What Water of Life did you purchase today? Spring/Summer 2017

savagehenry42
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Whoa boss, I'm here to talk about Whisky, not what happens inside a man's bedroom.

All joking about autocorrect aside, basically I was looking for something strong on barley character with enough age to be enjoyable, but that doesn't feature heavy influence from whatever the previous contents of the barrel we're, as well as not too much oak influence.  My whisky pusher recommended Craigellachie as having really clear barley flavor as an alternative to Glencadam 10, which was what I was wanting to buy (he was out of Glencadam 10).  As to the origin of "naked", I picked it up from Serge over on whiskyfun.

I really do a fine enough job looking like a dumbass all by myself. I would appreciate it if Apple and Microsoft didn't feel the need to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, BigRich said:

I really do a fine enough job looking like a dumbass all by myself. I would appreciate it if Apple and Microsoft didn't feel the need to help.

I know, right?  How often is anyone actually trying to spell "ducking"?

Picked up another DBH GKS and couldn't in good conscience leave this behind at that price
ae1c0e3ec06ebca19d79ca0ad51b6344.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, GaryT said:

Picked up another DBH GKS and couldn't in good conscience leave this behind at that price
ae1c0e3ec06ebca19d79ca0ad51b6344.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Ya got lucky! :D

I almost bought that before my trip but decided to be "frugal" until I saw how much I spent on bottles while traveling. Haven't totaled up the damage yet. Not sure I want to...

Although maybe I will get some of the VAT back! I at least remembered to apply for it this time. That alone would have paid for this bottle...

19 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Ya got lucky! :D

I almost bought that before my trip but decided to be "frugal" until I saw how much I spent on bottles while traveling. Haven't totaled up the damage yet. Not sure I want to...

Although maybe I will get some of the VAT back! I at least remembered to apply for it this time. That alone would have paid for this bottle...

I'll take lucky :)  Hell - I considered myself lucky to pick up the others for $99 since suggest retail was $30 more in 2015!  Now I'm just hoping the GBS EC takes a bit longer so the wife doesn't ask about my whiskey budget - spreading out the money I've learned is key (even if the amount spent is the same!)

From the category of I'll use any excuse to buy any whiskey...Celebrating Bastille Day today with a newly purchased Bastille whiskey.  Viva la France!  

Oui...

Yes, Oui...nice mag...;)

Springbank 12 Burgundy x 2
Springbank 17 Sherry Wood [emoji2]

I didn't actually purchase this myself, but my boss just brought it back from Scotland and gave it to me.  Of course, I did throw some hints around about how sad I was that my previous bottle of this was almost gone!:D

IMG_6189.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

My box of cask strength goodies from our Scotland vacation made it home a few days ago and I'm one happy camper.

Lagavulin Islay Jazz Festival 2016

Lagavulin 16yr Feis Ile 2017

Cadenhead's 22yr Bruichladdich

Laphroaig 10yr Feb. 2017 Batch 009

Caol Ila 12yr Feis Ile 2017

20170726_201607.jpg

20170726_201637.jpg

1 hour ago, Vosgar said:

My box of cask strength goodies from our Scotland vacation made it home a few days ago and I'm one happy camper.

20170726_201607.jpg

20170726_201637.jpg

Nice haul!

16 hours ago, Vosgar said:

20170726_201607.jpg

20170726_201637.jpg

Cask strength 16 y/o Lag!  Wow!  That should be amazing!  Congrats!

What is the proof on the Cadenhead? I may have that same bottle of Bruichladdich. I think mine was 106.6. If so I think you will enjoy it! If you haven't already... :D

Well Bruce, looks like mine is from a different barrel, but I'm sure it will be enjoyable

cadenhead.jpg

Indeed. Bring it to Bardstown and we can do a SBS!

A few this week..

Glenfarclas 105

Laphroaig 10 Cask Strength 009

Deanston 18

Cheers!

6 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Indeed. Bring it to Bardstown and we can do a SBS!

Sounds like a great idea to me. I'll bring it!

Recently acquired a laphroaig 15 year 200th anniversary release.  Was about to buy an Ardbeg Ugedial or Corryvrekan, but saw this and grabbed it instead.  Always wanted to try a Lap 15, but never got one before it was discontinued a few years ago.

Picked up an Amrut Peated Cask Strength which was priced at $65.99 on the same shelf that had a bottle of CEHT BP for $150 admittedly I didn't feel bad about buying it at what was clearly a mismarked price, also grabbed a Bowmore 12 on the way out since they had it onsale for $30, I'm not the biggest fan of Bowmore but for the price I figured I could use it in cocktails, I do enjoy a smoky Martini on occasion. 

• 2 weeks later...

Received a Ledaig 13 year Blackadder Raw Cask. Gotta love the sediment in the bottle. It's almost a soup. 

Today I was able to find some more from Loch Lomond Distillery.  I picked up a bottle or the Reserve, the Inchmurrin Madeira Wood Finish from the Island Collection, and the Inchmurrin 12 year from the Island Collection. I also picked up a bottle of the Timorous Beastie from Douglas Laing & Co LTD admittedly because it of the name a cute looking mouse on it.

Today I purchased Glencadam 10 and Montgomeries Glen Ord 18 yr.  Glencadam 10 because I've been wanting to try this distillery for a few months, and an 85 from Serge is fairly high praise for such an inexpensive "naked" malt.  I also took a punt on the Ord at $99 because it's a new Distillery for me, and there seem to be lots of fans of it.  Can't find any reviews of this cask, but I can find good ones of several sister casks.

I just ordered a bottle of 1994 BenRiach 19yo finished in an Oloroso cask from K&L for $79.99, which is by far the cheapest I've ever seen these. They posted an interesting story on their spirits blog about how they were able to buy a bunch of it at a deep discount due to the sale of BenRiach and resulting distributor change: http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/klwinescom-spirits-blog/2017/8/17/pure-ridiculousness.html

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.