Show Us Your Stash -- Volume 4

jbutler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On desktop, can't open on it either.

Enoch is just teasing us boys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • I like it 2

On 2/2/2018 at 8:27 AM, smokinjoe said:

Ya know, if asked I would probably be able to name them all, but I didn’t grasp the breadth of the extension of this line until seeing this (Though I think it’s great brand, it does kinda sneak up on you). You’re right, that is awesome!  This brand really has blossomed, and possesses everything one might look for in a bourbon:  Value.  Variety.  Quality.  A (near) Barrel Proof option.  Great visuals (I think the packaging is 5-Star great).  Availability.  Private Barrel Selections.  You name it, 1792 has it.  Whoever is the manager of this brand should get a huge raise.  A great success over the past several years.

How right you are, Joe! I wasn't a fan of 1792 when the VOB 6yr BIB was readily available as I thought the latter was the better choice, but I've since had a change of heart. Several of these have made it home with me lately in the form of store pick small batch/single barrel/full-proof bottlings. It's amazing how many are available around here! The Barton PS program has really picked up steam lately and the QPR makes it a winner. I'm happy to see the folks at Barton getting some recognition with this!

Started collecting about 4 mounths ago after getting bitten by the bourbon bug. I've been on a hoarding rampage ever since! Any bourbon/rye recommendations are welcome that would complement what I have so far. I'm looking for a good rye in particular.aabc29c8504c3bcbe58c31ce8233f3f0.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

• I like it 1

Some nice ones there, I am a big fan of Joseph Magnus and Blanton's, for a rye my favorites recently have been Pikesville, EH Taylor Rye and Kentucky Owl, the first two seem to be readily available.

On 2/6/2018 at 2:18 AM, mosugoji64 said:

How right you are, Joe! I wasn't a fan of 1792 when the VOB 6yr BIB was readily available as I thought the latter was the better choice, but I've since had a change of heart. Several of these have made it home with me lately in the form of store pick small batch/single barrel/full-proof bottlings. It's amazing how many are available around here! The Barton PS program has really picked up steam lately and the QPR makes it a winner. I'm happy to see the folks at Barton getting some recognition with this!

Agreed! I'm about to pick up my 3rd bottle of a local LS's 1792 FP PS and at $43 it is a good buy. Definate keeper!

3 hours ago, newmennium said:

Started collecting about 4 mounths ago after getting bitten by the bourbon bug. I've been on a hoarding rampage ever since! Any bourbon/rye recommendations are welcome that would complement what I have so far. I'm looking for a good rye in particular.aabc29c8504c3bcbe58c31ce8233f3f0.jpg

Very nice!! If you like your CEHT, I suggest you get a CEHT Straight Rye, I'm having a pour of mine right now and it's amazing!

Non rye: I'd throw in a Rock Hill Farms, if you can find one. Or any wild turkey (101.... Or rare breed if you want barrel proof)

Cheers!

Edited by Bourbon Fanatic

4 hours ago, newmennium said:

How about some WT...101, 101rye, RB, RRSiB, RRSib Rye..

On 2/7/2018 at 3:05 PM, newmennium said:

Good line up.  I second the RHF suggestion, along with ETL.   I like Pikesville Rye and I think you should really try the KC Rye.

Good line up.  I second the RHF suggestion, along with ETL.   I like Pikesville Rye and I think you should really try the KC Rye.
Thanks for suggestions. It's definitely a goal to complete the BT offerings. I missed the RHF this week by a few hours! What is KC rye? Do you mean Kentucky Owl?

1 minute ago, newmennium said:

Thanks for suggestions. It's definitely a goal to complete the BT offerings. I missed the RHF this week by a few hours! What is KC rye? Do you mean Kentucky Owl?

Knob creek.

Very nice!! If you like your CEHT, I suggest you get a CEHT Straight Rye, I'm having a pour of mine right now and it's amazing!

Non rye: I'd throw in a Rock Hill Farms, if you can find one. Or any wild turkey (101.... Or rare breed if you want barrel proof)

Cheers!
Thanks for the suggestions as well! I'm half way through the EHT SmB and honestly I've been a bit disappointed. Too much burn on the nose and palate for 100 proof. I liked the ER10 more and it's cheaper. Haven't opened the EHT SiB yet, so maybe it'll be better. Ive read mixed reviews on the EHT rye and at $70+ I didn't want to chance it. Mayne I should reconsider. The ryes I've had it narrowed down to (that I can find) are Pikesville, Whistle Pig PS and Woodford Reserve.

Hello everyone! New to the forum and just thought I’d show off my small collection. I just started really getting into whisk(e)y late last year.

2cfpi6t.jpg

• I like it 3

On 2/7/2018 at 3:05 PM, newmennium said:

I really like Russells Reserve single barrel picks. 110 proof, non chill filtered, generally 9 yrs old or so. Remember, WT barrel entry proof is 115 (110 for some of the early rrsib) so there is very little cutting to get to 110. 

Also keep an eye out for Belle meade single barrels or Smooth Ambler Old Scout single barrels. Both source from MGP and is good value. 9-12 years, 21% rye, cask strength runs 100-120 or so. 

24 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

Remember, WT barrel entry proof is 115 (110 for some of the early rrsib) so there is very little cutting to get to 110. 

I don’t understand the intent of this sentence. Entry proof is not the same after aging. Proof goes up, but I think also down after a time. Difficult to conclude anything about how much cutting it took to bottle at 110 except that it came out of the barrel at 110+. 

17 minutes ago, Charlutz said:

I don’t understand the intent of this sentence. Entry proof is not the same after aging. Proof goes up, but I think also down after a time. Difficult to conclude anything about how much cutting it took to bottle at 110 except that it came out of the barrel at 110+. 

Every barrel changes depending on location, the individual barrel etc, regardless of entry proof. But if it goes in at 115 as opposed to 125, I’d think, on average, the 115 barrels would require less cutting than the 125 barrels. 

Even Rare Breed has ranged from 108-116, well below 125. 

Lincoln Road package barrel 990 was 111 when it was pulled so 110 is almost cask strength for that particular barrel. 

My collection in my office at home. Got another cabinet in the kitchen, but its mostly my open bottles and most of it is not too exciting. There are some hidden bottles in the pic, but this gives an idea.582cd82838e4ff58723d683da33dce5a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Mako254 said:

Every barrel changes depending on location, the individual barrel etc, regardless of entry proof. But if it goes in at 115 as opposed to 125, I’d think, on average, the 115 barrels would require less cutting than the 125 barrels. 

Even Rare Breed has ranged from 108-116, well below 125. 

Lincoln Road package barrel 990 was 111 when it was pulled so 110 is almost cask strength for that particular barrel. 

I suppose. I still don’t understand touting the low entry proof. If you want something uncut, buy barrel proof. And is Stagg Jr. less appealing because it’s “cut” to ~130 pf, which is higher than entry pf but lower than when it’s dumped? I take your point. I guess I just don’t see it as something that would motivate my decision process. I do like RR. Thanks for explaining. 

7 hours ago, jsbac said:

My collection in my office at home. Got another cabinet in the kitchen, but its mostly my open bottles and most of it is not too exciting. There are some hidden bottles in the pic, but this gives an idea.582cd82838e4ff58723d683da33dce5a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I like them OC Classic 90 tax stamp. very good bourbon. 

41 minutes ago, Charlutz said:

I suppose. I still don’t understand touting the low entry proof. If you want something uncut, buy barrel proof. And is Stagg Jr. less appealing because it’s “cut” to ~130 pf, which is higher than entry pf but lower than when it’s dumped? I take your point. I guess I just don’t see it as something that would motivate my decision process. I do like RR. Thanks for explaining. 

I should have added 100-120 or so is my preference. Stagg Jr and some of the ECBPs drink too hot for what I care for. WT bep of 115 is right in my wheelhouse... I get an un cut (or very close) NCF bourbon, at a proof point that I enjoy. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.