What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Summer 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

34 minutes ago, Hop said:

Such a helpful group here! As everyone in the greater Charlotte area that's on here already knows I'm always open for tastings and cigars. Anyone who's passing through on I-77 can just let me know and we'll get together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're very "helpful" when it comes to whiskey...:lol:  You got friends in low places!

11 hours ago, Hop said:

His comment was "man, you must have some thick hair on your chest"

He may be on to something. Since I started drinking whiskey, I think I'm up to close to two dozen hairs on my chest (or maybe it's just old age and some of the hair on my head is relocating).

He may be on to something. Since I started drinking whiskey, I think I'm up to close to two dozen hairs on my chest (or maybe it's just old age and some of the hair on my head is relocating).

Part of the reason I only smiled is that I'm like you but doubt there are two dozen on mine :)

16 minutes ago, Hop said:

Part of the reason I only smiled is that I'm like you but doubt there are two dozen on mine :)

Well, since we're talkin' about the problems associated with hair and aging, our conditions are proof that God has a sense of humor.  He sets us up to have the hair dwindle from our head, but replaced it in our ears and on our backs...:D

And BTW, where did the hair go from below my calves????:wacko:

Been revisiting older barrel selections and open bottles. Last night was ETL Comm and a 2017 Las Calaveras.

13 hours ago, Jazz Nut said:

Doing a Smooth Ambler Single Barrel showdown.  I am liking the low proof 10+ year old barrel proofers.  Smooth sipping, and no need to add water.

The 11 year old bottling is kicking @ss and really tasting good.

IMG_0146.JPG

I have been working on a SOAS 11 year 96.4 proof that is also kicking ass

Edited by Dabbings

2 hours ago, clingman71 said:

Last night was ETL Comm

How was that Todd? It's been quite a while since I've had one open. I have one that I plan on opening soon. I'd just like to finish off a few open bottles first. :huh:

Cheers! Joe

I'm finishing a bottle of Knob Creek in this desert heat in Skopje (it's 42 C, till Saturday it will be up to 45C). 

5 minutes ago, vlado_mato said:

I'm finishing a bottle of Knob Creek in this desert heat in Skopje (it's 42 C, till Saturday it will be up to 45C). 

That made me wikipedia Macedonia to find out where that is.  I didn't realize it got that hot in that region of the world.

3 minutes ago, dcbt said:

That made me wikipedia Macedonia to find out where that is.  I didn't realize it got that hot in that region of the world.

We get 45C every summer. Imagine how well would bourbon age in such heat:). And our water is mostly limestone rich.....

3 minutes ago, vlado_mato said:

Imagine how well would bourbon age in such heat:). 

That's what Texas distilleries claim as part of their sales pitch (we hit 35-40C all summer), but it tends not to equate to taste unfortunately.

It was a Buffalo Trace kinda thirsty Thursday. Started with ER store pick, then RHF, Stagg Jr., BT and finishing off with WSR. A good night. 

7 hours ago, Charlutz said:

It was a Buffalo Trace kinda thirsty Thursday. Started with ER store pick, then RHF, Stagg Jr., BT and finishing off with WSR. A good night. 

Whoa that's a lot of enjoyment. Kudos for remembering them all.

2 hours ago, DCFan said:

Whoa that's a lot of enjoyment. Kudos for remembering them all.

Ha. Thanks? I sometimes enjoy small pours of <1 oz. just to run my palate through the paces. That WSR ended up unfinished on my nightable, wrapped in Saran Wrap this morning and saved for the weekend. It was probably a bit optimistic on my part to think I'd be able to make it through that last one. 

At BT yesterday doing a tour I sampled their White Dog (not for me), the Wheatley Vodka (suprisingly smooth) the regular BT and ER.  Last night I had a pour of EC SmB, and the ECBP.  The BP really needs water for me.  A little bit seems to open it up and develop the flavor.  Otherwise it's just too in your face for me.

Having another go at the most recent release of 1792 Sweet Wheat.  Light, sweet and a touch of wood.  Characterless.  Oh well.

Just had an OESV 10yr FRPS pick from at Poison Girl in Houston. Than a B515 ECBP@139.8proof. I hate to say it but this release is much better than the newer A117.

Cheers SBers.

ad82310c0ef83aa406c8d24e269b97dd.jpg

@HoustonNit
Nice! What's next?

Umm...., picking up the kid from daycare...

I'll be back they had a few other FRPS to try, some store selects of SAOS NASA and others that are supposed to be good, Willet older bottles, some pretty good stuff.

48 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Umm...., picking up the kid from daycare...

I'll be back they had a few other FRPS to try, some store selects of SAOS NASA and others that are supposed to be good, Willet older bottles, some pretty good stuff.

You mean you didn't insist on them breaking out one of those bottles of Cotton Hollow I see in the back?

Kidding aside, my wife and I are actually planning on heading over there next Saturday night. I'm sure I'll feel like a kid in a candy store. Their bourbon selection is so much better than Reserve 101.

You mean you didn't insist on them breaking out one of those bottles of Cotton Hollow I see in the back?

Kidding aside, my wife and I are actually planning on heading over there next Saturday night. I'm sure I'll feel like a kid in a candy store. Their bourbon selection is so much better than Reserve 101.

Try Anvil across the street as well if possible. The next version of One Fifth which is literally across the street. Also Poison had a pick from Reserve 101 of RR110SB.

3 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Just had an OESV 10yr FRPS pick from at Poison Girl in Houston. Than a B515 ECBP@139.8proof. I hate to say it but this release is much better than the newer A117.

Cheers SBers.

ad82310c0ef83aa406c8d24e269b97dd.jpg

Those SAOS bottles on top are begging for a SBS!

This is a purchased, opened and most of all....enjoying post.  I mentioned this WTKS (bottled 11/1/06) a while back and ended up passing then.  It's been hanging in my mind and I pulled the trigger today.  I was worried about the excessive sediment floating around in the bottle.  To my relief, the cork is in good shape and the juice isn't tainted.....it's excellent!

I'm not the best with tasting notes, but I did a small SBS with WTRB-03.  I easily prefer this WTKS.  No ethanol on the nose or burn in the finish.  I get the sweet then spicy profile, and there's a nice addition of mild oak that lingers in the finish.  My first pour was au naturale and then I ran the bottle through a coffee filter.  Not sure what that crap was...it's gone now. :lol:

FC583D3D-8DAC-41AF-8911-8E8C574893A9_zps

E52E46E4-6B90-4C2D-9E8F-25E812E71CAC_zps

A380AD2F-424A-453E-8A73-7B7FFD4C70D4_zps

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.