BOTM 7/17: Heaven Hill 6 year old Bottled In Bond

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

^^^Joe, I kept a bottle of Dickel in the freezer for years.  It was always a good summertime slushy!;) 

• I like it 1

4 minutes ago, Paddy said:

^^^Joe, I kept a bottle of Dickel in the freezer for years.  It was always a good summertime slushy!;) 

Thanks for the support Pat. ;)

Cheers! Joe

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Gosh darn it you guys! My wonderful wife puts up with, and sometimes even helps with my bourbon "hobby". The given space allotted for my bourbon is in "my" room. I'm not quite sure what would happen if I started putting bourbon in our fridge. <_< 

Since y'all mentioned this, I have something to relate, and a question to ask. A good friend of ours likes vodka martinis. He keeps his vodka in the freezer. Has anyone tried this with bourbon?

Cheers! Joe

LOL Joe!

I placed my bottle of HH6yr BIB in the refrigerator yesterday morning at about 11am. It was roundabout 3pm when I heard a voice from the kitchen...."Why is there a bottle of bourbon in the refrigerator?".

I respond "A bunch of guys on straightbourbon.com say that this particular one tastes great cold".

She responds "OK".

My wife is awesome.

• I like it 2

6 hours ago, flahute said:

My wife is awesome.

The realization (slow in arriving for some of us) that we married THE BEST GAL on the planet is a true moment of zen peace and serenity.

I know it's unlikely I'd have survived my own bad habits, and poor home-ec skills for any length of time at all, without the lovely lady who agreed to my proposal (proposition?) those many years ago. 

That she consistently overloox all (well. . . most) of my worst failings and stays with me, after the kids have been raised and on their own for so long, is a source of wonder and mystery for me. 

...And, I thank the Good Lord for her forbearance.    (Hell, she even loox the other way when I overspend for unicorn Bourbons!)

• I like it 1

Well like lcpfratn I was not able to bring back a bottle of this from KY on my recent trip (my bag was full of other goodies). I did have a few pours while at bars, however, and thought it was great...it nails the classic bourbon profile and leaves nothing to be desired. At $10/bottle, it is definitely one of the best values in bourbon.

Also, Joe, I've been known to throw a bottle of bourbon in the freezer during a heat wave. For non-chill filtered bourbon, some interesting stuff sometimes settles out over time!

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Kpiz said:

Well like lcpfratn I was not able to bring back a bottle of this from KY on my recent trip (my bag was full of other goodies). I did have a few pours while at bars, however, and thought it was great...it nails the classic bourbon profile and leaves nothing to be desired. At $10/bottle, it is definitely one of the best values in bourbon.

Also, Joe, I've been known to throw a bottle of bourbon in the freezer during a heat wave. For non-chill filtered bourbon, some interesting stuff sometimes settles out over time!

Heat wave in SF? What is that, like 78 or so? B)

Yesterday it was about 92 here but I am pretty sure the humidity was closer to 100!

• I like it 1

This has become my favorite < $15 (hell, make that < $20 now) bottle.  Years ago I would have leaned more towards AAA 10* (yep - I said *, not "yr"), or even EB7yr101.  But in the last couple of years, I haven't replaced either of those when they ran out (in spite of them both being available here in Georgia!), but I have always replaced the HH6yrBIB (and each trip to the motherland I consider stockpiling . . . and each trip it is becoming harder to resist that!)  I'm with Joe (well, now - I shamelessly stole the tip from him!) and keep one in the fridge always.  I do enjoy it neat chilled, as well as at room temp, but also use my fridge bottle for my hot toddys.  When not feeling well, some garlic tea with honey and an ounce of this baby (with a squeeze of lime juice) really hits the spot.  Usually if someone who isn't into bourbon asks me what to try, I point them to EW Black since it is so accessible.  But, if that same someone who isn't into bourbon asks me what to buy on a trip to KY - HH6yrBIB is at the top of my list.  

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Heat wave in SF? What is that, like 78 or so? B)

Yesterday it was about 92 here but I am pretty sure the humidity was closer to 100!

Yep, pretty much! But my apartment seems to amplify the outside temperature, so if it's 78 outside then it feels about 85 inside. With no AC, cold bourbon is the only way to stay cool :D

Smoknjoe you might need a few more pours once the Stros bullpen shuts down the Braves and they start hitting like yesterday.

I kid.

Ouch I posted this when the game was 4-4 actually thought it was The Braves night. I like a lot of kids from my generation have a soft spot for the braves from the TBS national telecast days.
  • I like it 1

18 hours ago, Kpiz said:

Yep, pretty much! But my apartment seems to amplify the outside temperature, so if it's 78 outside then it feels about 85 inside. With no AC, cold bourbon is the only way to stay cool :D

I don't think I can live without A/C anymore. Certainly not in Hotlanta! The hotel I stayed at in London was very conveniently located but very small and no A/C. I am just glad I did not arrive the week before when they had a heat wave. Even the mid 70's outside seemed hot to me!

Fortunately the Paris hotel did have A/C 'cause riding the metro, especially packed in asshole to elbow like sardines, was a lot like being in Atlanta no matter what the outside temperature.

• I like it 1

For some reason this bourbon is one of the few that I never know how it's going to taste to me. Sometimes it's absolutely wonderful, other times it comes across as being young and a little harsh. I've tried narrowing it down by what I've had to eat or drink prior to see if I can figure out what causes that, but so far, nothing. Oh well, that's why it's nice to have many bottles to chose from

• I like it 1

This is just such a great value in the bourbon world!  My biggest fear is that it loses its age statement like VOB. Because of my fear I always keep pick up some when I get to Kentucky and I never open my last bottle until I get back to Kentucky. 

• I like it 1

Here it goes y'all. ;) My wife went to visit her mother after work today. I took advantage of this opportunity to place a bottle of HH6 BIB in the fridge. I'll report back later if I'm able to.  :huh:

Cheers! Joe

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Here it goes y'all. ;) My wife went to visit her mother after work today. I took advantage of this opportunity to place a bottle of HH6 BIB in the fridge. I'll report back later if I'm able to.  :huh:

Cheers! Joe

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts, Joe! Joe? ... Joe? :lol:

I'm a HUGE fan of this one! It was one of the bottles I tried early on in my journey and have always had a bottle around since then. It's such an amazing bargain when compared with just  about everything else on the shelf around it, which is usually the bottom shelf. A friend and I would always remark, "Why would you buy (bottle X) when HH6BIB is right there?" As someone else mentioned earlier, it's also something I bring home from KY as a gift for any friends into or interested in bourbon. A couple of years ago, I was purchasing several bottles in a Bardstown shop for myself and as gifts and the store owner remarked that he had been cleared of his stock by me and a few other guys who stopped in that week. I wonder who the others could have been? ;)

• I like it 1

On 7/5/2017 at 8:16 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Since y'all mentioned this, I have something to relate, and a question to ask. A good friend of ours likes vodka martinis. He keeps his vodka in the freezer. Has anyone tried this with bourbon?

Cheers! Joe

A couple of decades ago, one of the master distillers (I think it was Jimmy Russell, but it was a long time ago) was quoted as always preferring his bourbon from the freezer.

Tim

• I like it 1

On 7/7/2017 at 4:14 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Cheers! Joe

:lol::lol::lol:...........:unsure:

How did it work out Joe?

• I like it 1

News Flash! :o 

Last night, I helped my wife put away the leftovers from supper and make my lunch for work today. As we were putting things away, she calmly asked, " Did you know there's a bottle of HH in the fridge?" To which I replied, "Yeah. There's been some folks talking about that on the site lately. Most folks agree that it tastes really good right from the fridge on a hot summer day." All she said was, "Oh. Okay."  :wub: Yes, there is a bourbon god. :) So I had a nice healthy pour of it when I got home from work today. :P

Cheers! joe

• I like it 1

Some of the local stores carry "Heaven Hill Old Green 6 Year" at 90 proof.  Is this the same thing as HH6yr BiB, just at a lower proof?  If so, I'll definitely grab a bottle to try.

• I like it 1

News Flash! [emoji33] 

Last night, I helped my wife put away the leftovers from supper and make my lunch for work today. As we were putting things away, she calmly asked, " Did you know there's a bottle of HH in the fridge?" To which I replied, "Yeah. There's been some folks talking about that on the site lately. Most folks agree that it tastes really good right from the fridge on a hot summer day." All she said was, "Oh. Okay."  :wub: Yes, there is a bourbon god. [emoji4] So I had a nice healthy pour of it when I got home from work today. [emoji14]

Cheers! joe

Haha. I've got 3 little kids, and the list of stuff we've discovered in the fridge is quite long. A lot of it we just at in there absent mindedly too...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

• I like it 1

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 11:29 AM, ratcheer said:

A couple of decades ago, one of the master distillers (I think it was Jimmy Russell, but it was a long time ago) was quoted as always preferring his bourbon from the freezer.

Tim

It was Elmer T Lee, and after reading that,  Ive kept a bottle in the basement beer fridge often.

• I like it 1

On 7/10/2017 at 9:35 PM, Journeyman said:

Some of the local stores carry "Heaven Hill Old Green 6 Year" at 90 proof.  Is this the same thing as HH6yr BiB, just at a lower proof?  If so, I'll definitely grab a bottle to try.

It's the same mash bill and everything from the same distillery.  It's worth picking up.  

I'm a fan of JTS Brown and JW Dant too.

HH 6 year BIB is no longer distributed in my state.  I went driving around when I got that news.  Who knows next time I'll visit KY.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, PaulO said:

It's the same mash bill and everything from the same distillery.  It's worth picking up.  

HH 6 year BIB is no longer distributed in my state.  I went driving around when I got that news.  Who knows next time I'll visit KY.

I just emptied my HH6BIB refrigerator bottle. I have more, but don't want to go through them too fast SO I just put my bottle of JTS Brown in the refrigerator to see how that goes. I'll report tomorrow. 

• I like it 1

On 7/4/2017 at 1:41 PM, HoustonNit said:

How about JW Dant BIB? I actually saw a noticeable difference between JW Dant and EW BIB and personally preferred EW. Would love to try HH BIB 6yr guess I need to find an excuse to get to KY. Interesting that EW BIB sells for more than HH BIB.

I do wish HH BIB was available in Texas..I actually prefer JW Dant to EW BIB, but both are 4 years old (likely) right? I imagine HH BIB at 6 would definitely round off the rougher notes.

I had originally intended to just go back to Scotch when I had to go on a waiting list for Weller 12. Going on a waiting list for Weller 12 in Texas (Weller heaven) was just ludicrous. I found though that I missed bourbon and have been going back to the basics so to speak when I buy it.

• I like it 1

I do wish HH BIB was available in Texas..I actually prefer JW Dant to EW BIB, but both are 4 years old (likely) right? I imagine HH BIB at 6 would definitely round off the rougher notes.

I had originally intended to just go back to Scotch when I had to go on a waiting list for Weller 12. Going on a waiting list for Weller 12 in Texas (Weller heaven) was just ludicrous. I found though that I missed bourbon and have been going back to the basics so to speak when I buy it.

You had to go on a waiting list for W12 don't they know your name is Weller Tex they should keep a bottle behind the counter for you at all times.
  • I like it 1

22 hours ago, PaulO said:

Thanks for the info.  I shall do that!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.