Early Times Bottled in Bond "special edition"

tanstaafl2
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

What's up with that? As many know Early Times has long been a "Kentucky whisky" (no "E") and not a bourbon due to the use of a percentage of used barrels. Not long ago they tried to resurrect an Early Times bourbon called Early Times 354 but it died a quiet death 2-3 years ago. Now they are doing a 'limited release" BIB at about $23/liter that will mostly be limited to the Midwest (and apparently Oregon of all places) at least for the moment.

Just an attempt to cash in on the "limited edition" craze? I have often wondered (for no particular reason) if B-F has bottled distillate specifically from only 1 of the 2 column stills they have. But this may just be different barrels to support a specific profile that might set it apart from other B0F whisky like OF Signature for example. They have already proven they can do that easily enough with the Whiskey Row series.

And somehow I did not realize that, like MM (and Scotch), B-F favors the spelling of whisky without the E. Hmm.

I'm looking forward to trying this, hopefully this is distributed somewhere that ships to NJ.

Assumed this was basically OF Sig which I don't care much for. It looks like however a slightly different mashbill. I'd consider picking one up if it was available in Texas.

Not a real big risk of capital, therefor I'll try it, assuming I see it on a shelf.    I generally like BF's stuff, although not as much after they run it through the pot still at L&G (Woodford).

I always liked the ET 354. Granted it's not something I drink neat but it gives me flavors that I really don't get with any other bourbon(yeah, popcorn which isn't really something to brag about) but the price was right and I found it mixed with coke better than JB White. I am excited to see ETBIB and hope it shows up in my neck of the Midwest woods. 

I wasn't a huge fan of ET 354, but, I will definitely be on the lookout for this one.  I love that it is a 1-liter bottle, may give JW Dant a run for its money as my go to. 

Saw the press release for this a couple weeks ago. I'm very meh on it. Looks interesting but it's odd to make an LE out of a cheap BIB. On the other hand, it's an affordable LE so I applaud that. At first I was not interested due to the fact that if I really like it, it won't be around long. Given it's low price, I'll surely cave and buy one. 

I liked the ET 354 bourbon.  It was 80 proof and I believe 36 months old.  It was a sweetish uncomplicated bourbon with no rough edges.  I think the problem was it was priced a bit high for what it was.  

I'd be interested in a bonded version.

7 hours ago, PaulO said:

I liked the ET 354 bourbon.  It was 80 proof and I believe 36 months old.  It was a sweetish uncomplicated bourbon with no rough edges.  I think the problem was it was priced a bit high for what it was.  

I'd be interested in a bonded version.

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it, Paul! Given our shared interest in Bonded OF, I'd have high hopes for it. They would, however, be tempered by my recent experience with OF 1897, which may have been (negatively) influenced by the price. The price on this one makes it more of an acceptable risk. That's all speculation, anyway, as it's not going to be available here. Again, looking forward to your review!

I would give it a shot. Haven't had Early Times since the 80's! I think it is a good sign of a higher proof and good price.

• 8 months later...

Its good stuff. Im traveling to Kentucky next week to replenish my stock at a LS that I know has some.

7 hours ago, Jfletchgu said:

Its good stuff. Im traveling to Kentucky next week to replenish my stock at a LS that I know has some.

Good to know. Some stores have it, some don't. It was supposed to be distributed to a few other states but I have never seen it anywhere. Looking forward to trying it when I get back up to Indiana. This has been a great trip. Enjoy yours!

Just opened this. I really like it. Good mouth feel. Oaky and sweet with a fast to moderate finish. Not much on the nose. Paid 20.99 for a liter. Well worth it.

image.jpg

• I like it 4

Hoping to grab another one of these next month in Kentucky!  Just poured some, and this is a delicious whiskey.  Maybe the best value out there right now (just unfortunate it isn't everywhere - or at least where I am!)

1 hour ago, GaryT said:

Hoping to grab another one of these next month in Kentucky!  Just poured some, and this is a delicious whiskey.  Maybe the best value out there right now (just unfortunate it isn't everywhere - or at least where I am!)

Great value. It goes near the top of my low priced BIB list, maybe a close second to VOB. I had been hunting for this for a year before I found it. I hadn't even tried it in a bar. Could have been a huge let down, but very happy with it.

From intial press releases, this is only a limited special edition, and will not be an added product. From what some have said, there was a distribution error, and it's really hitting the floor a year later. Are they still even making it or whatever comes to the floor all we will ever see?

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, cdcdguy said:

Great value. It goes near the top of my low priced BIB list, maybe a close second to VOB. I had been hunting for this for a year before I found it. I hadn't even tried it in a bar. Could have been a huge let down, but very happy with it.

From intial press releases, this is only a limited special edition, and will not be an added product. From what some have said, there was a distribution error, and it's really hitting the floor a year later. Are they still even making it or whatever comes to the floor all we will ever see?

TW guy told me it was in the computer as an ongoing release as of two weeks ago.

10 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

TW guy told me it was in the computer as an ongoing release as of two weeks ago.

What do they mean by an ongoing release? 

12 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

How would you compare it to HH 6YR BIB?

The HH is what got my BIB journey started a couple years back. I could not believe how good it was for 12 or 13 dollars. It will always be in my cabinet, though it seemed to be in short supply on my Kentucky trip last week, so I bought the 6 year green label. It's 90 proof, not bottled in bond, but still good. Anyway I think the ET has a bit more going on with it. It's got more oak, and not totally one dimensional. I have to say I prefer it over HH. Don't let the ET name sway you into thinking it's just a 100 proof version of their basic stuff. It's not. Well made. 

1 hour ago, cdcdguy said:

What do they mean by an ongoing release? 

A regularly produced item.

As has happened with things like this in the past, there seems to be some conflicting information being bandied about. Some folks have heard it will be a regular release. I've heard that too. I was at a charity tasting/raffle a few weeks ago, where I heard it was a one time only release, and that it might be a once or twice yearly release. FWIW, it appears that the salesman and distributor/rep I talked to (same company) weren't on the same page.  <_<  As far as liquor store owners go, most of 'em around here have never even heard of it. 

Biba! Joe

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

A regularly produced item.

As has happened with things like this in the past, there seems to be some conflicting information being bandied about. Some folks have heard it will be a regular release. I've heard that too. I was at a charity tasting/raffle a few weeks ago, where I heard it was a one time only release, and that it might be a once or twice yearly release. FWIW, it appears that the salesman and distributor/rep I talked to (same company) weren't on the same page.  <_<  As far as liquor store owners go, most of 'em around here have never even heard of it. 

Biba! Joe

It would be great if they produce this on a regular basis or at least a couple times a year. It's also interesting how much confusion there has been over this product. I am even more interested now that is didn't let me down, and has almost wowed me, especially at 21 dollars a liter. I keep watching Binneys website hoping it will show up one day. 

• I like it 1

• 6 months later...

Picked up a couple last week.  Really enjoying this one for the money. 

• I like it 1

What state did you find it in? It has not been around Indiana.  I bought some in Kentucky but my last trip nobody had it. 

5 hours ago, cdcdguy said:

What state did you find it in? It has not been around Indiana.  I bought some in Kentucky but my last trip nobody had it. 

Liquor Barn in Louisville. 

Edited by Obeezy1Kaneezy

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.