What Bourbon Is This?

cdcdguy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Ok, I rarely buy stuff I haven't heard of or researched . My local store just got only 2 of these in. We know nothing about it. Anyone have info.?

image.jpg

It's a Campari product made at Wild Turkey, part of their "Whiskey Barons Collection" that their marketing folks are telling people is pre-prohibition in some way a la Diageo marketing. It is a 7 year age stated Wild Turkey bourbon they are charging a premium for. Haven't tried it so I can't comment on how it tastes.

35 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

It's a Campari product made at Wild Turkey, part of their "Whiskey Barons Collection" that their marketing folks are telling people is pre-prohibition in some way a la Diageo marketing. It is a 7 year age stated Wild Turkey bourbon they are charging a premium for. Haven't tried it so I can't comment on how it tastes.

Yeah, it was pretty expensive,40 dollars for the 375. I don't usually chase crafty bourbons, but it wasn't a big investment. I love Wild Turkey, so maybe I will enjoy this one too. Thanks for your info.

If your a Wild Turkey fan it would be interesting to see how you like it against standard WT101.

5 hours ago, cdcdguy said:

Yeah, it was pretty expensive,40 dollars for the 375. I don't usually chase crafty bourbons, but it wasn't a big investment. I love Wild Turkey, so maybe I will enjoy this one too. Thanks for your info.

This was a Va ABC lottery selection a few months ago that must've been a dud.  And at $59.99 for a 375 it's not hard to see why.  Not many must've entered the lottery as there are many bottles now available at stores all around me. (thanks to their handy website). Old Ripy was the companion offering in that lottery (same size and price) and is also readily available nearby.

1 hour ago, DCFan said:

This was a Va ABC lottery selection a few months ago that must've been a dud.  And at $59.99 for a 375 it's not hard to see why.  Not many must've entered the lottery as there are many bottles now available at stores all around me. (thanks to their handy website). Old Ripy was the companion offering in that lottery (same size and price) and is also readily available nearby.

Well at 40.00 I guess I got a buy!

11 hours ago, cdcdguy said:

Well at 40.00 I guess I got a buy!

Local TW has the Bond & Lillard at $49.99/375ml and the Old Ripy at $43.99/375ml OTD.  Easy pass ($100 & $88/750ml!) and spent $80 on a bunker back-up of Barrell Bourbon #11 750ml instead ($5 more than the first bottle I bought).  And me likee WT . . . .  :P

3 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Local TW has the Bond & Lillard at $49.99/375ml and the Old Ripy at $43.99/375ml OTD.  Easy pass ($100 & $88/750ml!) and spent $80 on a bunker back-up of Barrell Bourbon #11 750ml instead ($5 more than the first bottle I bought).  And me likee WT . . . .  :P

1. Sounds like you did good!  But seems  like folks here have passed on my overpriced bourbon. Hope I have all ears when I do a review!

14 minutes ago, cdcdguy said:
  1. Sounds like you did good!  But seems  like folks here have passed on my overpriced bourbon. Hope I have all ears when I do a review!

Definitely interested in what you think.  I too passed because of the price of a 375 mL bottle.

I picked up the Old Ripy (for $50 I think from a Binny's). Yes, it's expensive for a 375mm. It's also fantastic, probably my favorite WT bottling. It has a good amount of tannic oak which I really enjoy, balanced well with the typical sweetness and baking space, with just a slight bit of rye kick that I would expect in WT juice.

I like Old Ripy Better than WTMK 17 (which I found surprisingly hot and rough). I should pick up another bottle of Russell's Reserve Single Barrel and do a side by side, from memory I like the Old Ripy better but it's been 6 months or so since I finished the bottle of RRSB.

I haven't tried the Bond & Lillard, but am curious to know what others think of it.

Edited by EarthQuake

7 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Yeah I just saw OR and B&L at a store this morning for $80 each! 

And at that price I bet it'll be there the next time you go there. ;)

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

Yeah I just saw OR and B&L at a store this morning for $80 each! 

So, they sell the regular size bottle? I have only seen the small one. 

13 minutes ago, cdcdguy said:

No it's a LE only sold in 375.

So my next question. When I review it, should I do it here since we are talking about it, or what did you open today, or what are you drinking summer 2017???

4 hours ago, cdcdguy said:

Nope..they were 375s. $79.99! Nope.

1 hour ago, cdcdguy said:

So my next question. When I review it, should I do it here since we are talking about it, or what did you open today, or what are you drinking summer 2017???

Here's fine since so much has been written about it already.

Wherever you want, though I'd recommend the what are you drinking thread to get the most eyeballs on it.

1 hour ago, flahute said:

Wherever you want, though I'd recommend the what are you drinking thread to get the most eyeballs on it.

That's what  I think I will do. May crack it open tonight.

That's what  I think I will do. May crack it open tonight.

Yeah, it has been a little maligned by the bourbon community since the Russell's weren't involved and it is being touted as a limited edition.  But, the fact remains, we all have different preferences and perspectives.  I have seen the price range from $39.99 to $49.99.  It will be great to read your thoughts.

On July 22, 2017 at 8:48 PM, mbroo5880i said:

Yeah, it has been a little maligned by the bourbon community since the Russell's weren't involved and it is being touted as a limited edition.  But, the fact remains, we all have different preferences and perspectives.  I have seen the price range from $39.99 to $49.99.  It will be great to read your thoughts.

They have now been posted in the what are you enjoying section on July 22!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.