What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Summer 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

15 minutes ago, Kane said:

I have been passing on various FRSB BP store picks in the 10/11yr range at $49. Given the high age & low price I think these have been sitting on the shelves for a few years. Should I think that some store picks are really sub par, or am I actually very lucky and don't know it?

I would be grabbing them at that price, if a store had multiple picks I would probably start with one with a recipe I was more familiar with to see if I get along palate wise with who ever makes the picks at the store.

I think you're lucky and don't know it.  If I saw a FRSB in that age range for $49 I'd snap some of it up.  The cheapest I've ever seen it around these parts is $60.

Yeah, I might grab one and try at least, not much to lose at that price. I couldn't find any reviews on these picks specifically, but I found that they were advertised on store's twitter back in '15. Might as well be shelf turds, but there's only one way to find out.

I'd be buyer also at that price and age.  It's been awhile since any FR picks were more than 10 years, let alone 11.  I'm starting to see than in the high 8 year range locally

Came across a bottle of Birthday Bourbon at the liquor store down the street.  When the cashier told me it was $400, I couldn't do anything but shake my and chuckle.  Definitely a sign of how crazy the market has become.   

On 9/6/2017 at 12:29 AM, NDN98 said:

Passed on Knob Creek 25th Anniversary at $129.99. Not enough of a KC fan to even pay 1/3 of that

I see that in 2/3 of the shops I stop at. 

On 9/13/2017 at 9:41 AM, JTaylor said:

Passed on RHF for $59... Have two in the bunker that I got for $50 so seems silly to spend $59 even though I haven't seen any in a couple years. Picked up another Stagg jr. for $54 tho...  an MGP store pick 4yo rye (Bone Snapper) for $47, and the Willett 80th bib for $36.

I'll take every RFA at $59 I can get my hands on. 

10 hours ago, Kane said:

I have been passing on various FRSB BP store picks in the 10/11yr range at $49. Given the high age & low price I think these have been sitting on the shelves for a few years. Should I think that some store picks are really sub par, or am I actually very lucky and don't know it?

Man, they are $62 here. I'd snap those up. 

Saw this yesterday in Missouri.  I really like ECBP and have plenty in the bunker, so I left it for another buyer.  It does seem like I see more & more ECBP on the shelves these days.

IMG_3690 (002).JPG

I passed on pretty much everything BT today. I think it was the most of the lineup I'd ever seen in one store. Blanton's and RHF for $63, Stagg Jr. for $50, Baby Saz for $30, CEHTSmB, ER10, WSR, etc. I was tempted to pick up an RHF but I have one open and one full.

If this was a year or so ago, at least 3 of those bottles would have come home. Is this a sign of things to come where I can just walk into the store and grab what I want when I want? No need to really bunker much if/when that happens.

They had several bottles of age stated FC103 also.

16 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I passed on pretty much everything BT today. I think it was the most of the lineup I'd ever seen in one store. Blanton's and RHF for $63, Stagg Jr. for $50, Baby Saz for $30, CEHTSmB, ER10, WSR, etc. I was tempted to pick up an RHF but I have one open and one full.

If this was a year or so ago, at least 3 of those bottles would have come home. Is this a sign of things to come where I can just walk into the store and grab what I want when I want? No need to really bunker much if/when that happens.

They had several bottles of age stated FC103 also.

I hope so. I've only come across one bottle of Stagg Jr in the last year in the STL area. I'm looking to get another. I did however see a bottle of Blantons for $89 yesterday ????. I'm guessing it'll be there for quite a while. 

Passed all around today, though I'm considering some scotches I saw on sale. 

Most notable thing skipped: PVW10 at $350.  I still remember seeing this on the same stores shelves, in quantity, somewhere around $45 a few years ago.......

4 hours ago, RiverRat said:

Passed all around today, though I'm considering some scotches I saw on sale. 

Most notable thing skipped: PVW10 at $350.  I still remember seeing this on the same stores shelves, in quantity, somewhere around $45 a few years ago.......

Hi RiverRat, where did you see the PVW10, its my dad's favorite and I have been hoping to find one for ages.

7 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

I hope so. I've only come across one bottle of Stagg Jr in the last year in the STL area. I'm looking to get another. I did however see a bottle of Blantons for $89 yesterday ????. I'm guessing it'll be there for quite a while. 

I hope so too. This would also seem to indicate much better BT product availability. 

20170919_185156-458x944.jpg

On 9/18/2017 at 5:15 PM, Kane said:

You have a point in that if it was the nectar of the gods maybe it would have sold out by now, but at 50 bucks it's likely worth a shot.

I passed on both of these yesterday. I'd first like to try the Major Pingree, but I doubt it's any better than SAOS (just more expensive).

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Passed on Rebel 10 year at $70 bucks. They also had a Henry McKenna bottle close to $70 bucks. It was not the 10 year BIB stuff. A LE of some kind I guess?  Left my phone in the truck and didn't get a pick.

Stopped in a store today that I got an email about Ardbeg Uiggedail 50ml bottles on sale for $1.99 ea. That would have made it less than half the cost of buying a 750ml bottle. Alas, they were all gone. Clerk said they were first to go and someone walked in and bought them all. But got a couple Glenlivet 15s and Founder's Reserves in 50ml size to try. 

While there I got to pass on all these wonderful priced bargains.

Other sb'rs always think us St. Louis folks are silly for being jealous about seeing the OWA purchases for msrp. That's because we are faced with this. This isn't some small corner shop. It's a fairly large store with 4 stores around the area.   I keep saying I'm not going to shop there anymore but I keep ending up there. 

20170921_180417-756x1008.jpg

20170921_180407-756x1008.jpg

20170921_180411-756x1008.jpg

19 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Stopped in a store today that I got an email about Ardbeg Uiggedail 50ml bottles on sale for $1.99 ea. That would have made it less than half the cost of buying a 750ml bottle. Alas, they were all gone. Clerk said they were first to go and someone walked in and bought them all. But got a couple Glenlivet 15s and Founder's Reserves in 50ml size to try. 

While there I got to pass on all these wonderful priced bargains.

Other sb'rs always think us St. Louis folks are silly for being jealous about seeing the OWA purchases for msrp. That's because we are faced with this. This isn't some small corner shop. It's a fairly large store with 4 stores around the area.   I keep saying I'm not going to shop there anymore but I keep ending up there. 

20170921_180417-756x1008.jpg

20170921_180407-756x1008.jpg

20170921_180411-756x1008.jpg

I thought I was doing good buying Uiggedail minis for $3.99! Having them is real handy whey I'm in the mood for peat and going to the home of someone who doesn't share a taste for it.  I just generally like minis and small bottles. My scotch shelf in particular is full of them!

Not Bourbon; but my best (only) retailer called with a couple bottles.    Kentucky Owl Rye, and Yippe Kiyay Rye ($80).    I passed on both.

$999 for the Old Rip squat bottle is pretty outrageous.  There's no way that's new old stock so they must be selling it on consignment or from someone's personal stash which doesn't seem legal.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.