What Water of Life did you purchase today? Spring/Summer 2017

savagehenry42
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

a9bd7b8076dd25727b1e3752d4879d20.jpg

Longrow Red finally made its way to Colorado [emoji8]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 8/18/2017 at 7:43 PM, beasled said:

Screenshot_20170819-004325.png

Makes me remember that I've been collecting various releases of this for years just based on reviews, and I  STILL haven't tried a single pour of it. I'll need to fix that sometime next week. Talk about delayed gratification...

15 hours ago, Kane said:

Makes me remember that I've been collecting various releases of this for years just based on reviews, and I  STILL haven't tried a single pour of it. I'll need to fix that sometime next week. Talk about delayed gratification...

I've got a couple tucked away from previous releases too. Enjoy!

On 8/18/2017 at 1:45 PM, Kpiz said:

I just ordered a bottle of 1994 BenRiach 19yo finished in an Oloroso cask from K&L for $79.99, which is by far the cheapest I've ever seen these.

You too? ;) I got the peated PX

6 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

You too? ;) I got the peated PX

Glad you were able to snag one as well. I was debating between the PX and the Oloroso with a self-imposed 1-bottle limit, and somehow ended up with the Oloroso. I'm guessing (or maybe hoping) both are excellent.

PX is my fave type of sherry by far, so I'm a sucker for a PX cask finish. I'm sure they're both going to be amazing. It will be months before I get to try it but I'm glad I got in there before the horde

Found a few of these collecting dust in a local store.  I enjoyed the peated Sherry finish, so might as well give this a try. 

image.thumb.jpeg.2ef3d9f9af765aed401ec244258c75ba.jpeg

IMG_20170822_200525006.thumb.jpg.86e130cf9b8e0b109d350e581e1c8f34.jpg

Picked up this sucker, saw it at the store for $55 the other day and tried to find reviews and came up blank aside from a few on Whiskybase of which only 2 were in English. I'm a sucker for Cask Strength affordable cask strength stuff and I like Deanston 12 and the taste of the 14 I had so I figured what the hell.

2 hours ago, Nm0369 said:

Found a few of these collecting dust in a local store.  I enjoyed the peated Sherry finish, so might as well give this a try. 

Dark rum barrels...mmmm

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 10:02 PM, The Black Tot said:

Dark rum barrels...mmmm

They may well have a different definition of "dark rum barrels" than we do!

13 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

haha probably, but then, my best rums have also been aged in Scotland!

Well, that is true for many no doubt! But all??? I dunno... :huh:

Didn't mean to imply there aren't any bad rum casks in the UK. Home of OVD and Watsons/Trawler for a start!

21 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

Random find today:

Talisker 25 2004 edition @ $199.

Money shot

20170826_200953.jpg

^Nice find, Eric! Speaking of Tali... I've been considering a 30 year as an import bottle for a long time now... always seems to be one of the newer vintages available at the UK retailers for at least a few hundred less than it is in the Chicago area.

Wasn't near the 25 year, but I'm still kicking myself that I passed up a bunch of Storm for $35 about 6 months ago.  I actually prefer Storm to the 10 year.  Never had an ultra-aged Talisker though.

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 8:29 PM, garbanzobean said:

Random find today:

Talisker 25 2004 edition @ $199.

Sweet! One from the cask strength days of yore. I miss those days, not to mention the prices of those days when it was even less than $199! Nowadays a current bottle diluted down to 91.6 pf would probably set you back $300 or more if you could even find one.

I've been on the hunt for early Kilchoman bottlings after a comparative tasting of a first release vs. current Machir Bay. I'd read Josh Peters' review of the early Single Cask Releases…

http://thewhiskeyjug.com/scotch-whiskey/kilchoman-single-cask-360-review/

So I was pretty surprised to find these on a Louisiana shelf looking rather unloved amidst the current bottles…

kilchoman_360.thumb.jpg.0c7e9bc60c721eb0d04f9be96ef86ca9.jpg

Picked up a Craigellachie 13. Currently working my way through a 17 and whilst it's good, it's not making me scratch my head in delightful bemusement as the 13 was, so I've picked one up to revisit. 

An acquaintance brought back a bottle of a store blend of Compass Box called "Rivals" from New York/New England. I had tried to buy some of this in the spring but couldn't make it happen so this was a bit of a pleasant surprise.

This one has a lot of Macallan in the blend which is a bit unusual for Compass Box. Also unusual was that the Macallan was all first fill bourbon cask and not sherry finished or matured. Will make an interesting comparison to the CB 5th & Harrison from K&L last  year although that whiskey has a lot of sherry finished whisky blended with about 25% Caol Ila. Very little peat in the Rivals bottle so they will be quite different.

I bought a couple bottles of Balblair 1999 2nd Release, Bottled 2015.  The state reduced the price this month and made it impossible for me to pass up.  I've really enjoyed their 1990 2nd Release.

balblair_1999.jpg

Snagged an older Hedonism along with another 2015 CB Flaming Heart.  Under $200 w/ tax - SOLD!  Almost snagged a 2012 Flaming Heart, but figured the price for the 2015 was the same - and I think I like that one more.  I can't say I'm a huge fan of the last Hedonism I tried, but looking forward to cracking this when I get home!

IMG_20170904_190953.thumb.jpg.861a7020ce2829cdeb3bbbd14fe7e991.jpg

Seeing that older Hedonism bottling, have you any idea of the age of the Oak Cross and Asyla is this shot— and if there's a significant difference in the liquid over the current releases? I came across these a couple of weeks ago and I'm sure they're still sitting in the same spot.

Thanks, Dave

IMG_7357.jpeg

9 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Seeing that older Hedonism bottling, have you any idea of the age of the Oak Cross and Asyla is this shot— and if there's a significant difference in the liquid over the current releases? I came across these a couple of weeks ago and I'm sure they're still sitting in the same spot.

Thanks, Dave

IMG_7357.jpeg

I don't personally (I'm a more recent Compass Box fan of the last couple of years), but hopefully some others will have more insight!  

Speaking of older - I wound up talking myself into rescuing that 2012 CB Flaming Heart.  While Irma's path still isn't certain, the thought of it not surviving was too much to bear.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.