Jack Daniels Green Label

cdcdguy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It used to be on the shelves a few years ago everywhere, but from what I understand is now only sold in Tn.,Texas ,NJ and Pa. . New York was recently dropped. I love this stuff. Regular black leans a bit sweet for me but the green is fantastic. Creamy and light but lots of flavor. Who else loves this stuff??

• I like it 1

It was being bottled and sold at the distillery as of last year. Don't know if it is still available there. I think distribution is limited at best these days. But I also haven't been looking.

• I like it 1

I tried JD green label about 35 years ago.  It was the same stuff, but less time in the barrel.  Is that still the case?  And at that time, I think the green label was 80 proof, and the black label was 86 proof? 

• I like it 1

11 minutes ago, musekatcher said:

I tried JD green label about 35 years ago.  It was the same stuff, but less time in the barrel.  Is that still the case?  And at that time, I think the green label was 80 proof, and the black label was 86 proof? 

I believe the proof of the distillery bottles I saw was 80. No idea about the age. For all I know it was the regular stuff with a green label slapped on it for no specific reason other than some kind of nostalgia. JD tends to do that!

• I like it 1

I brought some back from PA for a friend and we opened a bottle recently. It didn't seem much different from regular JD to me but I don't drink JD that often. I suppose if both are available to you and Green Label is cheaper it might be worthwhile. 

• I like it 1

I brought some back from PA for a friend and we opened a bottle recently. It didn't seem much different from regular JD to me but I don't drink JD that often. I suppose if both are available to you and Green Label is cheaper it might be worthwhile. 

This is my thought and probably why unless in certain markets you can't find green label.

When did they lower proof on standard no. 7 black label?

On June 30, 2017 at 7:40 PM, HoustonNit said:

This is my thought and probably why unless in certain markets you can't find green label.

When did they lower proof on standard no. 7 black label?

Black label has been 80 proof for awhile now. Green was always 80 proof. Where green is available, it's only a couple bucks less than Black. I think the green, it's fours years old and sits on the floor of the rick house. It's just not as sweet as black label. That is why I prefer it, and am probably in the minority. It's well made, and doesn't taste like you are drinking cheap junk. 

I remember in the early 2000s this was readily available, however it seemed to disappear a few years later. I always assumed this was due to regular black label dropping to 80 proof around that time and thus talking away the main distinction between the two labels.

Actually just checked green label is available at the TW down the street from me. I guess I stopped noticing it on the shelf about the same time I got a real job and could justify paying a couple bucks more for something that is marketed as higher quality.

On July 1, 2017 at 11:33 PM, HoustonNit said:

Actually just checked green label is available at the TW down the street from me. I guess I stopped noticing it on the shelf about the same time I got a real job and could justify paying a couple bucks more for something that is marketed as higher quality.

Yes, Texas is one of the four states that has it. I went to college in Houston many years ago, so no real job then. Now I can afford a lot more, but there is just something about the simple creaminess that I love about the Green Label.

what are a few of your favorite higher quality whiskies?

Yes, Texas is one of the four states that has it. I went to college in Houston many years ago, so no real job then. Now I can afford a lot more, but there is just something about the simple creaminess that I love about the Green Label.
what are a few of your favorite higher quality whiskies?

I may need to try this a try, the 80proof is a turn off though. I don't know if I have a top 5 but I've been enjoying lately is ECBP, WA107, KCSB picks, BT and ER10 SB picks.

10 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

I may need to try this a try, the 80proof is a turn off though. I don't know if I have a top 5 but I've been enjoying lately is ECBP, WA107, KCSB picks, BT and ER10 SB picks.

I just got a bottle of WA 107, but haven't opened it yet. Versions from the last few years have been good. Your other suggestions are excellent. As far as Jack Green, I don't consider it low quality. It is younger than Jack Black, but still tastes like it is made well. The 80 proof . I hear you. I can only imagine if it was 90 proof. But sometimes, a good quality basic red table wine is great. Nothing special, but a good everyday sipper. This is where I put JD Green.  Don't feel you have to love it though.

• 3 weeks later...

Many moons ago I got a couple of bottles of the Green Label and I remember it being pretty good.  Back then it was much cheaper than Black Label, and I was a poor, just starting college (read: underage)student, which is why I got it.  I do remember it was 80 proof versus 86 for the Black.  It has only been in the last couple of years that I've noticed that it hasn't been on the shelves in stores around here.  Too bad really, as it always had a good flavor to me.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a bottle today, and am really enjoying it out on the front porch.  It's youth is evident, but not that skanky craft young thing going on.  Nose has a hit of typical Daniel's banana but I don't get much of that house style over the early palate.  What I DO get is a hint of vitamins...As in, Dickel vitamin...  Very odd.  Who put the Dickel's in Daniel's?  A nice and simple creamed corn takes over mid palate, before finishing easy and with a bit of charriness coming through.  Throughout though, this doesn't seem as charry as black label. Overall, an enjoyable whiskey that I expected nothing significant from, except being a well executed Daniel's product.  This it delivered.  

33 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I bought a bottle today, and am really enjoying it out on the front porch.  It's youth is evident, but not that skanky craft young thing going on.  Nose has a hit of typical Daniel's banana but I don't get much of that house style over the early palate.  What I DO get is a hint of vitamins...As in, Dickel vitamin...  Very odd.  Who put the Dickel's in Daniel's?  A nice and simple creamed corn takes over mid palate, before finishing easy and with a bit of charriness coming through.  Throughout though, this doesn't seem as charry as black label. Overall, an enjoyable whiskey that I expected nothing significant from, except being a well executed Daniel's product.  This it delivered.  

Dammit, Joe.  Now, I have to find some.  I haven't had any since JDB was 86 proof and was my exclusive whisky (to show you how long ago that was), and I bought a bottle of Green just to try.  One sip, and I gave it to my brother who'd drink anything.  After my recent, positive (REALLY positive) reaction to the JD BPs I've had and even bunkered, I may have grown up enough to appreciate it.

I grew up drinking good Moonshine here in rural West Tennessee. I started at 15 or 16. One of my first bad experiences was with a quart  of that Green label. A friend and Basketball teammate had it ready for the after party from the finals of our regional tournament. Long story short, I knocked out about half of that bottle in less than 5 or 6 minutes, then proceeded to go about my normal, wild, nightly carousings! I got hungry somewhere after midnight and we went to the "Greasy Spoon" the RR restaurant at the "shop/rip track", area. My small town was the only repair shop on the L&N between Memphis and Nashville. AND my Father was a Carman at the yard and typically ate his lunch there as well as my Brother in law. As soon as I tried to take a bite of hamburger, my buddy saw my face and jumped up from his side of the booth as I proceeded to BLOW liquor and chunks ALL over the table, the food, etc. The lady that ran it started screaming  "GET HIM OUT" GIT HIM OUT OF HERE!!! Good friends that they are, they drove my vehicle home, rang the doorbell and left me on the garage steps, BWAHAHAHAHAHA! BIL heard about it at breakfast a few hours later, LOL! 

That was almost 40 years ago, might have been 40, close enough, BUT, I still haven't touched ONE drop of their rotgut since!!!!!! I turned to WT101, if I couldn't get moonshine, until Booker started putting out Knob Creek. I still keep some good white corn whiskey, though.

YOU are more than welcome to my share, hehe. I haven't paid attention to the JD selections, except for the Sinatra bottle. I just got that for the novelty, they are not rare. I have NO intention of drinking it either!!!!! When we get rebuilt, I will start offering up some old stuff to friends and visitors. If someone wants it BAD enough and they offer stupid money, it's a goner!!

I WILL drink Dickel IF there's no Bourbon available, I mean Kentucky Tavern over the JD type, YEP! Think about this, even after they produce and finish the whisky, they have to run it through charcoal to get SOME of  the bad tastes out!!!! LMAO!!! Truth! My Grandfather MADE whiskey, he was the only one in this area that could make a copper "Worm" without kinking the copper tubing. That was a costly mistake during the Depression. He never told anyone, but as he was in his 70's, when he and I would janitor part of the school after school, he told me how he did it, and I used it to also work on some fancy glass bending in Chemistry. My HS Science teacher allowed me and a few classmates to build a STILL!!!! The late 70's brought about the adding of alcohol t gasoline, so he got a small grant and bought a long piece of 12 inch wide glass tubing!!! I made a columnar still and ran almost a quart through before he made me poison it with Methyl (Wood) alcohol and acetone, GRRRRR! He taught my oldest daughter and told her that still is in a storage closet at my old school to this day!!!!!

I actually was traveling through Bourbon Country back around 2008, stopped in at Wild Turkey and Mr Jimmy happened to be at the old little house across from the fancy doings now. That is where the gift shop WAS. I had some good white whiskey with me ad offered him a sample. He just smelled of it and asked me how may loops for a proper still, LOL. I explained to him the various reasons to use 5 loops, etc. He was really open and nice about the whole thing, but obviously was NOT going to sip it. NOW, the ladies that worked in the gift shop, DIFERENT story, hehe. They both took a decent sip and were surprised at how god it tasted, especially when I told them the proof!!!!

^^^That's a great story!  I grew up in E TN, and to this day, still have two good moonshine sources!  It's too bad that times have changed so much, that your experiment (which I would call a proper 'hands on' education) would no longer be possible.  Thanks for sharing! 

• 1 month later...
On 8/18/2017 at 7:58 AM, Numismaniac said:

I grew up drinking good Moonshine here in rural West Tennessee. I started at 15 or 16. One of my first bad experiences was with a quart  of that Green label. A friend and Basketball teammate had it ready for the after party from the finals of our regional tournament. Long story short, I knocked out about half of that bottle in less than 5 or 6 minutes, then proceeded to go about my normal, wild, nightly carousings! I got hungry somewhere after midnight and we went to the "Greasy Spoon" the RR restaurant at the "shop/rip track", area. My small town was the only repair shop on the L&N between Memphis and Nashville. AND my Father was a Carman at the yard and typically ate his lunch there as well as my Brother in law. As soon as I tried to take a bite of hamburger, my buddy saw my face and jumped up from his side of the booth as I proceeded to BLOW liquor and chunks ALL over the table, the food, etc. The lady that ran it started screaming  "GET HIM OUT" GIT HIM OUT OF HERE!!! Good friends that they are, they drove my vehicle home, rang the doorbell and left me on the garage steps, BWAHAHAHAHAHA! BIL heard about it at breakfast a few hours later, LOL! 

That was almost 40 years ago, might have been 40, close enough, BUT, I still haven't touched ONE drop of their rotgut since!!!!!! I turned to WT101, if I couldn't get moonshine, until Booker started putting out Knob Creek. I still keep some good white corn whiskey, though.

YOU are more than welcome to my share, hehe. I haven't paid attention to the JD selections, except for the Sinatra bottle. I just got that for the novelty, they are not rare. I have NO intention of drinking it either!!!!! When we get rebuilt, I will start offering up some old stuff to friends and visitors. If someone wants it BAD enough and they offer stupid money, it's a goner!!

I WILL drink Dickel IF there's no Bourbon available, I mean Kentucky Tavern over the JD type, YEP! Think about this, even after they produce and finish the whisky, they have to run it through charcoal to get SOME of  the bad tastes out!!!! LMAO!!! Truth! My Grandfather MADE whiskey, he was the only one in this area that could make a copper "Worm" without kinking the copper tubing. That was a costly mistake during the Depression. He never told anyone, but as he was in his 70's, when he and I would janitor part of the school after school, he told me how he did it, and I used it to also work on some fancy glass bending in Chemistry. My HS Science teacher allowed me and a few classmates to build a STILL!!!! The late 70's brought about the adding of alcohol t gasoline, so he got a small grant and bought a long piece of 12 inch wide glass tubing!!! I made a columnar still and ran almost a quart through before he made me poison it with Methyl (Wood) alcohol and acetone, GRRRRR! He taught my oldest daughter and told her that still is in a storage closet at my old school to this day!!!!!

I actually was traveling through Bourbon Country back around 2008, stopped in at Wild Turkey and Mr Jimmy happened to be at the old little house across from the fancy doings now. That is where the gift shop WAS. I had some good white whiskey with me ad offered him a sample. He just smelled of it and asked me how may loops for a proper still, LOL. I explained to him the various reasons to use 5 loops, etc. He was really open and nice about the whole thing, but obviously was NOT going to sip it. NOW, the ladies that worked in the gift shop, DIFERENT story, hehe. They both took a decent sip and were surprised at how god it tasted, especially when I told them the proof!!!!

That is a DAMN awesome story.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.