lot of trouble keeping bottles of Bunnahabhain around.  I suppose it could still be Caol Ila, but '97 had a known peated run of Bunnahabhain, and I am not aware of unpeated Call Ila from the 2000s being released to IBs.  About the only other suspect I can think of is Ardbeg.  I know they did "less peated" around the millennium, not sure about unpeated.  Also none of that is very likely, so I'm saying Bunnahabhain.  Regardless of where it came from or if it is on profile, I expect it to be delicious.  

Some of those peated '97 Bunnahabhain's got wine cask finishing by some of the IB's and turned out very nice. One finished in Chateau Lafite casks from Murray McDavid comes immediately to mind!

These guys were waiting for me when I got home today.  I've never had Springbank before...will have to crack it after I mow the yard.  The liter of Glenfarclas 18yr was essentially the same price as a 750ml of 12yr locally. :lol:

IMG_0694.thumb.JPG.bc3529accd6cdaa38ab56429ddc46b3a.JPG

In case anyone else on these forums got in on the Octomore OBA release, Bruichladdich is claiming packages should be hitting the East Coast of the US early next week.  Bruichladdich has not released much that has interested me since they cancelled Laddie 10, but I have to admit to quite a bit of excitement over getting ahold of my two bottles.

I grabbed a Springbank 19 yr Rechar Sherry (thanks for the heads up Mike) and a Redbreast Lustau.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you try the Lustau at Irish Night? Sadly, it continues to be a bit of a disappointment for me.

Did you try the Lustau at Irish Night? Sadly, it continues to be a bit of a disappointment for me.

I did but so many pours and damned if I can't remember what I thought of it.

Hazelburn 9 Barolo
Craigellachie 13
Clynelish 14
Talisker 10

Octomore OBA has landed!  Ended up with bottles 0032 and 0033.  Kind of neat, though I don't expect it will make them taste any better.

20170612_222519.jpg

Edited by garbanzobean
Wrong photo

Local store had a 20% off all Scotch and Irish Whisky One Day Sale for Father's Day, so I picked up one for a gift for my Father-In-Law (knowing I will get to drink half of it) and one for myself!

IMG_5651.jpg

7 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

Whoops.  Tripped and fell and accidentally ordered one of these:

http://shop.whiskybase.com/95372/a-speyside-distillery-1975-wd

That is quite a spendy fall! Hopefully it proves to have the power to help you recover from your fall. I would think 40 years in a Fino cask certainly could produce some superb whisky.

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

That is quite a spendy fall! Hopefully it proves to have the power to help you recover from your fall. I would think 40 years in a Fino cask certainly could produce some superb whisky.

Indeed.  It appears to have been part of a cask share by at least one other IB, and I believe Serge gave that one a 91, so at least one guy on the internet liked it.  It don't normally spend this kind of money all at once, but I have been trying to focus on quality instead of quantity this year, so this makes maybe the 7th or 8th bottle of booze purchased this year, and even some of those were bottle splits.  Of course that's going out the window soon ish because I hear flaming heart 2015 is on sale, and I need at least two more of those in my life.  So in that case, quality and quantity.

Just now, garbanzobean said:

Indeed.  It appears to have been part of a cask share by at least one other IB, and I believe Serge gave that one a 91, so at least one guy on the internet liked it.  It don't normally spend this kind of money all at once, but I have been trying to focus on quality instead of quantity this year, so this makes maybe the 7th or 8th bottle of booze purchased this year, and even some of those were bottle splits.  Of course that's going out the window soon ish because I hear flaming heart 2015 is on sale, and I need at least two more of those in my life.  So in that case, quality and quantity.

Can't go wrong with Flaming Heart! If I ever see more of the 2012 or especially the 2010 I would be a buyer of those too (at a decent price of course). The ones before that I have never seen or tried but that was before I was a complete CB slut! :lol:

15 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Can't go wrong with Flaming Heart! If I ever see more of the 2012 or especially the 2010 I would be a buyer of those too (at a decent price of course). The ones before that I have never seen or tried but that was before I was a complete CB slut! :lol:

I thought the 2012 was good, but the 2010 was amazing.  I still have a bottle of the 2010 hiding somewhere in the back of my bunker.  I think I prefer the 2015 to both though.  Would have loved to try any earlier editions, but that's going back way before I was into scotchy scotch scotch, let alone Compass Box.

Just now, garbanzobean said:

I thought the 2012 was good, but the 2010 was amazing.  I still have a bottle of the 2010 hiding somewhere in the back of my bunker.  I think I prefer the 2015 to both though.  Would have loved to try any earlier editions, but that's going back way before I was into scotchy scotch scotch, let alone Compass Box.

Yeah, I have one last bottle of the superb 2010 hiding somewhere in the cabinet as well (I think I may have gotten John to sign that one). Just haven't been able to bring myself to open it yet because I hate to think of it as being gone forever! Someday I will do a SBSBS I suppose when the 2012 and 2015 start to run low as well. But that may be awhile!

Picked up a Highland Park 12. First time with anything from HP. Really enjoyed the first dram.

All this talk of Flaming Heart... I have a 2012 and 2015 stashed away and never tried either. I may very well open one tonight, probably the 2015 because I'm more excited about it and can still get it in my area.

2 hours ago, Auracom said:

All this talk of Flaming Heart... I have a 2012 and 2015 stashed away and never tried either. I may very well open one tonight, probably the 2015 because I'm more excited about it and can still get it in my area.

Open the 2015 ASAP.  Honestly I cannot remember a whisky/bourbon I have enjoyed too much more.  Some equally, but nothing stands out as head and shoulders above this.  Okay, except maybe for that 2013 Brora I have tucked away.  But that's ONLY because I am a sucker for tropical fruit flavors in whisky.  And FH2015 is $120 and not selling for $2500 at auction.

This lovely landed in Atlanta. It tasted so good that I had to buy two. I also grabbed a Double Single to boot.
IMG_1571.JPG

I picked up this K&L selection of Cambus today. The notes sound very intriguing - planning on opening it tonight!
63fc2f683023f273eb07ed13fa3bb57e.jpg

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 2:37 PM, BigRich said:

This lovely landed in Atlanta. It tasted so good that I had to buy two. I also grabbed a Double Single to boot.
IMG_1571.JPG

I take it you managed to get a taste before you bought? Pretty good, eh? I think we done good, especially for $50! Higher proof and much richer mouthfeel than the regular GKS with some nice spicyness and a very pleasant finish. 

Now everyone will want another one... :D

Edited by tanstaafl2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.