What Bottle Did You Open Today? (Summer 2017)

OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 10/6/2017 at 8:00 AM, BigPapa said:

What was the price?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, it was a premium over an already high price.  I am thinking $159.99.  It is good bourbon, but not markedly better than the top store selections of KCSB.  For example Ace Spirits just got in a 14+ year old KCSB that is very good (already sold out sadly), and 1/3 the price.  They will be getting in an 11 year, and 13 year barrel soon as well.

• I like it 1

I've been busy lately. ;) I sent a few to the recycle bin the last two weeks, so there was some room on my open shelf. I had my Weller's, Weller Blends and a RHF, open. I decided to open some private selections I had to keep them company. I'm thinking these will keep me busy for a while. ^_^ 

Cheers! Joe

open.jpeg

• I like it 1

On 9/10/2017 at 3:24 PM, Mako254 said:

I like mash bill 2 stuff, how does this rate w/ blanton and elmer?

When I drink HPR, I get a pear note. HPR is the only bourbon I get that with, and I love it. That jives with NDN98's "Fruity and vanilla" observations.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, The Black Tot said:

When I drink HPR, I get a pear note. HPR is the only bourbon I get that with, and I love it. That jives with NDN98's "Fruity and vanilla" observations.

Maybe it's the power of suggestion Paul, but I just opened an AAA 10yr and get a slight hint of pear with it as well, mainly on the nose. For me it's a solid, easy drinking bourbon. I enjoy this #2 BT mashbill and am glad I've still got a few stashed away. 

1 minute ago, Vosgar said:

Maybe it's the power of suggestion Paul, but I just opened an AAA 10yr and get a slight hint of pear with it as well, mainly on the nose. For me it's a solid, easy drinking bourbon. I enjoy this #2 BT mashbill and am glad I've still got a few stashed away. 

Yes, Gary. I should have mentioned that it was the only currently available bourbon I get that with, since I also get that in AA10yr!

Maybe that's where the AA10yr went when the brand went the way of the dodo...

• I like it 1

Dragged home and opened my first (and likely only) bottle of 2017 4-Roses SmBLE.    Very nice pour, if not spectacularly deep.    Decent complexity.    Decent, if slightly surprisingly honey-sweet finish.   I like it.

After some W12 tonight I opened a new PS ER10. I was underwhelmed. I'll have to go back to it with a fresh palate. I think the woodiness and leathery finish of the W12 made the ER seem pale in comparison. This particular selection of ER doesnt have a lot of that earthiness and depth that I like in ER. This PS is very vanilla-forward with an overall lighter palate (but with more alcohol nose and taste) than regular ER.

On 10/14/2017 at 12:43 PM, Masset1982 said:

0160169C-6157-4295-9D7D-DA6A1170645F.thumb.jpeg.6458e29b829d465e0664714315f11e7f.jpegCheers! 

Will.

How do you like it? There are a couple bottles hanging out around town, not sure about $140 though. 

On 10/19/2017 at 4:50 PM, 0895 said:

Opened a 375ml rare breed today.

Lots of cinnamon in this one.

IMAG2457.jpg

IMAG2457.jpg

Newly converted Rare Breed fan myself. Where did you snag that bottle?

25 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

How do you like it? There are a couple bottles hanging out around town, not sure about $140 though. 

Honestly, it's not worth it, you are gonna pay at least $70 of packaging which is a nice box, nice bottle and big ass cork. Don't get me wrong, the whiskey is good (B-B+ in my book) but they are asking too much for it. I like it though, but it felt short, the mouth feel (i'd appreciate more thickness to it) and the finish are not what i'm expecting for an old Wild Turkey whiskey. 

Hope i helped. 

Best, 

Will

• I like it 1

On 19/10/2017 at 10:50 PM, 0895 said:

Opened a 375ml rare breed today.

Lots of cinnamon in this one.

IMAG2457.jpg

IMAG2457.jpg

Lucky you, the cork is fine, great batch for sure. Enjoy!

Will

• I like it 1

I opened my bottle of Maker's Mark Private Select today, hopefully to power UK to a 2nd half comeback.a0c7e618b14699424f896f7828c8f4bd.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Opening the one and only Weller in my possession.

IMG_20171022_001342.thumb.jpg.2e92c0e5ab101323596f0ba9b03ff99f.jpg

A bottle from last year or earlier. So, what do you think? It's decent for the regular retail price of around $25, and maybe worth a bit more for a good private selection, but it's not really worth spending a whole lot of energy looking for when there are a lot of fine BIB bourbons readily available in that price range. Of course I know it's kind of easy for me to say that when we seem to get a bit more than our fair share of it around here.

Decided to buy this because of all of the hype I've read about it on this forum. While I definitely enjoyed it, I don't think it lives up to the expectations I got from reading others tasting notes.

After about only 10 mins in the glass it became overwhelmed by floral notes and the ethanol smell on the nose, which I'm not a fan of either.

This was after I added water - next time I may not add water and see how it goes.

I'm hoping some air time in the bottle will smooth the edges of this one a bit.

Cheers!

IMG_1289.JPG

1 hour ago, lcpfratn said:

A bottle from last year or earlier. So, what do you think? It's decent for the regular retail price of around $25, and maybe worth a bit more for a good private selection, but it's not really worth spending a whole lot of energy looking for when there are a lot of fine BIB bourbons readily available in that price range. Of course I know it's kind of easy for me to say that when we seem to get a bit more than our fair share of it around here.

I completely agree, and probably think even more poorly of it than most. I've had this many times over the years and not once thought it was special. And that's why this bottle sat in the bunker unopened since who knows when. Even as a simple daily drinker it is nowhere near the top of my list. I won't be replacing this bottle.

That said, I do like W12 a lot more than that, and used to have one bottle always when it sold for $20-something.

On 10/21/2017 at 7:56 AM, Mako254 said:

Newly converted Rare Breed fan myself. Where did you snag that bottle?

Little private wine shop that a fellow SB'er told me about.

Wasn't really looking for WTRB, but it was on sale for $20 for the 375ml, so I figured what the heck.

I must confess to not being a huge WTRB fan, but I've started to graduate into appreciating Turkey products more and more this year (especially Russels and 101 rye).

This is different enough that I enjoy it periodically, but it wouldn't be a bunker up bottle for me.

On 10/21/2017 at 8:21 AM, Masset1982 said:

Lucky you, the cork is fine, great batch for sure. Enjoy!

Will

Thanks,

Good stuff.

Are there issues with the corks?

I don't remember hearing about it.

On 10/21/2017 at 12:53 AM, Wedelstaedt said:

HMcK10. Distilled in 2007. 

Curious about this one. 

IMG_1846.JPG

I really like this bourbon, especially for the price.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.