Austrian Rye Whisky

Vosgar
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Has anyone ever had Waldviertler Whisky J.H. Original Rye from Austria? According to the review in Whisky Advocate it's not available in the U.S., so this question is directed more towards our European members (although I wouldn't be surprised if our current BOTY has a bottle :D). It's a 60% rye, 40% malted barley whisky bottled at only 41% ABV, but the short blurb in WA intrigued me. Mrs. Vosgar and I are headed to Scotland this summer and I'm thinking of seeing if any of the whisky shops over there have it.

Edited by Vosgar

14 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Has anyone ever had Waldviertler Whisky J.H. Original Rye from Austria? According to the review in Whisky Advocate it's not available in the U.S., so this question is directed more towards our European members (although I wouldn't be surprised if our current BOTY has a bottle :D). It's a 60% rye, 40% malted barley whisky bottled at only 41% ABV, but the short blurb in WA intrigued me. Mrs. Vosgar and I are headed to Scotland this summer and I'm thinking of seeing if any of the whisky shops over there have it.

I have an Austrian malt whisky from Hans Reisetbauer but not a rye. There is a French rye called Vulson Old Rhino Rye that is now 4yo that I have been curious about. It is available in London apparently. Not sure how readily you might find odd bottles like that in Scotland though.

Didn't see the Waldviertler available at the Whisky Exchange so might be tough to find even in London.

5 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Didn't see the Waldviertler available at the Whisky Exchange so might be tough to find even in London.

Agree with you 100% Bruce, chances are slim to none. We're flying in to Edinburgh and I've checked the shops there without success, but it's still an excuse to look!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.