EU Considers Bourbon Tariff

Kpiz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This would have an immediate impact on the price of bourbon to Europeans and would likely cause some to seek alternatives, reducing overall demand for the products.   The good news for consumers here is that we would see more supply and perhaps a softening of prices.

NY Times also has an opinion piece by Fred Minnick, author of "Bourbon: The Rise, Fall, and Rebirth of an American Whiskey”, pointing out some other potential adverse impacts of trade protectionism to the Bourbon industry.

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/11/opinion/will-trump-kill-the-bourbon-boom.html?action=click&contentCollection=Politics&module=Trending&version=Full&region=Marginalia&pgtype=article

Hmmm, as usual more than one (many?) likely unexpected, undesirable, and maybe unfortunate 'side effects' for all these reactionary (and usually foolish) trade-as-a-whip-to-gain-compliance ideas. 

These strategies almost always have immediate and often lingering bad unplanned consequences.    The status quo may not be great for us folx (on this continent, anyway); but these kinds of bullshit petty nationalistic ideas rarely turn out good for anybody.    I guess we shall see pretty soon.....  

All this is, of course just my own opinion, but I think I'm more right than wrong about most of it.

I think it's no coincidence that both bourbon (typically), and the Senate Majority Leader are from Kentucky.  

I can only hope that the US administration re-retaliates with a massive tariff on cravats and ascots... ;)

I can only hope that the US administration re-retaliates with a massive tariff on cravats and ascots... [emoji6]

That will really get Fred fired up!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.