What Water of Life did you purchase today? Spring/Summer 2017

savagehenry42
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 6/17/2017 at 11:37 AM, BigRich said:

This lovely landed in Atlanta. It tasted so good that I had to buy two. I also grabbed a Double Single to boot.
IMG_1571.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I take it you managed to get a taste before you bought? Pretty good, eh? I think we done good, especially for $50! Higher proof and much richer mouthfeel than the regular GKS with some nice spicyness and a very pleasant finish. 

Now everyone will want another one... :D

Wow, great idea and project. What's the proof on that bottle? I can't quite see it.

With the news of Old Pulteney 17 and 21 going away, I picked up a 21 for the bunker.  While I was at it, also picked up a couple more bottles of CB Spice Tree for good measure.

6 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

Wow, great idea and project. What's the proof on that bottle? I can't quite see it.

Mid 90's is what I remember. I have one in the harry, I mean trunk, but I don't recall the exact proof. Regular GKS is 86 and I know it is higher than that but not cask strength.

9 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I take it you managed to get a taste before you bought? Pretty good, eh? I think we done good, especially for $50! Higher proof and much richer mouthfeel than the regular GKS with some nice spicyness and a very pleasant finish. 

Now everyone will want another one... :D

I grabbed one of these as well. Really nice for $50. Definitely a step up from the regular bottling.

Now everyone will want another one... [emoji3]

Yep I did. Damn good whiskey. Excellent $50 whiskey. Promptly told a bunch of folks to go get some.

I also had another whiskey shipment come in. I ordered a bottle over seas special for my birthday next month and my wife has squirreled it away. As I often do when ordering over seas I did a little international whiskey arbitrage and grabbed a few "value priced" European bottles to optimize the shipping cost. A couple of 18 yr Glendronachs and a Glengoyne 25 now how a new American home.

5 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

With the news of Old Pulteney 17 and 21 going away, I picked up a 21 for the bunker. 

The 21 is going away? Damn, I really love that one

19 hours ago, Kpiz said:

Checked my bottles and this is at a solid 98 proof and carries every bit of it well. I could always use more but the bump in proof for this bottling was a lovely added benefit.

42 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Checked my bottles and this is at a solid 98 proof and carries every bit of it well. I could always use more but the bump in proof for this bottling was a lovely added benefit.

That's quite a nice increase in proof over the regular GKS. Good price, too, considering the extra proof and the cost for a new French oak barrel to finish it in. Is this something CB has done for other stores as well, or just Dekalb?

2 hours ago, Kpiz said:

That's quite a nice increase in proof over the regular GKS. Good price, too, considering the extra proof and the cost for a new French oak barrel to finish it in. Is this something CB has done for other stores as well, or just Dekalb?

My understanding is that there are a few of them but not that many. I know Binny's had selected several (The link is to one they got that is similar to ours. Except that we tried this sample and ours is even better! :D) and there may be a few others but not sure who or where. I think we are the only bottle of it in Atlanta. But I like to think we have a pretty good relationship with John Glaser so no doubt that helps.

Indeed, I will be visiting his office in London to see where the magic happens next week! It will be a highlight, maybe THE highlight, of the summer!

50 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

My understanding is that there are a few of them but not that many. I know Binny's had selected several (The link is to one they got that is similar to ours. Except that we tried this sample and ours is even better! :D) and there may be a few others but not sure who or where. I think we are the only bottle of it in Atlanta. But I like to think we have a pretty good relationship with John Glaser so no doubt that helps.

Indeed, I will be visiting his office in London to see where the magic happens next week! It will be a highlight, maybe THE highlight, of the summer!

Wow that should be quite an experience. I'm reminded of this old K&L blog post that shows John Glaser sitting at a desk with 5 whiskey bottles on the table and a ton of sample bottles on shelves behind him.

I assume you'll let us know if you convince him to do an SB exclusive blend :D

Just now, Kpiz said:

Wow that should be quite an experience. I'm reminded of this old K&L blog post that shows John Glaser sitting at a desk with 5 whiskey bottles on the table and a ton of sample bottles on shelves behind him.

I assume you'll let us know if you convince him to do an SB exclusive blend :D

Yes, I remember that as well. Don't know about an SB blend but we may try to twist his arm to do a DBH exclusive bottling. Assuming I can convince my friend who owns the store to spend the money 'cause it ain't gonna be cheap! Our own personal version of something like Flaming Heart would be good!

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Yes, I remember that as well. Don't know about an SB blend but we may try to twist his arm to do a DBH exclusive bottling. Assuming I can convince my friend who owns the store to spend the money 'cause it ain't gonna be cheap! Our own personal version of something like Flaming Heart would be good!

Ambitious! I can imagine that could get quite pricey, but seems like it would be a relatively easy sell to customers. I'd certainly buy a bottle!

39 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

Ambitious! I can imagine that could get quite pricey, but seems like it would be a relatively easy sell to customers. I'd certainly buy a bottle!

Yes, it may be a barrel too far as it were but we will see! Much will depend on how well the current special GKS sells, especially since it is only $50.

I picked up another bottle of the Cambus 25yo from K&L after trying it and liking it a lot

On 6/20/2017 at 3:40 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

Oh, I'd be in for some of them!!!  Also picked up my DBH GKS bottle - and unfortunately am preparing for a flight in a few hours (but just poured a 2oz sample to take with, so worst case I can try to run by in a week for another - provided any are left!)

With the news of Old Pulteney 17 and 21 going away, I picked up a 21 for the bunker.  While I was at it, also picked up a couple more bottles of CB Spice Tree for good measure.

So you prefer the 21 over the 17? It can't afford both. What would you suggest I stash away for later enjoyment?

To be honest, I have only had the 21 which is nice. I think I have a 17 in the bunker, but have not tried it. From what I gather, you can't really go wrong. Both the 17 and 21 are highly regarded. Go with price and availability that works for you.

Picked up a bottle of Kilchoman Loch Gorm (2016)

Already had an open bottle of Craigellachie 13, but couldn't pass up a deal at $39.99

Noticed a distinct lack of "naked" malts adorning my shelves, so I went for a bottle of Craigellachie 13.  

Noticed a distinct lack of "naked" malts adorning my shelves, so I went for a bottle of Craigellachie 13.  

G- that's a new term to me. How are defining "naked males". Bourbon barrel aged?

1 hour ago, BigRich said:

G- that's a new term to me. How are defining "naked males". Bourbon barrel aged?

Whoa boss, I'm here to talk about Whisky, not what happens inside a man's bedroom.

All joking about autocorrect aside, basically I was looking for something strong on barley character with enough age to be enjoyable, but that doesn't feature heavy influence from whatever the previous contents of the barrel we're, as well as not too much oak influence.  My whisky pusher recommended Craigellachie as having really clear barley flavor as an alternative to Glencadam 10, which was what I was wanting to buy (he was out of Glencadam 10).  As to the origin of "naked", I picked it up from Serge over on whiskyfun.

Edited by garbanzobean

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.