What Dram are you enjoying today? Spring/Summer 2017

savagehenry42
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Time for a new thread.

"We aren't living in the past or the present anymore. This is the future."

- Ted Striker

A nice & smooth Aberlour 12 at the moment.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally kicking a cold that lingered way too long, although the ol factory is still limping along.  Poured some Laphroaig PX last night that, which managed to cut through the fog.

A couple of pours of Springbank 10 before dinner.

3 hours ago, beasled said:

Spot of Old Pulteney 1989 to wind down the weekend. 

I'm extremely jealous! Big fan of Old Pulteney 21, how would you compare the 1989 to it?

Enjoying lovely post BBQ Sunday dinner pours of Lagavulin 8, Ardbeg 10 & Ardbeg Uigeadail

7 hours ago, Vosgar said:

I'm extremely jealous! Big fan of Old Pulteney 21, how would you compare the 1989 to it?

Not had the 21 myself! I've had the 12 and the 17 (which I loved). 

The 1989 is ever so lightly peated that it really just adds a hint of smoky spiciness to it. I was thinking last night it is like a well aged Clynelish.

14 hours ago, beasled said:

Spot of Old Pulteney 1989 to wind down the weekend. 

Screenshot_20170604-222833.png

This is on shelves near me, but the U.S. price just isn't one I can live with.  Ok to be fair it was on shelves near me, not sure if it still is.  I have been playing it a bit fast and loose with the overseas purchases of late, so I've been avoiding my usual haunts.

58 minutes ago, garbanzobean said:

This is on shelves near me, but the U.S. price just isn't one I can live with.  Ok to be fair it was on shelves near me, not sure if it still is.  I have been playing it a bit fast and loose with the overseas purchases of late, so I've been avoiding my usual haunts.

I paid UK retail which wasn't cheap and if I'm honest I would have preferred to have had a few more OP 17's for the price. It's good, no doubt, but not that good. 

Finished off the last of my bottle of Flaming Heart 2015 and moving on to Exclusive Malts Bowmore 2001.  

The Flaming Heart 2015 is getting replaced.  Probably with 2-3 bottles.  I'm going to get into trouble.

Cracked open my newly acquired Springbank 15.  Very interesting pour....it starts out like a highland or non sherried speyside, and then fades into a long finish with moderate smoke.

Went through several smallish pours this evening. Glendronach 12, Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban, Highland Park 12, Talisker 10 and then finished with a decent pour of Laphroaig 10. They're all good in their own way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My roommate brought home a bottle of this Benrinnes 19yo bottled by OMC for K&L last night, so naturally we opened it and had a taste. This turned out to be a nice, mildly fruity whisky with some creaminess to it, maybe a little toffee, and some nuttiness on the finish. I got some interesting tingly numbness towards the end (like I had eaten Sichuan peppercorns) which I've never really gotten from whisky before but that could have just been my palate being wonky.

Finishing the night with a small pour of Ardbeg Uigeadail.  This is a  dram that I struggle with most of the time but tonight it's awesome.  IMG_1190.thumb.JPG.0dc7332905259648f3b9e2008d4fe5ff.JPG

Finishing the night with a small pour of Ardbeg Uigeadail.  This is a  dram that I struggle with most of the time but tonight it's awesome.  IMG_1190.thumb.JPG.0dc7332905259648f3b9e2008d4fe5ff.JPG

I've had several bottles like that over the years where it just isn't working for me until that one moment when it really lights me up. To me, even if the whiskey is just okay, those are some of my coolest moments as a whiskey drinker.

Just polished off this bottle.  I think it is outstanding for a NAS Scotch under $100.  I need to go buy a few more bottles before it is replaced by the Edition #3 this fall.

IMG_5513.jpg

Having some Tobermory 10 this afternoon.  I enjoy both it and it's peated mate, Ledaig 10.

19 hours ago, NDN98 said:

Just polished off this bottle.  I think it is outstanding for a NAS Scotch under $100.  I need to go buy a few more bottles before it is replaced by the Edition #3 this fall.

IMG_5513.jpg

I certainly thought it was better than Edition 1 (which I didn't particularly care for so it wasn't a high bar...) but still seemed spendy to me for an NAS if were most anything other than Macallan.

4 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I certainly thought it was better than Edition 1 (which I didn't particularly care for so it wasn't a high bar...) but still seemed spendy to me for an NAS if were most anything other than Macallan.

Head to head, I actually prefer the Edition #2 to the Mac 18.  Its got a little more of a spice punch to it than the Mac 18, but it is still pretty smooth overall.

From last Friday, stopped in for a few drams at one of my favorites...

biVhARm.jpg

Old label CV. It's definitely got more barrel character than the current NAS label, which is seems a bit fresher and more spirit-driven. I'm not sure which I prefer, they're both great.

k87FBI7.jpg

First time trying a Dhu, it wasn't quite what I'd hoped. For the age, this was super hot indeed and could have taken a lot more water than I was willing to add. Lots of honey and bourbon (or straight oak) type influence, and very crisp in general. I'd prefer something that shows a bit more nuance and age.

yviEJuV.jpg

This rocked. Not the best older sherried malt I've ever had but it hit a lot of the sweet spot. Nice balsamic, good depth of sherry without being overbearing in any way, and just generally well balanced. Would love to have a full bottle of this.

Having some Ledaig 1998 Connoisseurs Choice. Can't beat Ledaig for briny peatiness I don't think. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.