What Water of Life did you purchase today? Spring/Summer 2017

savagehenry42
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thanks for the response. The best of luck to you and your bottles with the storm. I was doing work for Rémy Cointreau when Katrina struck Louisiana and was lucky enough to have several cases of Rémy V.S.O.P and The Macallan/Highland Park on-hand from various photo shoots. These bottles became the ultimate post-apocalyptic currency, allowing us to sail through National Guard checkpoints with ease.

Took delivery of these today from TWCP.  I'm very excited for this "fresh Sherry" Springbank and the JWG was a good buy at $55.

image.thumb.jpeg.35b77acee2ed76cfd5d24f373d6a94d5.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I love peated Benriach, and peated port, so these were a no brainer. First one is fresh Oloroso cask as well. Should see me through winter!

20170916_094942.jpg

I am envious of beasled's haul above, but I did at least mange to get a bottle of another Benriach bottling last night.

benriach_solstice_cropped.jpg

10 hours ago, beasled said:

I love peated Benriach, and peated port, so these were a no brainer. First one is fresh Oloroso cask as well. Should see me through winter!

You have actually have winter in the UK? :lol:

Cheers! Joe

3 hours ago, Journeyman said:

I am envious of beasled's haul above, but I did at least mange to get a bottle of another Benriach bottling last night.

benriach_solstice_cropped.jpg

Very nice sir! If I could find any more of these I'd be all over them. 

10 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

You have actually have winter in the UK? :lol:

Cheers! Joe

Low blow, Joe. Low blow... 

Of course we have winter. It's like the rest of the year (cloudy/overcast/raining), only colder. 

6 minutes ago, beasled said:

Low blow, Joe. Low blow... 

Of course we have winter. It's like the rest of the year (cloudy/overcast/raining), only colder. 

I occasionally give some crap to a few of our members over here. I figured I'd spread a little of it overseas too. ;)

30 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I occasionally give some crap to a few of our members over here. I figured I'd spread a little of it overseas too. ;)

Haha! Good to know you're diplomatic about these things. :D

I found a couple bottles of the old JW Gold 18 yr at a LS for $120 each. A little high, but I decided to bring one home and give it a try since I never tried it before they discontinued it in favor of JW Platinum 18yr. If I like it, I may go back and pick up the other since it's no longer made.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, beasled said:

Springbank 14 Bourbon Wood x 2. 

2017-09-20_1506.png

The bourbon wood looks good, looks like Cask Strength too, never seen that label style before.  How much did it set you back?  

36 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

The bourbon wood looks good, looks like Cask Strength too, never seen that label style before.  How much did it set you back?  

This was £55 a bottle. Pretty reasonable on this side of the pond.

They do random labels for special releases, like the look of this one.

Some good colour on this too, for bourbon wood!

Also picked up a Balvenie 14 Peat Week which is right in my wheelhouse of lightly peated bourbon barrel aged.  Reminds me of Caol Ila 17 unpeated (there's still some small peat taste in it)

On 9/16/2017 at 4:56 AM, beasled said:

20170916_094942.jpg

I just found a few of the 2005 Peated/Port available online and pulled the trigger.  A little under $100/ea with shipping.  If you open one soon I'd like to hear your thoughts.  Btw, nice pickup on the Springbank 14 Bourbon Cask....I hope some of that lands in my local.

8 minutes ago, Nm0369 said:

I just found a few of the 2005 Peated/Port available online and pulled the trigger.  A little under $100/ea with shipping.  If you open one soon I'd like to hear your thoughts.  Btw, nice pickup on the Springbank 14 Bourbon Cask....I hope some of that lands in my local.

So far I've had the 2005 port cask and it was terrific. Quite heavy on the peat and also on the port but it was very balanced between the two. Only had a few drams so far but I really liked it. Lots of earthy, smoked meats, raspberry jam (jello) notes... I picked a couple more up off the back of that one.

Let me know what you think when you get it!

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 11:47 AM, jvd99 said:

Picked up a dusty Springbank 14 Cask Strength sitting on the shelf since 2010

IMG_0903.JPG

IMG_0904.JPG

This is 14 years in a Manzanilla cask? That sounds interesting! How is it? While almost always interesting I have found some of their single casks to be a bit unbalanced at times, especially when compared to some of the batched finished casks like the recent 17yo Sherry Wood.

36 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

This is 14 years in a Manzanilla cask? That sounds interesting! How is it? While almost always interesting I have found some of their single casks to be a bit unbalanced at times, especially when compared to some of the batched finished casks like the recent 17yo Sherry Wood.

Didn't open it yet. I opened a few others instead.  This will be in the next wave in couple months.  

1 minute ago, jvd99 said:

Didn't open it yet. I opened a few others instead.  This will be in the next wave in couple months.  

Based on a Manzanilla in general I would expect/hope for bit of nutty character and maybe a bit more salinity than is typical for Springbank. Despite the distillery being practically in the Firth of Clyde they never seem as briny to me as the Islay distilleries. Not as stormy perhaps.

3 hours ago, beasled said:

Had my eye on this for a while, pulled the trigger having seen Ralfy's review. 

2017-09-27_1514.png

One of my favorites, though at least where I am not the easiest bottle to come by, my buddy brought back a Ballechin 10 Yr Cask Strength finished in Sauternes Casks that's probably in my top 5 pours, really wished there was another 50ml's in that bottle!!!!

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

One of my favorites, though at least where I am not the easiest bottle to come by, my buddy brought back a Ballechin 10 Yr Cask Strength finished in Sauternes Casks that's probably in my top 5 pours, really wished there was another 50ml's in that bottle!!!!

Nice. I've seen some others around, there's a port cask around at the moment... tempted!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.