Jump to content
tanstaafl2

New "blended" whiskey from Beam called "Little Book"

Recommended Posts

NYCBourbon
9 minutes ago, Bnrhodes3 said:

I haven't tried either of those yet, but have been wanting to try the M46 for a while. Costco has dedicated liquor stores!?

 

I'm not a huge wheater fan but M46 is definitely worth a try, the cask strength even more so if you can find it. And kinda...they have a separate garage type thing adjacent to the main costco building that houses their liquor. So no so much a separate liquor store as a dedicated liquor shed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bnrhodes3
13 minutes ago, NYCBourbon said:

 

I'm not a huge wheater fan but M46 is definitely worth a try, the cask strength even more so if you can find it. And kinda...they have a separate garage type thing adjacent to the main costco building that houses their liquor. So no so much a separate liquor store as a dedicated liquor shed!

I'm a fan of wheaters, so I'll definitely have to grab it then! The cask strength is everywhere out here for $50-$55 (I've only tried standard MM).

 

That's kind of cool! Does NY have the laws where only dedicated locations can sell liquor? I grew up in Pennsylvania where there were dedicated beer distributors and dedicated liquor stores - couldn't get anything at grocery or convenience stores - moving to AZ where there is booze everywhere was kind of a surprise haha. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NYCBourbon
18 minutes ago, Bnrhodes3 said:

I'm a fan of wheaters, so I'll definitely have to grab it then! The cask strength is everywhere out here for $50-$55 (I've only tried standard MM).

 

That's kind of cool! Does NY have the laws where only dedicated locations can sell liquor? I grew up in Pennsylvania where there were dedicated beer distributors and dedicated liquor stores - couldn't get anything at grocery or convenience stores - moving to AZ where there is booze everywhere was kind of a surprise haha. 

Grew up in Pennsylvania as well (Mechanicsburg, outside of Harrisburg), the liquor laws there are definitely strange but occasionally you can come by great prices. Not sure if it's a legal thing or not, although it very well could be!

 

I don't know what MMCS goes for in the rest of the country but here it's usually ~$60 so that seems like a good price to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bnrhodes3
1 minute ago, NYCBourbon said:

Grew up in Pennsylvania as well (Mechanicsburg, outside of Harrisburg), the liquor laws there are definitely strange but occasionally you can come by great prices. Not sure if it's a legal thing or not, although it very well could be!

 

I don't know what MMCS goes for in the rest of the country but here it's usually ~$60 so that seems like a good price to me. 

O cool! I've only been in the Harrisburg area a few times - I was in the northwestern part of the state, close to absolutely nothing (Erie, PA, State College, PA, and Buffalo, NY were all 2 hours away in different directions haha). I moved before I turned 21, so I never got in to dealing with prices, but visited with parents and my older brother. 

 

I'm sure in time I'll pick up all of this stuff if the prices stay in these reasonable ranges!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink

NY is liquor/wine stores separate from retail/grocery, however Beer is mostly at grocery stores and beverage outlets that sell beer/soda/mixers, additionally all need to be independently owned so no chains.  Strangely most NJ Costco's are separate liquor stores with a couple exceptions even though there is nothing really against it as far as I know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lcpfratn

I opened my bottle tonight, and I have to say that I do like it. It's a little thin, but still has a nice long finish. It's not Booker's, but you you still taste the similarities in addition to a little more oak. I've not added any water at this point because I don't really think it needs it. I haven't decided whether I'll buy another bottle yet, but I'm happy with my initial purchase.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Niner Outlaw

Little Book has hit east Texas. Selling for $80. I passed and I think I'll continue passing at that price. 

 

Btw, Great info in this thread on blending histories. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BamaGrad2005

While at a LE release this fall, I picked up a bottle at MSRP along with the featured bottle (OF Birthday). My friends with me decided to split the cost and take it to the Kentucky football game to drink while tailgating. Everyone really enjoyed it and set out to get a bottle of their own. It is different, but we all really enjoyed it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2

Not sure what happened when I tried it but I need to try it again. Didn't care for it all the first time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lcpfratn

I decided to have another pour of this tonight after several wonderful pours of ECBP batch #12. It's certainly different than ECBP, as you'd expect any Beam product to be. It doesn't have the caramel and vanilla sweetness that you get with ECBP. It does have the Beam peanut "funk" flavor, but is also more wood forward than ECBP, which surprises me. It's pretty good stuff, but certainly different. Do I like it as much as ECBP? No. Do I like this as much as Booker's? Probably not, but I like Booker's almost as much as ECBP. Will I purchase another bottle before I finish this bottle? Hmmm....the jury is still out.

 

 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
flahute
2 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Will I purchase another bottle before I finish this bottle? Hmmm....the jury is still out.

 

Ummm......not sounding like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe

The word that keeps popping up here is "different".  That is a word that piques my interest, generally.  I have almost picked this up a couple of times, just to pass it by. Darn it, the  opinions here are compelling me to drop one in my buggy next time I'm at the mongers.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Canarse

I think it's the 13yr old corn whiskey that is what everyone is trying to wrap their head around.  It's that sweet corn smell and then the surprisingly heavy oak flavor.  It is definitely lacks the caramel and vanilla you may expect from a bourbon.  To me it is a nice change of pace.  Others may not want a change of pace. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lcpfratn
Ummm......not sounding like it.

Haha! You’re probably right Steve! I definitely wouldn’t buy another for what they are asking in stores around me, but I’d probably buy another if I found one for less than $70.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lcpfratn
I think it's the 13yr old corn whiskey that is what everyone is trying to wrap their head around.  It's that sweet corn smell and then the surprisingly heavy oak flavor.  It is definitely lacks the caramel and vanilla you may expect from a bourbon.  To me it is a nice change of pace.  Others may not want a change of pace. 

I agree with your description, and it’s definitely not as sweet as I expected, given the corn whiskey content.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×