What Dram are you enjoying today? Spring/Summer 2017

savagehenry42
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 7/14/2017 at 3:13 PM, Tennessee Dave said:

Early birthday gift from my bride.  Wish you all had one like her.  This one is mine

.IMG_6086.jpg.3f057dca1bd380e889ea3e0134e52e9f.jpgIMG_6087.jpg.d1dc201f5f4d8cf1b2869304b46c7b8b.jpg

An excellent pour.  Congrats on the whisky and the good wife!

This one was gifted to me and I just opened it tonight and I really like it.  Might have to add it to the rotation.

IMG_6180.JPG

This one was gifted to me and I just opened it tonight and I really like it.  Might have to add it to the rotation.
IMG_6180.thumb.JPG.1a5599e494de2c31a9c78433abbeed32.JPG

I received a bottle of that for my birthday recently, and I agree with you...it's pretty good stuff. The price makes it a pretty good value too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been a good boy so Saturday night i treated myself  with the below three drams in order from left to right.  All are special drams for me.

IMG_6100.jpg

I haven't had the first two, but I love the last one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to shift a cold. Having some Talisker 10 and watching Donnie Darko. 

Screenshot_20170716-211316.png

A pour of my "oldest" whisky by date of purchase as well as opening...Mortlach 16 Flora and Fauna.  A very nice sherried Speyside bottling that was discontinued quite a few years ago.

Monkey Shoulder was on clearance and I couldn't find anything else that I didn't have or wanted.  :mellow:

Edited by Darwin

Wife and I had a celebration of sorts this weekend, so we popped the cork on a 23year Cadenhead's Ardbeg.

Found this guy sitting lonely on a shelf discounted to $50 figured it might be worth a taste.

IMG_20170725_220225554.jpg

On 7/24/2017 at 1:28 PM, clingman71 said:

Wife and I had a celebration of sorts this weekend, so we popped the cork on a 23year Cadenhead's Ardbeg.

interested in hearing about that one!  I love me some Ardbeg. Is that the 93?  That would have been the year I got married.

Drinking Compass Box Spice Tree Extravaganza.  I like it, but in my opinion, it isn't worth double the pice of the regular Spice Tree

I'm mixing it up a bit tonight with a Glengoyne 18

Bowmore 15 yr. darkest sherry cask and the Jura 12 yr. Probably haven't had the Jura in 20 years given that it's sorta overshadowed by the other Islays, not to mention Talisker, but it was fine.

On 6/7/2017 at 2:48 AM, lcpfratn said:

Went through several smallish pours this evening. Glendronach 12, Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban, Highland Park 12, Talisker 10 and then finished with a decent pour of Laphroaig 10. They're all good in their own way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice lineup there. It would make a good introduction to single malts for the uninitiated.

Nice lineup there. It would make a good introduction to single malts for the uninitiated.

Can't argue with that!

13 hours ago, BourbonDude said:

Bowmore 15 yr. darkest sherry cask and the Jura 12 yr. Probably haven't had the Jura in 20 years given that it's sorta overshadowed by the other Islays, not to mention Talisker, but it was fine.

I know Bowmore Darkest gets a bad rap sometimes, but I enjoy it.  I've never tried anything from Jura (which incidentally is on Isle of Jura, not Islay).  How did you like it?  Does anyone have a recommended expression from their standard bottlings?  We've got most everything up to the 30 year out here, though I have no intention of buying that particular wooden case and glass display bottle that comes with liquor in it.

Some Glenturret 28 yr after dinner is getting it done. Creamy and delicious.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

I know Bowmore Darkest gets a bad rap sometimes, but I enjoy it.  I've never tried anything from Jura (which incidentally is on Isle of Jura, not Islay).  How did you like it?  Does anyone have a recommended expression from their standard bottlings?  We've got most everything up to the 30 year out here, though I have no intention of buying that particular wooden case and glass display bottle that comes with liquor in it.

Oops, just poor wording about Jura--my bad--which of course is from Jura. :-)

I can only speak of the 12 yr. sherry cask. In the old days I could only find the non-sherried version. I'd be interested in anyone's thoughts about the more advanced ages, as the standard 12 yr. Jura, although perfectly drinkable, just doesn't seem to have enough overall character and intensity of flavor so that I'd be curious to find out what some extra aging would do to it.

But getting back to the 12 yr. sherry cask, I find this Jura to be a medium bodied malt, perfectly drinkable, but without any great character or intensity to otherwise grab my interest. I guess I just expect malts produced on North Sea islands to pick up more iodine, sea salt and briny-ness, and peat given that so much of the water flows thru the local peat bogs. 

But the peat, although not strong, is certainly there and adds to the experience, and helps to balance the sweetness of the sherry. It's definitely more intense than Bunnahabvain, which comes in at only 3 ppm of peat, vs. Ardbeg at 55. As far as flavors go, nothing really jumps out me, except a pleasant cereal grain maltiness, which is where all single malts basically start before they get really interesting. 

So for me, basically, a nice, drinkable malt with enough sherry and peat to make up for a rather unremarkable flavor profile. Others mileage may vary.

3 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Can't argue with that!

Yes. In fact, we recently hosted a tasting with about 20 people (mostly beginners) where we used most of those malts, adding the Springbank 12 yr. and the Oban 14 yr. to round out the evening. And for those who already had and liked the Laphroaig 10 yr., we had the Ardbeg 10 yr. and Caol Ila 12 yr. to try.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.