Bottled In Bond VS Single Barrel

cdcdguy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

My  experience has been more like this:

'Buy once, cry for a good long time; every time I look at the darned overpriced turd on my shelf, and think about what far-better pours could be taking up that shelf space'. 

Further note: I have eventually learned not to jump on these types of hyped offerings, though it took a toll on my wallet to gain that knowledge.

But if you spend all your time drinking bourbon that tastes good but doesn't come in fancy wooden boxes, how will all your friends know how wealthy you are?  Social status, appearances must be kept up, etc.

3 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

That's ridiculous.  It doesn't even come in a decorative wooden box.  I don't see how it can be any good.  Get yourself that Orphan Barrel 6 pack instead.  Buy once, cry once I always say.  

Worse yet, it's got a crappy little plastic cap. Real cork or GTFO!

11 hours ago, flahute said:

Can you get that in CA or do you bring it back from Sampler weekend?

Unfortunately t's not available here, Steve. It's pretty much the only  bourbon I've come back from KY with for the last few years.

We stray pretty far off topic now, though. Apologies to the original poster.

On 7/5/2017 at 6:44 PM, jbutler said:

The search facility is your friend.

Thanks for the link, I appreciate you taking the time to help

On July 6, 2017 at 10:21 AM, jbutler said:

Unfortunately t's not available here, Steve. It's pretty much the only  bourbon I've come back from KY with for the last few years.

We stray pretty far off topic now, though. Apologies to the original poster.

It's ok, I am happy I could spark a good discussion! I have to get to Kentucky and buy HHBIB to see what all the hype is about. Just good stuff at a low price?

4 hours ago, cdcdguy said:

It's ok, I am happy I could spark a good discussion! I have to get to Kentucky and buy HHBIB to see what all the hype is about. Just good stuff at a low price?

Whadya mean "just" good stuff at a low price????    Hell, that's the Holy Freakin' Grail, ain't it?  

I mean anybody can get crummy stuff at a low price... or good stuff for $35 and up.    Finding the best of both of those worlds is a cause celebre!

On 7/7/2017 at 7:37 AM, cdcdguy said:

Be careful using the word "hype". Your last sentence describes it perfectly - good stuff at a low price. A very low price in fact. It's one of the best value propositions out there.

That's why we get so excited about it. Then smokinjoe puts it in his fridge in the garage, waxes poetic about it, and hell breaks loose.

There are many better bourbons out there but they all cost about 4x the price or more. Get thee to Kentuckee and pick some up.

14 hours ago, flahute said:

Be careful using the word "hype". Your last sentence describes it perfectly - good stuff at a low price. A very low price in fact. It's one of the best value propositions out there.

That's why we get so excited about it. Then smokinjoe puts it in his fridge in the garage, waxes poetic about it, and hell breaks loose.

There are many better bourbons out there but they all cost about 4x the price or more. Get thee to Kentuckee and pick some up.

We are only four hours from Louisville. How much is HHBIB and never having tried it, how much should I buy the first time? We only get down there maybe once a year. Avaiable here Beam BIB I think is pretty good but it's 25 dollars .  I must say I am getting excited over the whole BIB sector!

24 minutes ago, cdcdguy said:

We are only four hours from Louisville. How much is HHBIB and never having tried it, how much should I buy the first time? We only get down there maybe once a year. Avaiable here Beam BIB I think is pretty good but it's 25 dollars .  I must say I am getting excited over the whole BIB sector!

Someone local can correct me, but I think it goes for about $12 a bottle.

If you spend the night when you go down there, buy one bottle, try it a couple times at the hotel - preferably with a clean palate before dinner for example - and if you like it, go back the next day and buy as many as you think you'll drink for the year.

On 7/3/2017 at 6:04 PM, kaiserhog said:

I liked EWBIB better than EWSB.  Strange how that works.

Agreed. Never saw the reason for the hype with EWSB. 86 proof just isn't enough. Now bottle EWSB at 100 proof..that would be amazing

On July 9, 2017 at 10:57 AM, cdcdguy said:

On July 9, 2017 at 11:24 AM, flahute said:

Someone local can correct me, but I think it goes for about $12 a bottle.

If you spend the night when you go down there, buy one bottle, try it a couple times at the hotel - preferably with a clean palate before dinner for example - and if you like it, go back the next day and buy as many as you think you'll drink for the year.

Depending on what store(s) you visit, the price for the HH 6 BIB will vary some, but $12.00 is a pretty good median price.

Cheers! Joe

On 7/13/2017 at 10:19 AM, weller_tex said:

Agreed. Never saw the reason for the hype with EWSB. 86 proof just isn't enough. Now bottle EWSB at 100 proof..that would be amazing

No doubt. 

Kentucky gets screwed on LE's but just about every true bourbon geek is jealous that they can pick up HH6yr BIB and OFBIB for a steal. Not that long ago I could pick up HH8yr and gold label HHBIB for $10-$12 in Minnesota. My how times have changed.

10 hours ago, Bbstout said:

Kentucky gets screwed on LE's but just about every true bourbon geek is jealous that they can pick up HH6yr BIB and OFBIB for a steal. Not that long ago I could pick up HH8yr and gold label HHBIB for $10-$12 in Minnesota. My how times have changed.

How is OFBIB? We can't get that here either. Should it be on my Kentucky shopping list too? 

18 minutes ago, cdcdguy said:

How is OFBIB? We can't get that here either. Should it be on my Kentucky shopping list too? 

I would say if you have had Old Fitz 80 proof or Larceny and like them you should probably grab a bottle or two or more. For the price why not pick up one. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.