What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Summer 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

8 hours ago, BourbonDude said:

Passed up Hillrock Solera for the second time in favor of Weller 12 yr. at about the same price.

That must have been  a spendy bottle of W12.

I've been waiting for Al Young to be in the area. A well known store got it. 3 bottles. Lovely price tag of $499. I'll keep looking. 

31 minutes ago, Charlutz said:

I've been waiting for Al Young to be in the area. A well known store got it. 3 bottles. Lovely price tag of $499. I'll keep looking. 

that should be illegal.  just absurd...

41 minutes ago, Charlutz said:

Crikey! 

Never seen the Al Young but at that price I can see why.

Edited by BourbonDude

On 8/13/2017 at 3:19 PM, Mako254 said:

How do these hold up to your neck of the woods:

IMG_2685.JPG

The rye and the barrel proof are $10-15 too high, and the small batch is ~$8 too high.

This stuff is in regular production, as are Weller products and ETLs (they're even ramped up). Keep your heads. If people don't pay them, prices will come back down. Go places where you don't have to face this ethical dilemma.

On 8/8/2017 at 11:34 PM, Kepler said:

And this is why we have the current bourbon boom.  The willingness to spend $50 on a $20 product.

This. When supply comes back we're going to have a long hangover period where liquor store owners (who are usually way behind the curve) still think they can charge 200%+ MSRP.

Spending $50 on $20 product is kind of like letting your dog pee on the carpet. In the short term it's easier than the discipline - but it's not going to happen just the once, and the more you let it happen, the harder it will be to fix it later.

Edited by The Black Tot

20 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

stopped in to grab a HH6BIB today, and noticed two 12 year Evan Williams 101 proof bottles. Had not seen those before in person, then noted the price, $120 each. Really? So, its twice as old as what I bought, but 10 times the cost, at practically the same proof. I've yet to have anything that old that I enjoy, so it was an easy pass. Most of us just hit up the 12 year VSOF tonight for grilling and games, and won't b all that sad when it's gone.

Passed on an OB Rhetoric 23 without even seeing the price. I bought the 22yo last year and while I liked it, I don't think it was worth what I paid for it. I did pick up the Barterhouse tho... Last chance Diageo...

Not today because the ABC's are not open on Sunday but yesterday I passed on some ECBP A117. I really like and enjoy it but I have one open and two stashed. That and Im still waiting on B to arrive. Save some dry powder for those. Seems that we got a pretty decent allocation if this in B'ham. Havent seen em sit on the shelf behind the counter for more than a day in a couple years and they have had multiples sitting for almost a week. 

Was excited to see at least 20 bottles of ETL on the shelf this morning. Until I saw the price...$70!!

Visiting in Florida and stopped at total wine to see what they have.  Saw something called manifest small batch, barrel number one, but at 79.99, passed on it.  Asked a worker who didn't have any info other than reading the label.  Did you know it is made in new white oak barrels?  Wow,really, never heard that about a bourbon... 

anyone tried that that or heard of it?  Barrel #1 peaks my interest.  It is labeled as a 10 year old bourbon.

Edited by Tburg

Never had it before, but your post got me curious.  I did a quick Google search and came across this site , which has some info on the stuff I think you are referring to:

http://www.manifestdistilling.com/mwp

FYI, the Florida ABC (private company, not a state store) site shows the stuff for $69.99.

Thank you for that link.  That is the product, the small batch version.  Sourced from Seagrams barrels, what would that flavor be?  I am new to all this, but am enjoying the wild turkey flavor.  How would you expect this to compare to that?  Looking for that caramel, vanilla taste.

While watching the Nats in San Diego I saw numerous signs around Petco Park for Cutwater Spirits.  Had to check them out and saw they made a bourbon;

http://cutwaterspirits.com/whiskey/

And in doing a search on the web for reviews and pricing I came across this

https://www.kegnbottle.com/cutwater-devil-s-bourbon-750-ml.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google%20shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItIHXmYfn1QIVArjACh0qIwdsEAYYASABEgKqo_D_BwE

Yikes, I think I'll pass on this one.

27 minutes ago, Tburg said:

Thank you for that link.  That is the product, the small batch version.  Sourced from Seagrams barrels, what would that flavor be?  I am new to all this, but am enjoying the wild turkey flavor.  How would you expect this to compare to that?  Looking for that caramel, vanilla taste.

It's standard MGPI fare, and referencing "Seagram's" is a bit of subterfuge.  But, since Bourbonr.com is involved, this might be expected.  At least he didn't talk them into dropping a Pappy reference in there, somewhere...

Passed on GTS Jr. for $59.99.  I haven't seen it on the shelf in quite a while in the Indy area.  I know it is around but usually you have to ask.  My guess is this is the going price and it seems fair enough.  I just wasn't in the mood to buy it.  I also passed on several reasonably priced store selects at one of the local chains including RR10 SmBSB for $44.99, OF SB for $34.99, Bone Snapper Rye SB for $34.99 and WTRB for $29.99.  I ended up buying Larceny, EC NAS and HW DR at an average cost of $20 each after a 30% discount at Kroger.  My wife wanted rum and vodka so that was the better deal since I was going to buy 5 bottles anyway.  I added another bottle of cheap liquor for my son.

Wow! I don't think I could have passed on it at that price! I haven't bought any locally yet, but it is readily available at $150 in many stores. I'll probably buy one at some point, but would love to find it for a lower price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know this is from like a month+ ago, but was that at a Specs? The tags look like it and, for that price, I'd consider making a side trip the next time I'm traveling around Texas for work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

The rye and the barrel proof are $10-15 too high, and the small batch is ~$8 too high.

This stuff is in regular production, as are Weller products and ETLs (they're even ramped up). Keep your heads. If people don't pay them, prices will come back down. Go places where you don't have to face this ethical dilemma.

They are slightly overpriced. The rye and sib are typically $10 less around here and SmB is maybe $5 less or but still relatively difficult to find unless you get it in the day or two after they get a delivery. ETL just showed up but most are still trying to at least double msrp. As for Weller, other than WSR the other two might as well be Pappy around here. I can find maybe 1 OWA per year at a price approaching msrp. I've still not seen a  W12 on a shelf in YEARS. Well..I did see one lone bottle last fall for $80.

I think it will take a year or two of readily available product (which is still probably a couple years out for something like W12) for stores to realize they can't approach secondary pricing anymore. By readily available I mean you should be able to find it in at least a couple stores in town on any given day.

6 minutes ago, Clueby said:

They are slightly overpriced. The rye and sib are typically $10 less around here and SmB is maybe $5 less or but still relatively difficult to find unless you get it in the day or two after they get a delivery. ETL just showed up but most are still trying to at least double msrp. As for Weller, other than WSR the other two might as well be Pappy around here. I can find maybe 1 OWA per year at a price approaching msrp. I've still not seen a  W12 on a shelf in YEARS. Well..I did see one lone bottle last fall for $80.

I think it will take a year or two of readily available product (which is still probably a couple years out for something like W12) for stores to realize they can't approach secondary pricing anymore. By readily available I mean you should be able to find it in at least a couple stores in town on any given day.

I understand all of the above. But I'm seeing all kinds of people trip over themselves to overpay for things lately - especially things that aren't in any danger of eventual extinction, like ETL, CEHT, RHF, and yes, even the Wellers. This seems mostly to be a BT obsession problem, mostly.

I suggest people would be far better off networking with other bourbonians who live in states where these things are aplenty, rather than submit to their local store's gouging practices. Getting gouged always feels dirty.

I can't exactly feel sorry for you in MO - you're in a K+L ship state - the world is your oyster! You're also only one state over from Illinois, and a lot closer to Kentucky than I am in Texas or the UK.

But the big thing here is perspective - there are lots of other nice bourbons to drink and not get gouged on while you wait for BT's ramped up production to mature. I've got all the BT stuff but I haven't reached for them in months - I've got more than I can handle with other great bourbons that are readily available at great prices!

People are overpaying with what seems like a feeling that they're going to die if they don't taste an ETL or RHF within the next 6 months, while the same mashbill sits on shelves as Blanton's or it's red-headed stepbrother, Hancock's Presidential Reserve.  As for the wheaters, BT has set new records with how much they've got in the pipeline. Regular availability of at least WSR and OWA just isn't that far down the road. Sure W12 will be hard for a while - so get yourself a 12yr+ KCSB pick while you wait. If most people do that they'll honestly probably be underwhelmed by W12 when they finally get one.

It takes all kinds, but this site is full of very helpful people. You don't need to get gouged.

11 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Sure W12 will be hard for a while - so get yourself a 12yr+ KCSB pick while you wait. If most people do that they'll honestly probably be underwhelmed by W12 when they finally get one.

Aint this the truth!

John Bowman. One of the few bourbons I just don't know anything about. Bought a Weller 12 yr. and the Rebel Yell 10 yr. instead, which I knew I would enjoy.

On 8/20/2017 at 4:28 PM, Insanityabounds said:

Not today because the ABC's are not open on Sunday but yesterday I passed on some ECBP A117. I really like and enjoy it but I have one open and two stashed. That and Im still waiting on B to arrive. Save some dry powder for those. Seems that we got a pretty decent allocation if this in B'ham. Havent seen em sit on the shelf behind the counter for more than a day in a couple years and they have had multiples sitting for almost a week. 

Same thing here in Kansas City.  The A117 was around and on the shelves for a month this summer.  Even started finding it on the shelf in regular aisles instead of behind the counter.  B hasn't shown here either, though I understand it's in Iowa.  

Of all the stuff to sit on the shelves, I don't understand the ECBP.  I really enjoy the A117, and have a second waiting.  It's one of the better releases I've found,  and there is much "less" flying off the shelves...

I passed on a Forged Oak yesterday for $75.  I don't think the price was out of line necessarily, but hadn't heard a lot of good things said about that particular release.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.