Cheap Whiskey Glass

sstoots
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was in the Dollar Tree store today buying some birthday  and  Fathers Day cards,  and after going up and down a few aisles I saw a small glass that caught my eye.       It was a small green Coca Cola glass for .59 that was shaped very much like a Glencarin glass;

narrow at the bottom and large at the top.!    I doubt anyone would drink their bourbon out of one with any guests around, but ......

10337910.jpg?fit=inside|1024:1024

If you're looking for a cheap tasting glass these can be found at Michael's for $.99 each.

I've picked up most of my glasses over the years from second hand stores.  Some of it was probably pilfered from bars or restaurants.  Other stuff was from holiday gift packages.  Garage and estate sales are good too.

I like: Arcoroc, Luminarc, Libby, Anchor Hocking brands.

I'm cheap - my hidden bourbon glass down by my chair in the TV room is an empty jar of Bon Maman Strawberry Jam.   :rolleyes:

19 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

10337910.jpg?fit=inside|1024:1024

If you're looking for a cheap tasting glass these can be found at Michael's for $.99 each.

That looks suspiciously like the glasses one puts squat candles in.  OTOH, I'm not picking, I'm just commenting.  Uh, how wide is the mouth?  Can one sniff while sipping, or does the nose hang outside?  We have a Michael's near us, and . . .

5 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

That looks suspiciously like the glasses one puts squat candles in.  OTOH, I'm not picking, I'm just commenting.  Uh, how wide is the mouth?  Can one sniff while sipping, or does the nose hang outside?  We have a Michael's near us, and . . .

It is a votive candle holder.  I forget how wide it is but I think it would work for bourbon.  If you had a bunch of people over for a tasting they would be great to have.

I'm going to have to visit Michaels!     That looks like it would function well as a bourbon glass.

On June 6, 2017 at 5:06 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

I have some, and use them for small tastings.  It's the middle one in the pic.  With a Glencairn and other votive candle holder/tasting glass  :D  for reference.

image.jpg

22 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Cardsandbourbon said:

It is a votive candle holder.  I forget how wide it is but I think it would work for bourbon.  If you had a bunch of people over for a tasting they would be great to have.

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

I have some, and use them for small tastings.  It's the middle one in the pic.  With a Glencairn and other votive candle holder/tasting glass  :D  for reference.

image.jpg

Thanks.  "Votive".  THAT'S what I meant.  Still use my SB Glencairn, but I know we have a half dozen of the round ones someplace.  I like those middle ones for tastings, though.

My Martini/Manhattan Glasses came from the Dollar Tree. I've definitely got my money's worth out of them.

15 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Thanks.  "Votive".  THAT'S what I meant.  Still use my SB Glencairn, but I know we have a half dozen of the round ones someplace.  I like those middle ones for tastings, though.

17 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Votive, shmotive.  :lol:  I like your "squat" better Harry, because it's simplistically descriptive.  Just like America!  A downside to the middle glass is that a not-much-more than a slight jerk of an even low filled glass results in a hydro-dynamic phenomena that brings about a big spill out of the glass and over everything. 

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Votive, shmotive.  :lol:  I like your "squat" better Harry, because it's simplistically descriptive.  Just like America!  A downside to the middle glass is that a not-much-more than a slight jerk of an even low filled glass results in a hydro-dynamic phenomena that brings about a big spill out of the glass and over everything. 

Thanks for the warning.  I will pass on them then.  I have been known to knock dinner plates off a table with a sweep of my hand, topple bottles from a sideboard just by looking at them, and spilling wine bottles before I get the corks out.  At least that's what I tell people when they ask, "WTF are you DOING?"  So tonight it's VOB BIB"6" in the SB Glencairn.

• 4 months later...

My sipping glass is an old antique stemless wine glass. It is 2 inches wide at the top, 6 inches tall and weighs exactly 33 ounces. I bought it thinking that it might be possible to sip from it, and it is. I can get a biceps workout while I am sampling. I have found that it really enhances the whole experience, and I quite enjoy sipping from it. It cost me $9.00, but I am glad I found it.

2 hours ago, Ace1943 said:

My sipping glass is an old antique stemless wine glass. It is 2 inches wide at the top, 6 inches tall and weighs exactly 33 ounces. I bought it thinking that it might be possible to sip from it, and it is. I can get a biceps workout while I am sampling. I have found that it really enhances the whole experience, and I quite enjoy sipping from it. It cost me $9.00, but I am glad I found it.

I often sip out of a stemless wine glass(although not antique) when I have used all of my rocks glasses.  I really enjoy using them as well

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.