Jefferson’s grand Selection Chateau Suduirant Sauternes Cask Finish

BourbonGuy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My local just sent an email that they have this new Jefferson's selection.  While I loved my Jefferson's Presidential 17 and 18, I have been disappointed with the others I have tried. 

Now maybe I have to appreciate it for what it is and stop dreaming I had more Jefferson's 18.  Anyone try this?  They want $129.

Thanks!

That sounds really high, even for Jefferson's

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Do you know anything about the bourbon they finished in a wine barrel?

I call it an easy pass.

Jefferson's has been out of ideas and good bourbon for a while now. They're left with throwing every wine finish idea against the wall in the hope that one will be good.

9 hours ago, flahute said:

Jefferson's has been out of ideas and good bourbon for a while now. They're left with throwing every wine finish idea against the wall in the hope that one will be good.

You mean I can pour two buck Chuck in a bottle of Willett Pot swill and charge $89.99 for it?  :o

2 minutes ago, Paddy said:

You mean I can pour two buck Chuck in a bottle of Willett Pot swill and charge $89.99 for it?  :o

I am sure the Jefferson's is overpriced but I don't think Chateau Suduirant Sauternes really qualifies as two buck Chuck.  It cost about $90 a bottle which is more than most bourbons cost per fifth.

7 minutes ago, Thig said:

I am sure the Jefferson's is overpriced but I don't think Chateau Suduirant Sauternes really qualifies as two buck Chuck.  It cost about $90 a bottle which is more than most bourbons cost per fifth.

I didn't compare Chateau Suduirant Sauternes to two buck Chuck.   

My point (tongue in cheek;)) is that I would market my product as wine finished, without stating exactly what was used for the finishing.  Kinda' like non-disclosing NDP's selling mystery juice of undetermined providence w/out age statements (Oh, did I say Willett again)!   

I guess wanting another Jefferson's Presidential 18 won't make it so :(

2 hours ago, BourbonGuy said:

I guess wanting another Jefferson's Presidential 18 won't make it so :(

Unfortunately no.  However, fortunately, there are some really great whiskies available tonight.  Stellar like S-W, maybe not so.  It depends on your preferences.  I do agree with the comments above that Jefferson has become more about marketing than good whiskey.

12 hours ago, Paddy said:

My point (tongue in cheek;)) is that I would market my product as wine finished, without stating exactly what was used for the finishing.  Kinda' like non-disclosing NDP's selling mystery juice of undetermined providence w/out age statements (Oh, did I say Willett again)!   

Ha.

At least it all tastes the same (peanuts and boredom), so you can just pick your price point and get the same flavors from every bottle....just at different proofs.

I know, I know.  I'm being mean.  Sorry.

Do enjoy their ryes at least. :)

Edited by 0895

• 1 month later...

I just bought a bottle and tried it. Yeah, as many have suspected here, not terrible but nothing to brag about, especially for the price. If you can go in with a couple of friends and cut the price, I'd say try it and see what you think. Otherwise there are better tasting experiences out there for a fraction of the price,

To elaborate a little, this Jeffersons reminds me a bit of the Blood Oath #3 Cab finish that I tried recently. In my humble opinion, wine cask finishes for bourbon are just not the best choice, although I think the Sauternes finish here is slightly better than the Cab finish for the Blood Oath, just because the Sauternes being a desert wine, imparts a somewhat sweeter taste to my palate.

I could say more, but to put it bluntly, given the price, the overall experience is quite underwhelming. At this price point I expect something that'll knock my socks off, or at least curl my toes a bit. But you won't get that here.

I've seen this on the shelf at two different local stores.  One has been there for 6 weeks now.  

37 minutes ago, gurgalunas said:

I've seen this on the shelf at two different local stores.  One has been there for 6 weeks now.  

Not too surprised. At this price (I paid $129 plus tax in the Baltimore area), your buyers are likely to be cynical, bored, dyspeptic old bourbon enthusiasts like me who are hoping against hope that $100 will some day buy them a ticket to bourbon nirvana. :-) 

I enjoy Jefferson's Ocean, but the price for this bottle is outrageous. Actually, I think all Jefferson's bourbon is overpriced.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

The Ocean was a better value for sure.

I guess the bottom line is, for me, all the Jeffersons I've tasted are a little bit too light and soft. For better or for worse, I just prefer heavier, more fully flavored spirits, whether it's bourbon, rye, or single malt scotch.

On 7/27/2017 at 9:14 PM, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

I enjoy Jefferson's Ocean, but the price for this bottle is outrageous. Actually, I think all Jefferson's bourbon is overpriced.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Ahhh, you're only saying that ..... because it's true.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.