Parker's Heritage 11 (2017)

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

20 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Picked up a bottle this afternoon.     I won't open it for a while, though.   :(    I'm using a particular special mouthwash 3-times a day for a while (prescribed by my dentist) and it changes my taste buddies massively.   :o

...And, not for the better.   :angry:

So I'll wait 'til all that ends to pour anything.

BOO on the mouthwash/taste buddies scenario (but glad you were able to snag one!)  Didn't want to "like" the post, but I do "like" part of it ;) 

Edited by GaryT

• 2 weeks later...

I opened this sucka up this afternoon.    I hafta say; I'm a bit underwhelmed.   :(

Don't get me wrong.    It's very good Bourbon whiskey; but I've had PH that I liked more than a bit better than this bottle; at least upon this initial taste.  

Being a Single Barrel offering, that is always a possibility; but, I really wished/hoped the HH folx woulda been more choosy about which barrels were bottled as PH.  

To my taste buddies on this day, this one seems rather unbalanced, and more than a little oaky. 

FYI it's from barrel # S(or 5?)016043.   There's a laser etched 'tattoo' on the back in tiny characters that reads: H2727 on line 1, and 1041 on line two.

All this could be my world-renowned weird palate.    I am widely known for having wildly 'off' days.   :blink:

Maybe this is one of em; but I also had a pour of a vatting I'd done (65% OGDBIB - 35% Old Fitz BIB), and it tasted exactly as I expected it to taste.     ....And, I hafta say... I think I liked that pour as well as the PH!  :rolleyes:

I'll revisit the PH in a few days and see if it (or I?) have improved at all.

20 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

I opened this sucka up this afternoon.    I hafta say; I'm a bit underwhelmed.   :(

Don't get me wrong.    It's very good Bourbon whiskey; but I've had PH that I liked more than a bit better than this bottle; at least upon this initial taste.  

Being a Single Barrel offering, that is always a possibility; but, I really wished/hoped the HH folx woulda been more choosy about which barrels were bottled as PH.  

To my taste buddies on this day, this one seems rather unbalanced, and more than a little oaky. 

FYI it's from barrel # S(or 5?)016043.   There's a laser etched 'tattoo' on the back in tiny characters that reads: H2727 on line 1, and 1041 on line two.

All this could be my world-renowned weird palate.    I am widely known for having wildly 'off' days.   :blink:

Maybe this is one of em; but I also had a pour of a vatting I'd done (65% OGDBIB - 35% Old Fitz BIB), and it tasted exactly as I expected it to taste.     ....And, I hafta say... I think I liked that pour as well as the PH!  :rolleyes:

Bummed to read this! 

When I tasted the right from the barrel back in June, I was blown away. I figured they had an exceptional barrel picked for us to taste from, but I was still hoping the QC would be up to enough snuff to only pick great barrels for the release.

I still need to crack mine. Fingers crossed.

If your bottle doesn't improve for you, I'll probably offer to take it off your hands. I'm keeping the faith!

Imho it's not bad at all, but more or less what you expect from a good HH bourbon. Nothing exciting or surprising here. I think I like that element of surprise in a LE.

Anyways, after trying it at a bar last week and commenting here that it is "good stuff", I passed on a bottle yesterday. I was already satisfied.

Well okay to be honest I went back that same night and it wasn't there anymore :) At least I didn't feel bad about the missed opportunity.

11 hours ago, flahute said:

Bummed to read this! 

When I tasted the right from the barrel back in June, I was blown away. I figured they had an exceptional barrel picked for us to taste from, but I was still hoping the QC would be up to enough snuff to only pick great barrels for the release.

I still need to crack mine. Fingers crossed.

If your bottle doesn't improve for you, I'll probably offer to take it off your hands. I'm keeping the faith!

Well.   That is very nice of you, sir!    I'm still hopeful; but expectations are tempered, now.

This is the ONLY BOTTLE my local connection received!   ...After he bought a barrel of EC a few months back. 

The distributors in Michigan are like God Almighty.    They can decide to offer you a nice selection of the brands they purvey, or very few... or non at all; and there ain't doodly you can do about it.

...And, there is virtually no competition, since hardly any brands are serviced by more than one distributor in any given territory.      Basically, they have the LS proprietors (& therefor us) by the short hairs.

Well.   That is very nice of you, sir!    I'm still hopeful; but expectations are tempered, now.
This is the ONLY BOTTLE my local connection received!   ...After he bought a barrel of EC a few months back. 
The distributors in Michigan are like God Almighty.    They can decide to offer you a nice selection of the brands they purvey, or very few... or non at all; and there ain't doodly you can do about it.
...And, there is virtually no competition, since hardly any brands are serviced by more than one distributor in any given territory.      Basically, they have the LS proprietors (& therefor us) by the short hairs.

The distributor situation is almost the same in Tennessee. There are several distributors, but there is no crossover of brands amongst them, so the distributors still have a regional monopoly on the brands they carry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

53 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

The distributor situation is almost the same in Tennessee. There are several distributors, but there is no crossover of brands amongst them, so the distributors still have a regional monopoly on the brands they carry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yup.    Does anybody suppose they won't be raping folx on LE's as far as distribution, and price.     I'm sure many already are.  

My guy says he gets 'offered' a better selection sometimes; but only if he buys a whole bunch of "such-and-such" (crap nobody wants).

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, Kane said:

Imho it's not bad at all, but more or less what you expect from a good HH bourbon. Nothing exciting or surprising here. I think I like that element of surprise in a LE.

Anyways, after trying it at a bar last week and commenting here that it is "good stuff", I passed on a bottle yesterday. I was already satisfied.

Well okay to be honest I went back that same night and it wasn't there anymore :) At least I didn't feel bad about the missed opportunity.

I sampled it at Whiskyfest NY on Thursday and agree.  It's as good as an EC store picks at a LE price.  Honestly, given a blind sample, I would have guessed  EC.   The last three PH releases have really disappointed me.   It's a shame since the Golden Anniversary and 27  are two of the best bourbons I have ever tasted. 

The seminar on blending your own EC small batch from four different barrel proof samples, however, was a true winner and you got to take home 100ml of your blend. 

Yup.    Does anybody suppose they won't be raping folx on LE's as far as distribution, and price.     I'm sure many already are.  
My guy says he gets 'offered' a better selection sometimes; but only if he buys a whole bunch of "such-and-such" (crap nobody wants).

That's exactly what they do on the LE's in Tennessee. The cost to the LS is greater than suggested retail in many cases so it looks like they are charging a premium at retail when sometimes they are not. There still are some stores that gouge on LE pricing, but most don't. They just can't price LE bottles at prices that I see in other states. And as you also alluded to, in order to get better allocations of the "good stuff", they have to agree to take and hopefully sell a lot of crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I opened this sucka up this afternoon.    I hafta say; I'm a bit underwhelmed.   [emoji20]

Rich, a buddy got a bottle recently and cracked it after dinner on Thursday. My impressions are the same as yours. Good whiskey for sure but nothing exceptional. I would put it second to last on my ranking PH releases. The Malt being a huge swing and a miss in my opinion.

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, BigRich said:

Rich, a buddy got a bottle recently and cracked it after dinner on Thursday. My impressions are the same as yours. Good whiskey for sure but nothing exceptional. I would put it second to last on my ranking PH releases. The Malt being a huge swing and a miss in my opinion.

Yeah, that would be my placement on the scale as well.     Although I didn't hate the Malt, once I decided not to expect it be anything at all like anything I'd ever tasted.   It sure as hell isn't.     Yet, I don't mind it once in a while, over a cube.

Was at a friends blind tasting the other night, lots of good stuff, mix of bourbon and single malt, which is an interesting set up to say the least, and the Parkers Malt scored very high. Blind tasting has taught me a lot about the power of suggestion, as in you read about how good/bad something is and it clouds your judgement, example Parkers Malt, a number of us were "this stuff is suppose to be not that good" yet it rated in everyone's top 3 (There were 6 in the tasting).

• I like it 1

I dont really have experience with other PHC releases but I think this release is very good bourbon. It didn't "blow me away" but Is still very good. I would put it ahead of any ECBP batch I've tried (6, 9, 11, 12, A, and B) and I really like ECBP. Barrel 5005866. 

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, birdie said:

Was at a friends blind tasting the other night, lots of good stuff, mix of bourbon and single malt, which is an interesting set up to say the least, and the Parkers Malt scored very high. Blind tasting has taught me a lot about the power of suggestion, as in you read about how good/bad something is and it clouds your judgement, example Parkers Malt, a number of us were "this stuff is suppose to be not that good" yet it rated in everyone's top 3 (There were 6 in the tasting).

Quite true!

I tasted Parker's Malt in a double blind scenario a year and a half ago. With no info to go on, I assumed it was a bourbon, and even though I correctly identified it as being an odd flavor profile unlike any I had tasted, I gave it high marks. 

Regarding this year's release, I've now cracked my bottle and had pours on two separate occasions. I like it a lot. It's nothing like ECBP to me. Still getting used to it, but some complexity is starting to come through. I do need to get the proof right for it to work. We'll have to see if that persists. So far so good though, for me.

On 11/19/2017 at 8:18 AM, Richnimrod said:

Know the frustration, typically my guy is good for at least one bottle, but I’ve been told the distributor has been playing games with this years release, which has forced me to look in each and every direction. ????

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone else thought this pour has a musty/funky finish? I mean that in a very good way personally. I know it’s a single barrel product as well so there will be variations among the different barrels we all get but just curious if it’s just me with that impression so far.

by the way I tried this side by side with this year’s GTS and I preferred the Parker’s. And I had tried the GTS previously and liked it. For so far I feel like this release is flying under the radar a little bit kind of like Promise of Hope. But that was fine with me because I loved that whiskey and was able to get a bunch of bottles of it because it wasn’t overhyped

• I like it 1

Has anyone else thought this pour has a musty/funky finish? I mean that in a very good way personally. I know it’s a single barrel product as well so there will be variations among the different barrels we all get but just curious if it’s just me with that impression so far.

by the way I tried this side by side with this year’s GTS and I preferred the Parker’s. And I had tried the GTS previously and liked it. For so far I feel like this release is flying under the radar a little bit kind of like Promise of Hope. But that was fine with me because I loved that whiskey and was able to get a bunch of bottles of it because it wasn’t overhyped

Not sure about the musty/funky finish, but I agree, I definitely like it more than this year’s GTS. This is truly delicious bourbon.

I get a bit of that Musty thing which I like, overall the flavor profile is far enough away from ECBP (even after adding a few drops of water to the ECBP) to keep this one interesting. 

• I like it 1

• 3 months later...

I was wondering, what does a bottle of Parker's Heritage go for at the LS? What is the MSRP?

I'm seeing them listed for 500$ - 800$ and can not believe that they sell for that.

Who really wants to drink 500$+ 750mL bottles? Seems absurd

8 hours ago, Dannabis said:

I was wondering, what does a bottle of Parker's Heritage go for at the LS? What is the MSRP?

I'm seeing them listed for 500$ - 800$ and can not believe that they sell for that.

Look at it like this, their are a lot people that just paid more than $500 for a single ticket to see an opening day game of baseball...... that only lasted 3 to 4 hours...... 

On 4/7/2018 at 1:03 PM, Dannabis said:

I think the most recent was maybe $130-135 at retail. Presuming you could find one at retail. In the early days it was more like about $75 I guess. Some liquor stores also mark them up a god bit now and secondary prices are usually just stupid.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.