Best Value Everyday Bourbon

cdcdguy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

10 hours ago, cdcdguy said:

Thanks! We will be down there Saturday. Have been to Vine and Table too. Anyone who likes scotch would love his selection. Whatever happened to Spring Mill bourbon out of Indiana? It was out and great a couple years ago then gone!

Big Red used to carry it but I haven't seen it there for awhile.

Cd -

I did happen to see Spring Mill Bourbon today.  It was a Sam's Club on 86th Street in Indy.  They had several bottles.  It was $23.33.  If you like it and have a Sam's Club card, you might stop by there while in Indy.  ;)

You might try Market District first.  They may have it.

Edited by mbroo5880i

12 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Cd -

I did happen to see Spring Mill Bourbon today.  It was a Sam's Club on 86th Street in Indy.  They had several bottles.  It was $23.33.  If you like it and have a Sam's Club card, you might stop by there while in Indy.  ;)

You might try Market District first.  They may have it.

Hope this helps some.

Two things;

One: You might not have to have a membership card to get into Sam's. The ones here in Illinois don't require one for alcohol purchases.

Two: Spring Mill bourbon is made by Heartland Distillers. The Heartland distillery is only a few blocks from that Sam's Club on 86th Street.:P

Cheers! Joe

Thanks everyone ! We were at Market District in Carmel,Indiana and found Spring Mill! We had it in Fort Wayne a couple of years ago, but it was only around a few months. Will open soon. Hope it is as good as before. Price still well under 30.00.

I can't quite hit your value mark, but my best value everyday bourbon is ER. The last 5 bottles I bought were all PS and were 24.99.

Wow...some great values listed.  On Long Island, not that lucky.   Under $20 were looking at Benchmark which is OK for party's where guess mix it with Ginger ale.  For the picks that are to my taste you have to go in the $20 to $30 range.  Here I can get Elijah Craig at $25.  These are all <$30 and excellent bourbons to my taste: Wild Turkey 101, Buffalo Trace, Markers Mark Cask (375 ml) and Evans William single barrel.

Around here only WT101, Bulleit, and Larceny are at or under $20. $25-30 opens up a lot more options, Four Roses Small Batch, Eagle Rare, Henry McKenna 10,  Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek, Elijah Craig. 

• 1 month later...

Under $15: Evan Williams black (Currently just $10.99 at my local big box!). Second: Evan Williams 1783 for just under $15. Both are smooth, sweet and 86 proof. Both beat the daylights out of Jim Beam White and are dynamically equal to JB Black or "Extra Aged" in my book.

Under $20: Old Forester 86 (My preferred budget pour), Jim Beam bonded  and Jim Beam "Extra Aged". Note that I'd only pony up the extra money for Old Forester 86, as the Beam entrants are only tolerable to me.

On 6/28/2017 at 11:12 AM, JCwhammie said:

My two under $20 are Wild Turkey 101 and EVan Williams Bottled in Bond. For $20-$25 I can get Four Roses Small Batch, Larceny, and Rittenhouse Rye. 

I would concur.

On a trip earlier this year to Terlingua TX I ended up in a bar where the selection was a little thin, but they had an Evan Williams Black Label. Tried it because I hadn't before

I really enjoyed it!

Ever since then I've been looking at the handles for 22 bucks and thinking "if it gets that bad, I'm covered".

But in practice, I'm at a bunker stage that I already have too much "value bourbon", which I bought during a phase where I jumped when I saw everyday decent stuff go on a good sale. Now I have too much of it, and my policy is "if it's not amazing, it doesn't matter if it's free"

I have a policy of "drink your worst until only the good stuff is left", so anything I buy that's not awesome ends up coming between me and my better bottles - which are already far enough away as I drink through all the stuff I bought during my experimentation phase. It's a powerful motivator against whiskey nervosa. "If I buy this, I'm pushing back the enjoyment of my faves..."

I'll likely try out a bottled in bond EW when I'm next in a bar that stocks it, though.

2 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

On a trip earlier this year to Terlingua TX I ended up in a bar where the selection was a little thin, but they had an Evan Williams Black Label. Tried it because I hadn't before

I really enjoyed it!

Ever since then I've been looking at the handles for 22 bucks and thinking "if it gets that bad, I'm covered".

But in practice, I'm at a bunker stage that I already have too much "value bourbon", which I bought during a phase where I jumped when I saw everyday decent stuff go on a good sale. Now I have too much of it, and my policy is "if it's not amazing, it doesn't matter if it's free"

I have a policy of "drink your worst until only the good stuff is left", so anything I buy that's not awesome ends up coming between me and my better bottles - which are already far enough away as I drink through all the stuff I bought during my experimentation phase. It's a powerful motivator against whiskey nervosa. "If I buy this, I'm pushing back the enjoyment of my faves..."

I'll likely try out a bottled in bond EW when I'm next in a bar that stocks it, though.

How can you be sure you'll be around to drink the good stuff?

Just now, Sour Mash Esq. said:

How can you be sure you'll be around to drink the good stuff?

Can't be sure I'll be around to hit send on this post!

But if you don't force yourself upon the worst ones, they pile up and occupy an ever-increasing shelf presence, which then gets in the way of buying the great ones.

The strategy is working. The herd is getting stronger and faster. My worst ones now are only "boring" and soon they'll be "decent."

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Can't be sure I'll be around to hit send on this post!

But if you don't force yourself upon the worst ones, they pile up and occupy an ever-increasing shelf presence, which then gets in the way of buying the great ones.

The strategy is working. The herd is getting stronger and faster. My worst ones now are only "boring" and soon they'll be "decent."

I've been using this same practice for about a year now, but new ones I want to try keep slowing me down. I suppose I will persevere 

Ha! I have also been using this approach. One benefit is that when you finally weaken and actually open one of the stellar ones, you are amazed at your good fortune. There is also affirmation when you open one of the less stellar ones, and it is actually pretty dang good.

Pat

12 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

. . . I have a policy of "drink your worst until only the good stuff is left", so anything I buy that's not awesome ends up coming between me and my better bottles - which are already far enough away as I drink through all the stuff I bought during my experimentation phase. It's a powerful motivator against whiskey nervosa. "If I buy this, I'm pushing back the enjoyment of my faves..."

Hhhhhhmmmmm.  Must be something in our bourbon. I, too, have been following this policy since about page two of the "Thoughts on the boom" thread.  I kept looking at the clunkers and shelf hogs in there - as well as the several mixed cases of overbought spares I picked up in panics.  For example, at my age I really don't need a dozen 750s of OGD 114 as long I can get it and OGD BIB without hunting.

IOW, as long as there are offerings in that "best value everyday bourbon" category, I can be picky about what gets bunkered.

4 hours ago, Bourbonmakesmepoop said:

I've been using this same practice for about a year now, but new ones I want to try keep slowing me down. I suppose I will persevere 

Never forget the power of bourbon friends to test a variety of bottles as a group (then you only have to buy one dog each, etc), airplane bottles, and the strategy of exploring value pours at whiskey bars.

3 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Hhhhhhmmmmm.  Must be something in our bourbon. I, too, have been following this policy since about page two of the "Thoughts on the boom" thread.  I kept looking at the clunkers and shelf hogs in there - as well as the several mixed cases of overbought spares I picked up in panics.  For example, at my age I really don't need a dozen 750s of OGD 114 as long I can get it and OGD BIB without hunting.

IOW, as long as there are offerings in that "best value everyday bourbon" category, I can be picky about what gets bunkered.

Old Crow.

Your welcome. :)

6 hours ago, flahute said:

Old Crow.

Your welcome. :)

Oh, man.  I haven't had breakfast yet.  Just lost my appetite.  And there's STILL about two inches in the 750. 

Under twenty around me I can get WSR, 4 Roses yellow label, Wellers Antique, Evan Williams Bonded, OGD Bonded,WT 101 are the standouts I can think of immediately. Under 30 Buffalo Trace, Larceny, Jim Beam bonded, Knob Creek, 4 Rose small batch are among many under 30 here.

On 6/28/2017 at 0:47 PM, cdcdguy said:

Have not seen Four Rose  small batch here, but the others I have seen. 

Which reveals one of the two difficulties with the question: Price varies quite dramatically from place to place (no sub-$20 WT101 where I live) and some great stuff like HH6Y0BIB has very limited distribution.  If you travel, you can check out what is available at what price in other states. But is hard for SBers to agree on "best" in just about any category.  My Big Three used to be VOB6Y0BIB, OWA, and AAA10YO. Two went away altogether and have not seen the OWA in a couple years. So, the closest thing to a "daily pour" in this house is good old WT101. Supplemented extensively by what's available when we travel.

Since value is subjective, I will say my favorite price vs. enjoyment bourbon is CEHT Small Batch at $39.99.  There are a couple of less costly ones I am willing to drink, but not keep around except for certain uses...such as mixing or bringing to a gathering where they will not be appreciated for much more than their ability to impair judgments.

That is my two copper bits.

10 hours ago, drunkenjayhawk said:

Under twenty around me I can get WSR, 4 Roses yellow label, Wellers Antique, Evan Williams Bonded, OGD Bonded,WT 101 are the standouts I can think of immediately. Under 30 Buffalo Trace, Larceny, Jim Beam bonded, Knob Creek, 4 Rose small batch are among many under 30 here.

That is a great list.  I love bonded bourbons.  Definitely need to find CEHT small batch bib.

On 8/30/2017 at 10:32 AM, drunkenjayhawk said:

You can get OWA regularly for under $20?!?!  I can barely find it all. If I do it's usually in the $30-40 range and it's a regular thing to see stores around here price it at $69.99 up to $99.99!! I'm a buyer up to $30  I will go up to $40 for a ps sb occasionally. 

My new favorite everyday under $20 Is Old Ezra 7 Year 101. That stuff is awesome for $17.99.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.