What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Summer 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

If we ever start a distillery we can place it smack dab between them and call it either Wild Roses, or, probably more appropriately if two other sb members get involved, Four Turkeys.

Too good. We MUST do this.

2 minutes ago, flahute said:

At the VERY least it's a good name for a 4 man barrel pick...

Just now, The Black Tot said:

At the VERY least it's a good name for a 4 man barrel pick...

Given that this is more realistic, I am 100% IN. 

Never thought I'd say this but...Can I be one of those turkeys?

I'm doing some research in preparation and drinking a very nice store select OBSF. Yeast is important, very important...

9 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

I'm doing some research in preparation and drinking a very nice store select OBSF. Yeast is important, very important...

You are in. Appreciation for the Lawrenceburg distilleries is key.

Gobble Gobble for Four Roses. 

Gotta time it right though, you don't want to get stuck waiting for the train to pass. Those that have been there know what I mean. 

;-))

7 hours ago, dcbt said:

NDP I assume? Who makes it, any idea?

I see Apprentice already responded to your questions.

Yeah, I had no info when I bought it, but it was an impulse buy at a local store that was having their twice a year sale. I still paid just under $100 for it. The only other info I can give is that the label says it was distilled in Lawrenceburg, IN, and bottled in Bardstown, KY.

8 hours ago, silverc said:

I think Old Bones is MGP. I've been tempted by this, but it's expensive ($100-130) for NDP 10yr old, even if it is cask strength. That's pricier than SAOS, Belle Meade, and even Mayor Pingree stuff with similar specs (all from MGP). I sure hope it was good for the price.

Currently, I've got an OBSK 8y 6m from Astor poured now, while watching a movie.

Thanks for responding to dcbt's questions.

Right. It definitely is good, which makes me give it a nod given how disappointed I've been by the $100 or more bourbons I've tried over the last two years (Jefferson's Grand Select Sauternes finish, Blood Oath #2 and #3, etc.).  I'm having my third pour of the evening and it's certainly a beautiful bourbon, done in a big, flavorful, pre-Prohib style, which I like. And it's complex enough so that it took me a couple of pours to tease out many of the flavors.

The only reservation I have is, like you said, there are other excellent choices that are cheaper. I'd add Booker's, Stagg, and Noah's Mill, all fine, similarly high-octane juice but significantly cheaper. Still, in these days of more and more expensive bourbon at younger and younger ages, a real 10-yr. I haven't tried makes me stand up and take notice. So I went for it, and I'm glad I did, perhaps mainly because I don't feel as dumb as when I tried the Jefferson's and Blood Oath, which were even more expensive at around $130. ;-(

Edited by BourbonDude

1 hour ago, BourbonDude said:

I see Apprentice already responded to your questions.

Yeah, I had no info when I bought it, but it was an impulse buy at a local store that was having their twice a year sale. I still paid just under $100 for it. The only other info I can give is that the label says it was distilled in Lawrenceburg, IN, and bottled in Bardstown, KY.

Oops, I meant silverc.

Can I procure a bottle from the four turkeys picks?

On 9/19/2017 at 7:48 PM, Stump1998 said:

Got to say for $10 bucks and some change this is good!

IMG_4937.JPG

Never found, but would love to try this. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 12:05 AM, The Black Tot said:

If we ever start a distillery we can place it smack dab between them and call it either Wild Roses, or, probably more appropriately if two other sb members get involved, Four Turkeys.

Might be faster to blend a Wild Turkey 101 with a FR barrel pick. Easier certainly! And cheaper. Or maybe use RR 10yo bourbon? Or would that be a Russell's Rose? :huh:

58 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Might be faster to blend a Wild Turkey 101 with a FR barrel pick. Easier certainly! And cheaper. Or maybe use RR 10yo bourbon? Or would that be a Russell's Rose? :huh:

A RR101 with a Private Selection? Could end up Russell's Privates...

Edited by The Black Tot
  • I like it 2

14 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

A RR101 with a Private Selection? Could end up Russell's Privates...

Now there is a name worthy of consideration!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.