What Dram are you enjoying today? Spring/Summer 2017

savagehenry42
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Same here, I had a pour as my last of the night yesterday after reading the posts you guys made, my local supermarket has it on sale for $40 might have to bunker a couple.

Bargain at that price!

Did a blind sbs of HP18 & Balvinie Peat Week.  Balvenie was the winner on the nose and HP was only marginally better on the palate.  For $60 less, the Balvenie is the better value to quality

16 hours ago, beasled said:

The 105 is quite something. Over the top indeed!

Yes. It's one of my faves to give to people who've already had the standard Highland and Speyside malts.

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 5:57 AM, BourbonDude said:

Right on! For myself I prefer the 10 yr., but they're both wonderful. The 12 yr. is certainly smoother and more elegant but I just prefer the power and intensity of the 10.

After all, it IS Caol Isla--the most weirdly wonderful of all the Islays. LOL.

Caol Ila is doing a 10yo now as an OB? The 12yo has been their primary baseline whisky for years until they joined the crowd and released an NAS called "Moch" a couple of years ago. Haven't seen a 10 yo other than from independent bottlers before.

16 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Caol Ila is doing a 10yo now as an OB? The 12yo has been their primary baseline whisky for years until they joined the crowd and released an NAS called "Moch" a couple of years ago. Haven't seen a 10 yo other than from independent bottlers before.

Right. I should have said I'm going back at least 20 years. I guess the 10 is no longer available, at least in the states. But I'll never forget it.

Just now, BourbonDude said:

Right. I should have said I'm going back at least 20 years. I guess the 10 is no longer available, at least in the states. But I'll never forget it.

That would explain it. I was hoping they weren't dropping the 12 and going to a 10.

42 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

That would explain it. I was hoping they weren't dropping the 12 and going to a 10.

Ahh. Yeah, no worries. The 12 is certainly great too.

The Arran 10 yr. Very nice. Not as impressive as the 14 yr. of course but much easier on the wallet.

Edited by BourbonDude

Macallan Ed. 1& 2

No. 1 has a slightly lighter color.  It's nose is sherry forward with lots of raisins.  Reminded me of Mac CS.  Palate does not have the heavy sherry from the nose, but the sherry is there, a little bitter at the end.  This is just OK.  This drinks hotter than No 2.  

No. 2 - Nose is not as sherry forward.  It's there but not overpowering.  Nose is more balanced and reminds me more of the 18 or 25.  This is sweeter on the palate, sherry influence is muted and no bitterness - a bit bland.  I think this OK but nothing out of the ordinary.  I like this better than the No. 1

This Edition series is getting very gimmicky and is kinda hit or miss.  However, for less than $100 and abv approaching 50%, its a decent way to experience Macallan

IMG_0923.JPG

On 6/13/2017 at 12:47 PM, Auracom said:

From last Friday, stopped in for a few drams at one of my favorites...

biVhARm.jpg

Old label CV. It's definitely got more barrel character than the current NAS label, which is seems a bit fresher and more spirit-driven. I'm not sure which I prefer, they're both great.

k87FBI7.jpg

First time trying a Dhu, it wasn't quite what I'd hoped. For the age, this was super hot indeed and could have taken a lot more water than I was willing to add. Lots of honey and bourbon (or straight oak) type influence, and very crisp in general. I'd prefer something that shows a bit more nuance and age.

yviEJuV.jpg

This rocked. Not the best older sherried malt I've ever had but it hit a lot of the sweet spot. Nice balsamic, good depth of sherry without being overbearing in any way, and just generally well balanced. Would love to have a full bottle of this.

Yes. I'm a big fan of cask strength Longmorns, on the few occasions I've seen cask strength bottles. 

Longrow and Dallas Dhu (meaning "Black Glen" if I remember right) are nice too. Dallas Dhu is one of the few scotches that can have a chocolate flavor.

Edited by BourbonDude

On 9/22/2017 at 7:29 PM, jvd99 said:

Did a blind sbs of HP18 & Balvinie Peat Week.  Balvenie was the winner on the nose and HP was only marginally better on the palate.  For $60 less, the Balvenie is the better value to quality

Right. I prefer the HP 12 to the 18. The 18 is smoother of course but the flavors are more muted. I just prefer the intensity of the 12, especially for the price. 

Edited by BourbonDude

Revisiting Springbank Local Barley 16 year. Lots of sweet and sour notes on this, appealingly bitter on the finish. Good stuff. 

IMG_0920.thumb.JPG.f9ed777168a96472cbd51cf81d147430.JPG

Nice cool fall evening with one of my favorites.  Disregard the dead grass...it doesn't rain here anymore. :lol:

Edited by Nm0369

19 hours ago, Nm0369 said:

IMG_0920.thumb.JPG.f9ed777168a96472cbd51cf81d147430.JPG

Nice cool fall evening with one of my favorites.  Disregard the dead grass...it doesn't rain here anymore. :lol:

Stellar bottle

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.