What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Summer 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

If you've been following my posts, these days I'm usually hanging out with kids at cheap dives and college parties. Just tried the JD Honey flavored something for the first time. It's actually pretty good as far as fancy sweet drinks go, and didn't make me hate humanity like Fireball did. But whiskey it isn't.

Old Forester Single Barrel Store Pick.  I am going to miss this one when it's gone.  One of the best pours I have had from OF, including the OFBB.

Small pour of a CEHT SiB tonight. I really like this one, but I like the SmB at least as much - so unlikely to replace this one.

I got together with Vosgar and a few others from our local bourbon/cigar group tonight. It's been three weeks since our last meeting, so naturally tonight was a great night. We had a good time catching up and bull s**ting, and of course the bourbon was great. We enjoyed a ps EC18, ps KCSB, Beam Signature Craft 12 year old, and one "unknown". FWIW, the unknown was from one of our guys that forgot what he put in his flask. :huh: Cigars, bourbon, trash talking and story telling, and above all, good friends. "Don't git no better'n that Vern." ;)

Cheers! Joe

^^^^^Nice Joe!! That's how it's done.

On topic, I have this bottle of JTS Brown BIB that is too young and harsh for my palate. I also have this bottle of EC21 that tastes like sawdust. So.......what to do? Try blending it out.

I have two small blends going. 1part EC21 to 2parts JTS to 4 parts EC NAS, and, 1 part EC21 to 6 parts EC NAS.

The first one is a bit better at the moment but neither is great. Need to keep working on it. Might need more time to marry as well.

On topic, I have this bottle of JTS Brown BIB that is too young and harsh for my palate. I also have this bottle of EC21 that tastes like sawdust. So.......what to do? Try blending it out.
I have two small blends going. 1part EC21 to 2parts JTS to 4 parts EC NAS, and, 1 part EC21 to 6 parts EC NAS.
The first one is a bit better at the moment but neither is great. Need to keep working on it. Might need more time to marry as well.

Add some Dickel to it! [emoji12][emoji56] Steve, I just couldn't help myself knowing how "fond" you are of Dickel. On a serious note, what about trying something a bit younger with a sweeter profile from HH...perhaps something like EWB, EWBIB or the HH6BIB?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Add some Dickel to it! emoji12.pngemoji56.png Steve, I just couldn't help myself knowing how "fond" you are of Dickel. On a serious note, what about trying something a bit younger with a sweeter profile from HH...perhaps something like EWB, EWBIB or the HH6BIB?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Haha! YEs.......

Great idea actually. Now, if only I had some EWB or BIB. (I do have some HH6BIB but I'm not going to risk that nectar of the gods on experimental blends). I can easily acquire some EWBIB however.

Sometimes I wish they'd just release the older ECs as small batch blends rather than as single barrels. It seems like they could create a blend that was solid rather than having some barrels be great and others me meh. I gave a friend an EC21 SB for his wedding present a few years ago and it was excellent (he let me try some), but they seem to get mixed reviews.

Anyways, it was a 94 proof kind of night for me. I started with Willett Pot Still Reserve, which is tasting much better than it did last nigh when I opened it, followed by an excellent PS of EC that is full of nice berry flavors.

Pink Floyd playing the tunes. Just polished off my dram of OWA and took it down a few notches with WT101 (w/3 drops of water). 

Huzzah.

unnamed-2.thumb.jpg.711da4220c5851e639a0df4643fbf829.jpg

On 20/09/2017 at 4:14 AM, HoustonNit said:

Maybe I'm just a nerd but I think Old/history is cool. I'm probably not the only as a lot of the craft guys try to come up with some old history BS.

Those pisans at Campari need to get there stuff together.

Don't get me wrong, i love the historic part, the old label was a good reminder of that. The new label is design to get the attention of younger people, that 's why i used the word "cool", i didn't say that history is not cool, it's big part of the brand. 

Old Bones 10 yr. Reserve. A high rye percentage (at 40%) bourbon, and 110 proof. Has a fleeting but interesting key lime flavor on the palate. Overall I'm pretty impressed.

Edited by BourbonDude

2 hours ago, BourbonDude said:

Old Bones 10 yr. Reserve. A high rye percentage (at 40%) bourbon, and 110 proof. Has a fleeting but interesting key lime flavor on the palate. Overall I'm pretty impressed.

NDP I assume? Who makes it, any idea?

2 hours ago, BourbonDude said:

I think Old Bones is MGP. I've been tempted by this, but it's expensive ($100-130) for NDP 10yr old, even if it is cask strength. That's pricier than SAOS, Belle Meade, and even Mayor Pingree stuff with similar specs (all from MGP). I sure hope it was good for the price.

Currently, I've got an OBSK 8y 6m from Astor poured now, while watching a movie.

Edited by silverc

22 hours ago, flahute said:

what to do? Try blending it out.

I tried blending out some lackluster demerara rum the other night into a different single cask demerara rum which is on the vicious side.

That was one of the best drinks I've had this year! I'm buying more of the lackluster one specifically for this purpose!

Blade & Bow 22yr to start the evening followed up by an 8 1/2 yr old BT SB to cap off a rather sh:)(y day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a wheater Thursday for me. W12, RY10SB and WA107. This doesn't win all the time but tonight the W12 hit the spot.

Two pours of JDSB BP. This is seriously good stuff, but looks like I underestimated the proof, feeling tipsy for the first time in a long time.

1 hour ago, The Black Tot said:

I tried blending out some lackluster demerara rum the other night into a different single cask demerara rum which is on the vicious side.

That was one of the best drinks I've had this year! I'm buying more of the lackluster one specifically for this purpose!

Hmmmm.....perhaps I should try blending this with something else that stinks.

Tried a blend with ECNAS, ECBP, and the EC21 tonight. The best blend so far but not good enough to convince me to use up valuable ECBP on a blend. Time to branch out and try whiskies from other distilleries.

Currently drinking some RRSiB. A Crusaders pick that ended up being a short barrel. Fantastic stuff. More and more do I find myself being constantly drawn to the Turkey profile. These guys and 4R. Must be something in the water in and around Lawrenceburg.

2 minutes ago, flahute said:

Must be something in the water in and around Lawrenceburg.

If we ever start a distillery we can place it smack dab between them and call it either Wild Roses, or, probably more appropriately if two other sb members get involved, Four Turkeys.

• I like it 1

On 9/19/2017 at 9:16 PM, HoustonNit said:

Having a pour of a similar age 1L WT101. Am I crazy or do the bottles from 10 years back seem to have more spice, as if they had more rye in the mash.

For me, I have had both ends of the rye spectrum. Some of the older Turkey has had gobs of sweetness with mild spice, fewer have been over spiced. As always,

YMMV

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.