Show Us Your Stash -- Volume 4

jbutler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 12/9/2017 at 10:57 AM, Jazz June said:

On a related note, I plan to drink all of my whiskey, but wonder if I ever really will. Because I certainly seem to be buying at least as much as I am drinking. Does anyone with a sizable collection/bunker/whatever actually think they will finish it or reduce it down to a hand full of bottles at any point in their lifetime?

I had a much larger bunker a few years ago. I’m fairly confident that I now have at least 100 bottles less than I used to. Partially I just made a conscious decision to buy less and drink more from the bunker. I also decided to give some bottles as gifts for birthdays/holidays or just as host gifts when friends are having parties rather than buying other stuff for those occasions. That’s for specific people that like whiskey but I know enough people that share my affection that it makes a difference over time. I like the idea of having a bunker in general, but I think getting it down to 50 bottles or less before too terribly long and then keeping it at about that level will make sense for me going forward. Now to some people, 50 sealed bottles still sounds like a lot to have sitting around of course. But then I think about the people I know who have a couple hundred bottles of wine in a wine cellar in their house and nobody seems to judge them negatively?

• I like it 4

9 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

But then I think about the people I know who have a couple hundred bottles of wine in a wine cellar in their house and nobody seems to judge them negatively?

Oh I hate those people. Probably 1%'rs too. Bastards. :D

11 hours ago, DCFan said:

Oh I hate those people. Probably 1%'rs too. Bastards. :D

"Don't hate me because I'm Beautiful."  

If you remember that ad, you're dating yourself . . . . . .   :lol:

• I like it 3

10 hours ago, GeeTen said:

"Don't hate me because I'm Beautiful."  

If you remember that ad, you're dating yourself . . . . . .   :lol:

image.jpeg.09dd4631b8426cf21e49a59686556c8e.jpeg

On December 18, 2017 at 10:08 AM, BottledInBond said:

I had a much larger bunker a few years ago. I’m fairly confident that I now have at least 100 bottles less than I used to. Partially I just made a conscious decision to buy less and drink more from the bunker. I also decided to give some bottles as gifts for birthdays/holidays or just as host gifts when friends are having parties rather than buying other stuff for those occasions. That’s for specific people that like whiskey but I know enough people that share my affection that it makes a difference over time. I like the idea of having a bunker in general, but I think getting it down to 50 bottles or less before too terribly long and then keeping it at about that level will make sense for me going forward.

Nice post BIB. What you posted pretty much sums things up for me too. At one time I had a little over 200 bottles in my stash. The number of bottles I now have is just under 100. I've shared a bunch, gifted some, a few have found new homes in one way or another, and of course I've drank my fair share. :P I too am trying my best to buy less, and drink & share more. There are a couple of obstacles in my way though. My being a Weller whore is one. If I see some Weller at a reasonable price, it's hard for me to pass them by. The other reason is a little more involved. In doing the BOTM, I try to pick one that would probably be of interest to the majority of members here, and one that I've actually tried. I do this to try and give y'all at least some perspective. FWIW, in doing so, I've bought a number of bottles that I probably wouldn't have under normal circumstances. Sometimes it's worked out okay, and other times it hasn't. I have to admit that I've taken a flyer on a few bottles for the cause. :mellow: Still, it's all good. :D

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Kane said:

Speaking of...

"Patience Grasshopper." :)

Joe

On 12/18/2017 at 10:08 AM, BottledInBond said:

I had a much larger bunker a few years ago. I’m fairly confident that I now have at least 100 bottles less than I used to. Partially I just made a conscious decision to buy less and drink more from the bunker. I also decided to give some bottles as gifts for birthdays/holidays or just as host gifts when friends are having parties rather than buying other stuff for those occasions. That’s for specific people that like whiskey but I know enough people that share my affection that it makes a difference over time. I like the idea of having a bunker in general, but I think getting it down to 50 bottles or less before too terribly long and then keeping it at about that level will make sense for me going forward. Now to some people, 50 sealed bottles still sounds like a lot to have sitting around of course. But then I think about the people I know who have a couple hundred bottles of wine in a wine cellar in their house and nobody seems to judge them negatively?

Sometimes I wonder if it's an affection or an affliction...I have taken my first step in not adding to the bunker to be followed by drinking down the bunker.

1 hour ago, Bbstout said:

Sometimes I wonder if it's an affection or an affliction...I have taken my first step in not adding to the bunker to be followed by drinking down the bunker.

We’ll have to drink down each other’s bunkers sometime soon with a couple cigars. Just met a new neighbor who also enjoys good beer, bourbon, and cigars. Thankfully I’m well stocked on whiskey to share currently. I’m picturing a large winter bonfire in our futures....

• I like it 1

I've got what many (well, everyone who doesn't frequent bourbon forums) would consider to be a large collection, and many of the coveted bottles.  I told myself about a year ago that I'd start winnowing it down, but I probably have about as many now as I did then.  The collection is shifting to more high end stuff though, and getting a bit more diversified with some Scotch, Irish, etc.  I've stopped grabbing, say, an ER10 just because I see it at a good price, and I've stopped buying bottles just because I see something I don't have and want to try it.  I've also had a lot of chances this year to acquire good bottles.  Those opportunities may dry up.

I'm a curler, and always have a bottle or two at the club that I'll share with others.  So that's my method of culling the herd of my more basic stuff (I don't mind sharing nicer stuff, but I'm not going to open up a bottle of ORVW or something when the people there won't appreciate it, or dump Coke in it).  I've found myself mostly drinking the good stuff at home.  At 59, I'm not sure I'll ever get through it all.  So be it.  I've stopped worrying about acquiring a Van Winkle or whatever, but if one falls in my lap at or near MSRP, who am I to argue?

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, BottledInBond said:

We’ll have to drink down each other’s bunkers sometime soon with a couple cigars. Just met a new neighbor who also enjoys good beer, bourbon, and cigars. Thankfully I’m well stocked on whiskey to share currently. I’m picturing a large winter bonfire in our futures....

Bonfire on the lake....we can smoke cigars while drinking bourbon while the kids catch walleyes for dinner.

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, Bbstout said:

Yes, I've started a movement! Come on fellas, get on board with us. :D

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Doing a little reorganizing of the bunker and bringing out a few I want to open soon. Pic attached is my shelf after reorganizing.

1bc2627d8674dab07d7a437087be9b61.jpg

• I like it 4

My big cabinet is completely full so I had to purchase another smaller cabinet, unfortunately I've already darn near filled this one up too.  As to the discussion about collecting vs drinking vs hoarding, I don't judge what another man does with is money.  I've got to be pushing 500 bottles of whiskey at this point and with my consumption that's at least 25 years worth of drinking but I don't plan on slowing down my buying of interesting bottles when given the chance.  Maybe someday when the wife and I retire, the buying will slow down, but until then I'll just keep hoarding, drinking, and sharing with family and friends.

Here is the new cabinet...

New Cabinet.jpg

• I like it 7

10 minutes ago, ThirstyinOhio said:

My big cabinet is completely full so I had to purchase another smaller cabinet, unfortunately I've already darn near filled this one up too.  As to the discussion about collecting vs drinking vs hoarding, I don't judge what another man does with is money.  I've got to be pushing 500 bottles of whiskey at this point and with my consumption that's at least 25 years worth of drinking but I don't plan on slowing down my buying of interesting bottles when given the chance.  Maybe someday when the wife and I retire, the buying will slow down, but until then I'll just keep hoarding, drinking, and sharing with family and friends.

New Cabinet.jpg

Impressive! Nice stash

1 hour ago, ThirstyinOhio said:

As to the discussion about collecting vs drinking vs hoarding, I don't judge what another man does with is money.  I've got to be pushing 500 bottles of whiskey at this point and with my consumption that's at least 25 years worth of drinking but I don't plan on slowing down my buying of interesting bottles when given the chance.  Maybe someday when the wife and I retire, the buying will slow down, but until then I'll just keep hoarding, drinking, and sharing with family and friends.

I'll second that sentiment - it's your money and your hobby - have at it any way you want

• I like it 1

34 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

I'll second that sentiment - it's your money and your hobby - have at it any way you want

- Said no wife... ever... 

• I like it 4

33 minutes ago, JTaylor said:

My wife has never said a word to me about any of my hobbies. Of course, I don't say anything about hers either. :)

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, ThirstyinOhio said:

New Cabinet.jpg

hmmmmm.... Do you like willett?

11 minutes ago, bourbon4all said:

hmmmmm.... Do you like willett?

Just a bit....

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, JTaylor said:

Yes on the wife who's 100% complicit in expanding the bunker (she doesn't even drink!)

Guess I've just got it good, sorry JT :lol:

Edited by jvd99
  • I like it 1

My modest stash... (American, Scotch, Japanese and a coupe rums)

Now what to pour tonight???

ivAcAg1.jpg

wJBNmkE.jpg

aZC2Htm.jpg

Edited by Cigars&Bourbon
  • I like it 3

5 hours ago, ThirstyinOhio said:

New Cabinet.jpg

I get the impression everyone's waiting for me to weigh in? :D Well it'll have to wait until tomorrow when I'm off. Long day today and I've got bigger fish to fry, namely what to pour tonight. ;)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.