Show Us Your Stash -- Volume 4

jbutler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just now, Jackinbox said:

bourbon rack.jpg

There's a photo posted above that you might want to take a look at.

1 minute ago, DCFan said:

There's a photo posted above that you might want to take a look at.

Yeah, I probably ought to move things around to be safe.  :)

59a44ea22a41f_bourbonrack.thumb.jpg.b5257be4c55d3cd2ecfba81e88ba14e1.jpg

I feel like this is done right. A lot of open bottles, enjoyed. Also like how the WT products are put at the top.

19 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

I feel like this is done right. A lot of open bottles, enjoyed. Also like how the WT products are put at the top.

Thanks!  Yeah, I tend to have variety quite often rather than sticking to one bottle and finishing it off.   The full bottles are recent acquisitions, but they'll be getting opened soon.  

2 hours ago, Jackinbox said:

Thanks!  Yeah, I tend to have variety quite often rather than sticking to one bottle and finishing it off.   The full bottles are recent acquisitions, but they'll be getting opened soon.  

I like (and follow) your style.  A little of this and a little of that.  Sometimes takes me a couple years to finish one.  There's about 50 open now... don't tell the mrs... :ph34r:

I also really like your display shelf. Never thought about using a ladder shelf like that.

But I do remain unsure about how secure it is.  I wouldn't keep anything super special on there.

Edited by 0895

35 minutes ago, 0895 said:

I like (and follow) your style.  A little of this and a little of that.  Sometimes takes me a couple years to finish one.  There's about 50 open now... don't tell the mrs... :ph34r:

I also really like your display shelf. Never thought about using a ladder shelf like that.

But I do remain unsure about how secure it is.  I wouldn't keep anything super special on there.

My style as well... I'm pretty sure I have over 50 open. The only problem with that is the internal struggle whenever I encounter something new and/or limited. I want to open it right away so I know whether to go in search of mass quantities, but I have so many open that I feel this voice telling me to leave it sealed until I empty some of them... Luckily, my son just got out of the Navy and is living with us for a bit and has NO Qualms whatsoever emptying those bottles I speculated on that didn't work out! 

On 8/26/2017 at 10:03 PM, Gorzo said:

Came home and  it was all on the ground. Guess top shelf bookcase pin gave way . Somehow every bottle was fine except for PVW 15,20,23 and 15yr squat bottle..... my luck sux!

That really does suck. At least the William Larue Weller & ORVW10 survived! A lot of people (including myself) on SB.com would argue that those 2 are the best of the bunch! If you're ever in North Louisiana hit me up & I'll share some good pours with you!

Cheers,

Jeff

Edited by Louisiana

On 8/26/2017 at 11:03 PM, Gorzo said:

Came home and  it was all on the ground. Guess top shelf bookcase pin gave way . Somehow every bottle was fine except for PVW 15,20,23 and 15yr squat bottle..... my luck sux!

In light of this, and due to the pics  that were posted I have decided to protect my stash from any such incident. 

I sincerely want want to say that sucks that it happened to you. 

IMG_3775.JPG

1 hour ago, Louisiana said:

That really does suck. At least the William Larue Weller & ORVW10 survived! A lot of people (including myself) on SB.com would argue that those 2 are the best of the bunch! If you're ever in North Louisiana hit me up & I'll share some good pours with you!

Cheers,

Jeff

The 10yr didn't survive. Would totally agree with your assessment . If I were to rank.. Larue 1st and ORVW 10 2nd the rest of the PVW in reverse order. And kick the 12yr behind the 23. That being said have tried a lot more of the Larue , 10ORVW and 15 PVW than the rest so far. May not have a very educated opinion on the others. Actually like the WA 107 would be 3rd on my list. Plus it's 100x easier to come by.  

On another note.... Jackinthebox you may want to get on the liver transplant list. That's some impressive drinking. I keep a mixer, 2 sippers and premium sipper open pretty much all the time. Guess that makes me a wuss.

1 minute ago, Radioyada said:

In light of this, and due to the pics  that were posted I have decided to protect my stash from any such incident. 

I sincerely want want to say that sucks that it happened to you. 

IMG_3775.JPG

Good move. I put the few  high end bottles I have left in a bedroom drawer . Each bottle is stuffed in a thick wool hunting sock. May be a little overboard, but not going to happen to me again. 

Some you might find this funny if you are over 40yrs old and remember the commercial. My friend sent me this pic after I texted him the photos of the destruction. 

IMG_0870.PNG

Some you might find this funny if you are over 40yrs old and remember the commercial. My friend sent me this pic after I texted him the photos of the destruction. 
IMG_0870.thumb.PNG.6c41e9176942a3ab58dfaa552e1bf663.PNG

Don't need to be over 40 to appreciate this.

5 hours ago, Gorzo said:

Good move. I put the few  high end bottles I have left in a bedroom drawer . Each bottle is stuffed in a thick wool hunting sock. May be a little overboard, but not going to happen to me again. 

Unless you have really deep/tall bedroom drawers, this means your bottles are on their sides. That's not a good way to store whiskey as the high alcohol content will eventually deteriorate the cork.

2 hours ago, flahute said:

Unless you have really deep/tall bedroom drawers, this means your bottles are on their sides. That's not a good way to store whiskey as the high alcohol content will eventually deteriorate the cork.

Had no clue. Thanks!

go easy guys. only started a short time ago but im really enjoying my journey so far.

IMG_0603.JPG

On 8/26/2017 at 10:14 PM, Gorzo said:

Guess I can lick the floor

IMG_0854.JPG

man I am so sorry to see this happen.  I have had shelf failure fear for some time.  My condolences for your losses!

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 10:15 PM, Gorzo said:

IMG_0842.PNG

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 7:16 AM, Gorzo said:

I wouldnt say I found the  PVW or 15yr squat bottle. The PVW is all due to my cousin losing 25k -50k everytime he goes to Vegas . He tends to get the hook up. I told him to ask for some PVW for the bar and his room . Brought home the stuff in his room. Luckily he is a beer drinker.  15yr ORVW was a  payoff/trade for something else that has nothing to do with bourbon. Everything else is store bought, gift shops or lotteries. 

Looks nice. Although they all appear to be in desperate need of regular consumption! No doubt many of us would be available to assist with that... :D

1 minute ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Looks nice. Although they all appear to be in desperate need of regular consumption! No doubt many of us would be available to assist with that... :D

Not anymore... Keep reading Bruce. Not a happy ending I'm afraid. 

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:14 PM, Gorzo said:

Guess I can lick the floor

IMG_0854.JPG

YIKES! Does go to show the value of regular consumption though. My sympathies for your loss! :(

Edited by tanstaafl2

6 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

YIKES! Does go to show the value of regular consumption though. My sympathies for your loss! :(

Just to tack onto what Bruce said, my sympathies.  And while my marriage has no room for 100+ open bottles, the above incident has caused me to reevaluate my storage SOP.  I'm definitely going to take a day off ASAP and secure all of my really valuable (monetarily or in terms of value to me personally) bottles in a better location.

Remindes me

4 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

Just to tack onto what Bruce said, my sympathies.  And while my marriage has no room for 100+ open bottles, the above incident has caused me to reevaluate my storage SOP.  I'm definitely going to take a day off ASAP and secure all of my really valuable (monetarily or in terms of value to me personally) bottles in a better location.

I have one word for you. Steel! Well, more accurate to say metal wire basket shelving (which is more than one word).

59a85050441d9_Basementstorage.JPG.2f8d4231f16583ad959fc006580013e1.JPG

May not be pretty but not much chance of any shelves collapsing! Although I confess I do have a few bottles on shelves on the bar upstairs that will need to be reevaluated!

Edited by tanstaafl2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.