What Bottle Did You Open Today? (Summer 2017)

OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, jshleffar said:

Opened a foursquare 2004 and an Eagle rare store pick that's closer to an ER12 than ER10.

What are your initial impressions?  Also trying to figure out if you think your "ER12" observations are a good thing or not?

On a short vacation so opened up a bottle I packed for the trip:  HH6BIB. 

Excellent, it's hitting a sweet spot.

2 hours ago, Louisiana said:

IMG_4686.thumb.JPG.283d8364684811fe3dda76d2ac4fde8a.JPG

What are your thoughts? I picked up a bottle a couple months back but haven't tried it yet

57 minutes ago, Kepler said:

What are your initial impressions?  Also trying to figure out if you think your "ER12" observations are a good thing or not?

The foursquare is phenomenal and the rum forum is well worth perusing as I'm a complete amateur with rums. the Eagle rare is an 11 year 7 month PS and it has less of the grape note I tend to find and, unsurprisingly, is oakier, which I love. If you could make a prune and raisin (that grape grew old) tart that you baked in some sort of wood and leather dish sprinkled with some pepper laced honey. It may sound odd but it's delicious.

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

What are your thoughts? I picked up a bottle a couple months back but haven't tried it yet

Smooth Ambler did a very good job with their small batch program. I'm not much on NDP, but they are one of the exceptions. My only regret is not buying more at $35 per bottle.

• I like it 1

I opened a 17 FR LE SmB. I think it is not as sweet as the 16, but more rich and complex. Good whiskey

Cracked a Barterhouse today, have not had it since I was at Bulliet's Stitzel-Weller Whatevertheycallit, it's an enjoyable pour once you get past the dopey marketing.

• I like it 2

I opened my Lot B 12 yr from 2016. I though it was really tasty, but in a few weeks I’m hosting a blind tasting between it, a Weller 12, and likely some other wheaters, so I think that will be revealing as to how good it really is.

Edited by BigSkyDrams

Opened a store pick of Elijah Craig.  This one aged 12 yrs. 

I'll probably open a 2nd store pick of EC aged 8 yrs to compare.

On 12/6/2017 at 11:12 PM, Bourbon Fanatic said:

I have liked the 10 year saos that I have come across. Wish I could find more. 

Last time I bought this (2015) I didn't care for it much.  Tried a new bottle (reluctantly) and surprisingly found it to be much better.

So I finally bit the bullet and bought another one.  Pulled it out of the bunker this week and decided tonight was the night.

Tasty stuff.

IMAG2883.jpg

• I like it 2

23 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Last time I bought this (2015) I didn't care for it much.  Tried a new bottle (reluctantly) and surprisingly found it to be much better.

So I finally bit the bullet and bought another one.  Pulled it out of the bunker this week and decided tonight was the night.

Tasty stuff.

It's good to know that I'm not the only one that feels that way. ^_^

Biba! Joe

25 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Tasty stuff.

IMAG2883.jpg

WSR started my bourbon obsession so I’m sentimental about it. I paid almost $40 for a bottle last week.

Bought this one recently and decided to open it and try it.  Very interesting flavor profile, but it is very drinkable for a bourbon I paid $19.99 for.

73ED2732-5FBE-4733-9C24-711A6CF45003.jpeg

1 hour ago, NDN98 said:

Bought this one recently and decided to open it and try it.  Very interesting flavor profile, but it is very drinkable for a bourbon I paid $19.99 for.

73ED2732-5FBE-4733-9C24-711A6CF45003.jpeg

19.99 is a great price on that. Cheapest i’ve Found it is 29.99

On 12/14/2017 at 10:39 PM, Wedelstaedt said:

Opened this one tonight. My first go at this variety of 1792

Cheers

IMG_2034.JPG

Thoughts?

Holy cow, this tastes just like old stitzel-weller!  The solera aging method.....oh, never mind.... J/K.

So, I'm a firm believer in "new bottle syndrome", but first impressions of this bottle are that it tastes a lot like some random KBD bottling.  In other words, a mixture of different stuff that doesn't really get along with each other.

At least the cat likes playing with the key... :wub:

IMAG2899.jpg

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 2

Holy cow, this tastes just like old stitzel-weller!  The solera aging method.....oh, never mind.... J/K.

So, I'm a firm believer in "new bottle syndrome", but first impressions of this bottle are that it tastes a lot like some random KBD bottling.  In other words, a mixture of different stuff that doesn't really get along with each other.

At least the cat likes playing with the key... :wub:
IMAG2899.thumb.jpg.ffdfa8ca70ea3d23eb8623b378ba7b4b.jpg

A friend of mine bought a bottle of this recently and offered me a pour. I didn't think it was that bad, but nothing fantastic either. If it was priced at around $30, I'd consider buying a bottle for further research, but it's overpriced in the $45 to $50 range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.