Clairin Rhum from Haiti

tanstaafl2
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This is a product that was all over the French cocktail bar scene when I was there last week (and London to I think. At least it is available on TWE). Another Luca Gargano product it would seem. The implication seems to be that "clairin" is its own style that is similar to rhum agricole and cachaca but made in Haiti and really made more from the sugar syrup than fresh cane juice. A bit like Richland Rum perhaps? It is the cheap domestic "rum" of Haiti.

Anyway I tried it neat and in a few cocktails. All the ones I tried were unaged (or filtered?) and there were a few different varieties offered which apparently come from different local and presumably small distilleries in Haiti using small pot stills. Certainly more vegetal like an agricole to me. And apparently cheap enough to be used routine in a bar.

But I haven't seen it here in the US yet. Anybody else seen it here? I think I should have brought at least one back in retrospect.

I have not seen any in the US either. I thought Astor had some at one point, but I do not see in on their website now so I'm likely mistaken.

Maybe you should import some? Would be an interesting business venture!

59 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

I have not seen any in the US either. I thought Astor had some at one point, but I do not see in on their website now so I'm likely mistaken.

Maybe you should import some? Would be an interesting business venture!

Way too many stupid rules just to get started I suspect!

6 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Way too many stupid rules just to get started I suspect!

Yeah, it's pretty outrageous. I've spent quite a few hours researching it and the number of steps required to get a new liquor imported and onto shelves is dizzying. Just figured I'd throw it out there in case you were looking to moonlight!

2 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

Yeah, it's pretty outrageous. I've spent quite a few hours researching it and the number of steps required to get a new liquor imported and onto shelves is dizzying. Just figured I'd throw it out there in case you were looking to moonlight!

Only thing I am looking to do is drink more of it! Do wish now I had sucked it up and brought a bottle back if for no other reason than the curiosity factor.

3 hours ago, sailor22 said:

How does it compare to some of the Jamaican pot still rums?

It was a bit of a cross between agricole and the Jamaican pot stills like Hampden. A little more fruity and perhaps not quite as funky. More grassy. There are apparently several small distilleries in Haiti Luca is sourcing this from based on what I can find.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.