TABC v Specs

dcbt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I would more say the TABC sucks at making a legal case; they need better lawyers. 

I wonder how much corruption was involved, and why they choose to target Specs vs one of their competitors. I'm assuming they didn't target other chains to the same degree

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 3:55 PM, b1gcountry said:

I wonder how much corruption was involved, and why they choose to target Specs vs one of their competitors. I'm assuming they didn't target other chains to the same degree

Sounds like a fair amount of corruption was involved. Only it was TABC that was corrupt. Perhaps Spec's has the resources left to try to recover costs from TABC for what seems like blatant misuse of their authority. Sounds like TABC is already under significant scrutiny as it is. But squeezing blood out of the government turnip tends to be a challenge at best!

On 7/1/2017 at 2:55 PM, b1gcountry said:

Knowing what I know about state controlled liquor licensing, store leasing, and the connections with political power and ascension, I'm thinking someone was targeting a financial/political opponent or an opponents donor/ally.  That's the only way an agency would spend that much time and money - don't be fooled by the obvious bait and switch of a frivolous "days late payment of $778" offense. 

On 7/3/2017 at 6:38 AM, musekatcher said:

Knowing what I know about state controlled liquor licensing, store leasing, and the connections with political power and ascension, I'm thinking someone was targeting a financial/political opponent or an opponents donor/ally.  That's the only way an agency would spend that much time and money - don't be fooled by the obvious bait and switch of a frivolous "days late payment of $778" offense. 

I know in Indiana the alcohol lobby is huge.  Some of the major chains throw big $ toward any and all legislators who will accept it.  This is why Indiana's liquor laws are are similar to what they were in the 1960's.  No Sunday sales, groceries cannot sell cold beer, and selling burritos is not enough to be considered a restaurant.  If you follow the money, you will follow the laws and how they are enforced.

On 7/1/2017 at 9:10 AM, wadewood said:

I would more say the TABC sucks at making a legal case; they need better lawyers. 

They just fired their head lawyer.

A couple thoughts with Specs and the TABC from someone who works for another chain in Tx.

First, Specs has a reputation in the state for playing fast and loose with the Byzantine rules. My guess is that TABC had a hunch about something specific, sunk big resources into looking for it, and then got caught out for having an outsized response for small violations.

Second, Specs is one of the biggest supporters of the mess of a system that is alcohol laws in Texas. They are almost certainly the biggest retailer booster of those laws. While I hate govt doing stupid things and wasting my money, I do appreciate someone getting bitten in the butt by their own support for an anti-consumer set of market rules. I can't say I feel sorry for them. If you feed the beast, you run the risk of it biting you too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure about the rest of Illinois :ph34r:, but around here, the powers that be seem to have more of an interest in places that sell alcohol and tobacco to minors. A few bars and such have had their liquor license's temporarily revoked, or suspended altogether. One big name place here hasn't been able to sell tobacco products to its regular "members" for the last couple of months. From what I can surmise, they get tips from concerned consumers (interpret that as you will), then set up a sting operation. In the overall grand scheme of things, it's seemingly small potatoes, but who knows what can, will or might happen in the future. Good ole' Illinois, where our former governors make our license plates. :lol:

Joe

I think I watched to many gangster flicks or heard too many stories from back home but what's the chances someone greased some palms over at TABC to distract Spec's and stop there expansion for a period of time. Which just happened to coincide with there biggest threat to there market expanding into Texas?

This does not pass the smell test at all.  I also don't think we have heard the last of this story.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.