Show Us Your Stash -- Volume 3.0 (The Subliminal Verses)

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

John Hansell (of Malt Advocate) just posted this on his blog in a posting titled "How many whiskies I have. And why.":

For those of you who are only interested in the numbers and don’t care about the “why†part, here they are:

Single malt scotch: 834

Straight whiskey (bourbon, rye, wheat): 286

Irish whiskey: 99

Blended scotch, blended malts, grain whisky: 46

Canadian whisky: 33

Japanese whisky: 15

Miscellaneous artisan (e.g. micro) distillery whisky: 13

If my math is correct, that’s 1,326 bottles. 466 of these bottles are open.

Way to go, John! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

You forgot something

For the whiskies I don’t need–or no longer need–professionally, I use them at the whisky tastings I host. (Like the one I have in Philly the first week of March.) I also donate bottles to many charity events. And, I promise you that all of my local friends never go thirsty for whisky. index.php5?q=aHR0cDovL2Jsb2cubWFsdGFkdm9jYXRlLmNvbS93cC1pbmNsdWRlcy9pbWFnZXMvc21pbGllcy9pY29uX3NtaWxlLmdpZg%3D%3D

Most of the bottles were thrown in his lap so i do not see a big accomplishment here. What he does with them deserves him more credit.

Thanks guys, I'll do a run down of what they all are (40 total) in the next day or two, but can say - and it may be a surprise to many - the most treasured are the ORVW Old Time Ryes on the far right! I have 5 of what I believe was the first run and then 1 when the neck label was changed to the black. I have been pretty consistent since first tasting it in believing that it is the best whiskey I've ever tasted.

The second bottle our whiskey club got for sharing was ORVW Old Time Rye (gold top, No. 77). (I gotta say, nothing helped our club recruitment effort more than sharing little tastes from this bottle.) But the last 30 ml or so sat in the bottle in my office for well over a year (or 2?). I used to pop it open once in a while to cop a nose, or let someone else do so for the memory. Then I mostly just forgot about it. I was New Year's cleaning today and decided to pitch all the empties in my office. I brought them home to pitch (discretion is never a bad idea), and saw that there was enough in that bottle for a descent pour. Poured it (still so nice even after all that airring-time, and found this thread while I was sipping. I thought the other sweet poisons I keep under my sink might be a good setting so ...

here y'all go, a pic of the last pour from ORVWOTR bottle No. 77.

Here's to all of its fans.

:toast:

post-2877-14489816318797_thumb.jpg

The second bottle our whiskey club got for sharing was ORVW Old Time Rye (gold top, No. 77). (I gotta say, nothing helped our club recruitment effort more than sharing little tastes from this bottle.) But the last 30 ml or so sat in the bottle in my office for well over a year (or 2?). I used to pop it open once in a while to cop a nose, or let someone else do so for the memory. Then I mostly just forgot about it. I was New Year's cleaning today and decided to pitch all the empties in my office. I brought them home to pitch (discretion is never a bad idea), and saw that there was enough in that bottle for a descent pour. Poured it (still so nice even after all that airring-time, and found this thread while I was sipping. I thought the other sweet poisons I keep under my sink might be a good setting so ...

here y'all go, a pic of the last pour from ORVWOTR bottle No. 77.

Here's to all of its fans.

:toast:

Rx was available until 8 years ago.I have bought another one, unopened, 2 weeks ago. Blanton's do have several varieties that are only available in europe but guys, my list of bottles wanted (and not available overhere) is a bit longer than your list of wanted Blanton's. I'm working on it. Where there is a will there is a way.

Some are also available to our friends in the great white north.

Well, it's a midget collection compared to others shown here...........

Wow! Is that Old Quaker for real? How is it?

You forgot something

Most of the bottles were thrown in his lap so i do not see a big accomplishment here. What he does with them deserves him more credit.

Actually, most were not thrown into my lap. I paid for the majority of them--many years ago when they cost a lot less. But still, I don't see it as an accomplishment. Like you said, it's not what you have, but rather what you do with it that matters most.

I paid for the majority of them

Weird, i assumed that a reviewer receives those bottles for free. A review is free advertising. So the distillery or bottler benefits from what you write, right? Or not, if you think the whiskey is crap. I know DJ's get most of their records for free.

I have had about 3 bottles of that brand over time. I did like it quit a lot. We are actually having one at our next tasting event in our local bourbon club. It will be interesting to see if I still like it and how it will stand up against a bunch of other ryes. Nice to heart that you have a whiskey club. Is that a common thing in Japan?

Leif

Our club is really just made up of the folks I work with who like whisk(e)y. It started out like a foreign buyer's club (no Japanese have yet joined- too many shochu drinkers). It's really informal. We just put the orders together to save on shipping and add an extra $8 or so each to buy a bottle for sharing. I guess we're up to 12 regular members now.

Now here's a line-up that was meant to be.

Where do I sign up for the vertical tasting on the VW line? :D Great picture!

As soon as I have a good place to display it, I certainly will.

The local sports arena or a football stadium might fit it all in... :skep:

But I got word today that I may have an appropriate bunker after all.

My wife and made an offer on a house and it was finally accepted after 4 weeks.

Congrats Tommy. A good bunker needs a good home.

Congrats now maybe you can put them on display or behind a bar. If your wife will let you have a man cave.

congrats Tommy! Good luck getting the new place in order.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I got the new "bunker" up, so I figured it's time to post a picture. It's about 18" deep, easily holds 5 BTACs deep, so the bottom two chambers are pretty dang full... but it leaves a nice area for the visible area to hold paraphernalia and the "currently drinking" bottles.

post-4846-14489816377169_thumb.jpg

If I left mine out in the open like that with my brother and father around, one of two things would happen. It would magically disappear, or they would die.

• jbutler locked this topic
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!