What Bottle Did You Open Today? (Summer 2017)

OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

7d0b3380b6d69cc857978c3f8be56a07.jpg
Haven’t cracked one of these in a while!! Looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I like it 2

29 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Show off! :P  I actually believe those are just like the shot glasses my grandparents had in the '60s.  The only difference is my grandfather probably enjoyed a pour of Cutty Sark instead of bourbon.  

I think its called Libby Gold Foliage and were originally given out at grocery stores..maybe with some kind of coupon program like Eagle Stamps. I have rocks glasses, coupes, pilsners, even a matching ice bucket. I had a shot glass but accidentally ground it up in the garbage disposal. 

It's my favorite casual bourbon glass.

Finally decided to open this bottle up and see if it was as good as a pick from a different store that I really liked. This one is aged longer and a little higher proof...which hopefully will mean good things. 

E229B415-04EA-4844-A17B-35E2590B78CF.jpeg

2F74596F-0E81-4A8C-A57C-02660642E326.jpeg

• I like it 1

21 minutes ago, Radioyada said:

Finally decided to open this bottle up and see if it was as good as a pick from a different store that I really liked. This one is aged longer and a little higher proof...which hopefully will mean good things. 

E229B415-04EA-4844-A17B-35E2590B78CF.jpeg

2F74596F-0E81-4A8C-A57C-02660642E326.jpeg

What did you think of it?

I like it. It drinks below it’s proof, and has a great creamy feel with each sip. There is a little more rye spice than the other store pick, which means this one takes second place to the first one and most likely not be purchased again. 

Edited by Radioyada

30 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Nothing today, but wait till Saturday.  :P

Joe

What's going on Saturday, Joe?

21 hours ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

What's going on Saturday, Joe?

If things work out, I'll be picking up a bottle or two of a ps Weller SR:) If I'm able to get any, I plan on opening one, and a ps OWA that I have. My plans are to taste those two alongside a ps BT, and a ps ER10 that I already have open. A four way BT ps taste off!  :D As of yet, my wonderful wife doesn't have any plans for us this weekend. Hopefully that will remain the case. :mellow:

Cheers! Joe

• I like it 5

1 minute ago, fishnbowljoe said:

If things work out, I'll be picking up a bottle or two of a ps Weller SR:) If I'm able to get any, I plan on opening one, and a ps OWA that I have. My plans are to taste those two alongside a ps BT, and a ps ER10 that I already have open. A four way BT ps taste off!  :D As of yet, my wonderful wife doesn't have any plans for us this weekend. Hopefully that will remain the case. :mellow:

Cheers! Joe

Yes!! This all sounds so amazing! Keep us posted as to how it turns out.

Cheers! Jordan

2 minutes ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

Yes!! This all sounds so amazing! Keep us posted as to how it turns out.

Cheers! Jordan

Believe me I'll let y'all now. I already have a pretty fair idea of how things will probably turn out. Still, I'll wait till I try 'em all before I post my thoughts.

Joe

Believe me I'll let y'all now. I already have a pretty fair idea of how things will probably turn out. Still, I'll wait till I try 'em all before I post my thoughts.

Joe

Let me guess, Joe...Weller prevails! [emoji12][emoji56]

Cheers!
Jeff

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, lcpfratn said:

Let me guess, Joe...Weller prevails! emoji12.pngemoji56.png

Cheers!
Jeff

Well, the ps ER10 was hand selected by Harlan Wheatley. It's pretty freakin' good, so Im pretty sure it'll be #1. The two stores that have the other ps's both have a pretty good reputation for picking good barrels. It just might be a toss up for second place. ;) I know I won't be disappointed however things turn out.

Joe

Wait.  How does one get Harlan involved in hand selecting a private selection barrel?

Why, that's practically cheating!  

As a scientist, I really do enjoy his style.  Love to hear him talk about bourbon.   

Open an ORVW10 while visiting my sister. I had kept a small stash there for when I visit and to share.

Good pour and good mouth feel and flavor since the new version came out.

Cheers,

Hugh

056f3e4360893d0442472b56ec8773d9.jpg

• I like it 4

Opened a bottle of Hancock's tonight that i purchased 4 years ago. Not really impressive. Actually has a bit of swamp water taint to it. 

Patrick,

I read some of the older bottlings had that off vegetal flavor. 

I had a recent bottling of this and it was lovely.  BT sweetness exploding with fresh pear notes.  I'd be interested in a SBS with a new bottling. 

1 hour ago, Patrick_OKC said:

Opened a bottle of Hancock's tonight that i purchased 4 years ago. Not really impressive. Actually has a bit of swamp water taint to it. 

Never got that from a Hancock's but I've only had a few, ETL on the other hand....

47 minutes ago, Guss West said:

Patrick,

I read some of the older bottlings had that off vegetal flavor. 

I had a recent bottling of this and it was lovely.  BT sweetness exploding with fresh pear notes.  I'd be interested in a SBS with a new bottling. 

31 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Never got that from a Hancock's but I've only had a few, ETL on the other hand....

Well I will say that it has been a long time since I have had the misfortune of opening that rare bad bottle.  In those instances the bourbon was truly not drinkable. In this instance I was expecting BT, but got an unusual taste that was not bad enough to be outright offensive,  but did remind me of swamp water. Oh well, will see if my palate reacts  differently tomorrow night. 

2 hours ago, tigerlam92 said:

Open an ORVW10 while visiting my sister. I had kept a small stash there for when I visit and to share.

Good pour and good mouth feel and flavor since the new version came out.

Cheers,

Hugh

056f3e4360893d0442472b56ec8773d9.jpg

Can't get enough of that stuff. Enjoy!

This bottle of Kentucky Vintage bourbon was given to me as a gift. I am opening it today so it can be in play for a blind tasting that I am going to do with a friend.
9e387eaad807ded07dfba8d9cefab58f.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

First time cracking one of these.

WIN_20171123_233727.JPG

What's your impressions on this one ? Horribly overpriced here, like all the EH Taylor line. Bought one last year at €110 (i know, it's way too much), i've really enjoyed it. Enjoy! 

Cheers! 

Will.

12 minutes ago, Whiskey Junkie said:

I have a few of these in the bunker along with the single barrel and barrel proof versions.  I have finished a bottle of each of the 3 and found the small batch to be one of the most delicious whiskies I have had.  Obviously batches, barrels and palates (spelling?) change and differ but I was most impressed and here fot about $43.

$43 for Small batch or for the Rye, above is the Rye which runs about $70, if you got it for $43 that is a steal.

21 minutes ago, Whiskey Junkie said:

I have a few of these in the bunker along with the single barrel and barrel proof versions.  I have finished a bottle of each of the 3 and found the small batch to be one of the most delicious whiskies I have had.  Obviously batches, barrels and palates (spelling?) change and differ but I was most impressed and here fot about $43.

^^^^Couldn't agree more with you. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.