Show Us Your Stash -- Volume 4

jbutler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

15 minutes ago, km1589 said:

Doing some basement work paint and building a bar finished my cabinet this weekend and got the bottles I want in it pretty happy how it turned out. Now just to build the bar and get it stocked. 

IMG_0825.JPG

IMG_0749.JPG

Please oh please tell us you have that securely anchored to the wall. :blink:

20 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Please oh please tell us you have that securely anchored to the wall. :blink:

it is very secure and the old refrigerator in the first picture has already been moved underneath it as well. So should be safe

1 hour ago, km1589 said:

it is very secure and the old refrigerator in the first picture has already been moved underneath it as well. So should be safe

If those shelves give out, the fridge won't do anything to avert disaster.  There's a cautionary tale a few pages back showing the before and after photos of some unfortunate PVW that used to reside on an insufficiently sturdy top shelf.  

17 hours ago, km1589 said:

Doing some basement work paint and building a bar finished my cabinet this weekend and got the bottles I want in it pretty happy how it turned out. Now just to build the bar and get it stocked. 

IMG_0825.JPG

IMG_0749.JPG

You've got some good looking bottles there.  4R, EC, and Weller = not too shabby.

1 hour ago, kemosabe said:

You've got some good looking bottles there.  4R, EC, and Weller = not too shabby.

Thank you! I am pretty happy with what I have! 

After some searching through my bar, and few cabinets & closets, I pulled together all the bunker bottles for an inventory and sanity check.  I know - I don't have enough open bottles.  I usually never have more than 5-6 bottles open at once.  1 premium, 1 wheater, 1 lower end, 1 CEHT SmB, 1 from Heaven Hill & 1 FRPS.   Those are @ a dozen ECBP & a dozen EC12 that I bought in 2013 when I figured $18 for a 12 year old bourbon was an incredible value.

I have 2 teenage kids - so I can't display the bunker in the house.  I'd hate to have some kids sneak a bottle of 4RLE away for a party or something.

Bourbon Bunk.JPG

11 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

After some searching through my bar, and few cabinets & closets, I pulled together all the bunker bottles for an inventory and sanity check.  I know - I don't have enough open bottles.  I usually never have more than 5-6 bottles open at once.  1 premium, 1 wheater, 1 lower end, 1 CEHT SmB, 1 from Heaven Hill & 1 FRPS.   Those are @ a dozen ECBP & a dozen EC12 that I bought in 2013 when I figured $18 for a 12 year old bourbon was an incredible value.

I have 2 teenage kids - so I can't display the bunker in the house.  I'd hate to have some kids sneak a bottle of 4RLE away for a party or something.

Bourbon Bunk.JPG

Damn.

3 hours ago, kemosabe said:

Bourbon Bunk.JPG

I hope this is what heaven looks like.

7 hours ago, Gorzo said:

I hope this is what heaven looks like.

How on earth does one amass a collection like that? Are you connected? 

I'd imagine over several years building relationships with your locals and doing a lot of hunting and a bit of luck.

4 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

There are plenty of guys on this forum with much larger collections than mine.  For me, it took time, dedication, luck, and $$$.  But all were purchased @ MSRP - many below. 

1 hour ago, kemosabe said:

There are plenty of guys on this forum with much larger collections than mine.  For me, it took time, dedication, luck, and $$$.  But all were purchased @ MSRP - many below. 

That's impressive! Im sure there are some great stories to go along with all of those finds! 

2 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

I'd imagine over several years building relationships with your locals and doing a lot of hunting and a bit of luck.

^^^ Exactly

2 hours ago, kemosabe said:

Thats a great looking stash!  I cant quit looking down each row thinking I would drink that, and that, and that, and that...

So is the plan for a lot of these stash's to be passed on to son's/daughter's with a hope that values have increased and this becomes the kind of thing that helps with that first house purchase, college loans etc etc. As when I look at some of these I see decades worth of drinking and that's if the owner stops buying now.

13 minutes ago, birdie said:

So is the plan for a lot of these stash's to be passed on to son's/daughter's with a hope that values have increased and this becomes the kind of thing that helps with that first house purchase, college loans etc etc. As when I look at some of these I see decades worth of drinking and that's if the owner stops buying now.

I doubt anyone is amassing a bunker as an estate planning tool.  Assuming Gorzo is willing to open and drink everything shown above, he has about 80 bottles rounded to 25 oz. per bottle equals 2000 ounces.  Figure a 2oz pour every other day and that stash is gone in 5.5 years.  Based on other threads here on SB, that's a conservative consumption rate so it could go even sooner.  There are very few bunkers so big that they will realistically out last their owners, however, I bet many of those people are here on SB which may skew perceptions of the average bunker.  I also think there's a thread here discussing bunker sizes.  I have about 300 and no doubt I can drink that down so long as I seriously slow down buying.  

3 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

long as I seriously slow down buying.  

In my experience, the rate only goes up, and I have no expectations of realistically finishing off my rather humble stash.

16 hours ago, kemosabe said:

Bourbon Bunk.JPG

That is a quality stash right there! Well done! 

56 minutes ago, Kane said:

In my experience, the rate only goes up, and I have no expectations of realistically finishing off my rather humble stash.

Actually my rate of purchasing leveled off after I determined I had plenty of what I like to drink.  Now I only buy LE's or something special - like a 4RPS that's looks good or something rare I come across.  I'm happily in my own bourbon rut with my stash.  I may buy 1 new to me bourbon a year - I'm not that curious about trying everything out there.  I've never even tried any WT product, or Willett, or many other popular bourbons. 

I'd like to be able to trade some of my bottles for others I could not find.  I wish there was a trading forum on this site for that purpose. 

18 hours ago, kemosabe said:

Bourbon Bunk.JPG

A man who knows what he likes. 

2 hours ago, birdie said:

My plan is to drink and/or share all of what I have. I'm to the point where I'm really trying to cut back a lot on my purchases. The problem with that is seeing a bottle you really like on the shelf, then having to ask yourself the inevitable question, "Hmmmm. Should I buy this one or not?"  About half the time, the devil on my left shoulder says. "Ahhh, go ahead and grab it. One more bottle won't hurt." <_<

Cheers! Joe

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

My plan is to drink and/or share all of what I have. I'm to the point where I'm really trying to cut back a lot on my purchases. The problem with that is seeing a bottle you really like on the shelf, then having to ask yourself the inevitable question, "Hmmmm. Should I buy this one or not?"  About half the time, the devil on my left shoulder says. "Ahhh, go ahead and grab it. One more bottle won't hurt." <_<

Cheers! Joe

It seems we're plagued by the same devil, Joe! :lol:

6 hours ago, jvd99 said:

I doubt anyone is amassing a bunker as an estate planning tool.  Assuming Gorzo is willing to open and drink everything shown above, he has about 80 bottles rounded to 25 oz. per bottle equals 2000 ounces.  Figure a 2oz pour every other day and that stash is gone in 5.5 years.  Based on other threads here on SB, that's a conservative consumption rate so it could go even sooner.  There are very few bunkers so big that they will realistically out last their owners, however, I bet many of those people are here on SB which may skew perceptions of the average bunker.  I also think there's a thread here discussing bunker sizes.  I have about 300 and no doubt I can drink that down so long as I seriously slow down buying.  

That's not Gorzo's stash, but appreciate you including me in your equations. Especially when I am X in the equation of how long will it take X to drink Kemosabe's stash.  

Edited by Gorzo

Just now, Gorzo said:

That's not Gorzo's stash, but appreciate you including me in your equations. Especially when I am X in the equation of how long will it take X to drink JTaylor's stash.  

OOPS!!:blink: Sorry to Kemosabe, a stash like that deserves proper credit

5 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

OOPS!!:blink: Sorry to Kemosabe, a stash like that deserves proper credit

I messed up the name too before I edited my post.  Need to cut back my pours before posting. 

Edited by Gorzo

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.