What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Summer 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

25 minutes ago, elmossle said:

If your going to be there a week, might I suggest a bigger bottle!

No doubt.  Already have plans to go "shopping " tomorrow and will hopefully be purchasing things I can't buy back in Texas.

Edited by NDN98

4 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Couldn't find a batch number but it is 129.5 proof  . . .  and worth standing in line for. :)

That's the most recent one, Batch 8

7 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

That's the most recent one, Batch 8

Thanks.  I looked all over the bottle but couldn't find a batch number.  Was it part of the numbers laser etched onto the bottle?

I picked this up as the family and I were traveling through Louisville KY on our way back to Missouri at the tail end of vacation last week. I posted a pic of my bourbon haul (modest as it was) in the " What bourbon did you purchase today? Summer 2017 bragfest!" thread and had a handful of members ask me to report back with my thoughts once I'd tried it. Cracked it open last night and so here ya go...

To my taste buds this bourbon has good potential but would benefit greatly from some extra time in the barrel. There is promise here of some wonderful stuff but it's just a little "green" at 3 years. I get a touch of some of those key flavors we all love... Some brown sugar, a little buttery-ness, a touch of spice... But it's all a little overshadowed by some grain and a bit of something that reminds me of super fresh light roast coffee. Give this 2-3 more years in the barrel and I'm excited about the product SA could be putting on the shelf!

WP_20170625_023.jpg

5 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Thanks.  I looked all over the bottle but couldn't find a batch number.  Was it part of the numbers laser etched onto the bottle?

Nowhere in the bottle. That proof is from the most recent batch released though. 

2 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

Nowhere in the bottle. That proof is from the most recent batch released though. 

Thanks for the info.  I thought I was either drunk or crazy when I couldn't find a batch number on the bottle.  Drunk most likely.

Having a very good pour of Belle Meade SB while I'm cooking some jambalaya for supper tonight. IMG_0716.thumb.JPG.55fb1a34a7edb3906c5957bdfff6aec9.JPG

Decided to start off the evening with a pour of Four Roses SmbLE 2016 edition with dinner. With that always being a hard act to follow, I went with some Weller 107 as I was in the mood for some wheat as a night cap.

Started with a private barrel EC (10 yrs from Deatsville........oh yes......)

Finishing with basic WT101

Early wake up call tomorrow for a work trip to Park City, UT. 4am......ooooofffffff.........

Unfortunately, I'm not in control of the schedule so I won't be able to sneak away to High West. Damn.

5954032a6b347_FullSizeRender(5).thumb.jpg.203e9b42289a842a96ee4e16ac010d62.jpg

Having a Liga Privada and EC A117 on a very comfortable Memphis night in the summer. Guess I should have "framed the pic" to show off the pool instead of the air conditioners. :) 

IMG_0790.jpg

IMG_B790.jpg

Edited by FacePlant

1st pour in the new house is RHF! Please excuse the glass but it was the only one I could find. Any port in a storm.
2699af40da67d0193c39f8ae21f155a4.jpg

And for those wondering if the bourbon made the trip ok... the answer is yes! Here it is all tucked away nicely in the closet of my office. The unload took three people 45 minutes. I almost felt bad but got over it quickly and gifted them a bottle of age stated FC103 because it was handy.

31c634930dafd2ad967b2a63823b577d.jpg

57a53d7eabe1317349f8c0ed1d707ea4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Hop said:

1st pour in the new house is RHF! Please excuse the glass but it was the only one I could find. Any port in a storm.

And for those wondering if the bourbon made the trip ok... the answer is yes! Here it is all tucked away nicely in the closet of my office. The unload took three people 45 minutes. I almost felt bad but got over it quickly and gifted them a bottle of age stated FC103 because it was handy.

Sounds like a good way to christen the new home.  Glad the bourbon made the trip safely.

4 minutes ago, Hop said:

Hey Hop, are those full nixes on the wire shelving?  If yes, IMO you should take them off from there.  I honestly don't think they'll hold.

Enjoy your new crib!

4 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Hey Hop, are those full nixes on the wire shelving?  If yes, IMO you should take them off from there.  I honestly don't think they'll hold.

Enjoy your new crib!

Yeah those boxes on the shelves would make me nervous!!

Enjoy your new crib!

Joe.

Thanks for catching that. Just took down all I could reach at the moment. Some of the movers put those up there

One of them in his late teens asked me if I actually drank all the bourbon or just collected. I assured him I drank it and was only "collecting" for my "retirement" days.

His comment was "man, you must have some thick hair on your chest" I just smiled and kept on moving more stuff :)

2 minutes ago, Hop said:

Joe.

Thanks for catching that. Just took down all I could reach at the moment. Some of the movers put those up there

One of them in his late teens asked me if I actually drank all the bourbon or just collected. I assured him I drank it and was only "collecting" for my "retirement" days.

His comment was "man, you must have some thick hair on your chest" I just smiled and kept on moving more stuff :)

Congratulations on your move!  If you find that your new house can't hold all of the bourbon just let us know.  We are here to help!  :D

Edited by mbroo5880i

Enjoying a KC rye and KC 9-year blend (2:1) while catching up on "The Unbreakable Kimmie Schmidt" on Netflix.

Congratulations on your move!  If you find that your new house can't hold all of the bourbon just let us know.  We are here to help!  [emoji3]

Such a helpful group here! As everyone in the greater Charlotte area that's on here already knows I'm always open for tastings and cigars. Anyone who's passing through on I-77 can just let me know and we'll get together.

52 minutes ago, Hop said:

Hop:  congrats on the move and thumbs up on the first pour:  good karma there!

OK I'll say it. That pour looks dark as coke...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Doing a Smooth Ambler Single Barrel showdown.  I am liking the low proof 10+ year old barrel proofers.  Smooth sipping, and no need to add water.

The 11 year old bottling is kicking @ss and really tasting good.

IMG_0146.JPG

1 hour ago, Hop said:

Priceless! 

Glad your move is over. Hope you enjoy your new place.

Cheers! Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.