New Early Times BIB bourbon

Jfletchgu
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On August 29, 2017 at 1:15 PM, Paddy said:

Hoping it'll get me to second base:lol:!

All you need is a walk and a sacrifice Pat. :lol:

Cheers! Joe

19 hours ago, Paddy said:

Yep, I don't taste any pot still influence, but it's got the family DNA stamped all over it.  Not much to compliment on the nose, a moderate/pretty silky smooth mouthfeel, with a decent medium longish finish.  I also detect a hint of the bit-o-minty freshness on the tongue, which, to me, is reminiscent of the profile on the 1920.

In comparison, I don't find that much similarity to the HH BIB's, as I find this less grainy/corn forward with a completely different yeast DNA profile.  As to other BIB's, I find this less fruity sweet than Barton, and older tasting (as well as much more interesting) than the current Willett OBBIB. At 100 proof, it's closer to OF Sig than any of the other BIB's I didn't bother to bring up, but what'd I expect with a distillate that's proclaimed as an all B-F column stilled iteration?:lol:  Having said that, I like this better than the most recent OF Sig I had the pleasure to tango with, as I find this to have a bit more going on in the complexity  department.

So, my take is that this is a younger, less refined relative of the 1920 (with a nice licorice kick on the end of your briches:P)!   

Thanks for the notes, Paddy!

5 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

All you need is a walk and a sacrifice Pat. :lol:

Cheers! Joe

Joe, I'll take it any way I can get it, but I'm more of a bunt and steal kind of guy.  :P

Well the OP finally crossed over the border into Kentucky and picked up a bottle. Paddy did a great job of describing it. This is far and away my favorite BIB at the moment. I didnt think VOBBIB would ever be beat as my go to budget BIB, but ET really nailed it with this one. I recommend if you find one to give it a try.

7 hours ago, Paddy said:

Joe, I'll take it any way I can get it, but I'm more of a bunt and steal kind of guy.  :P

Paddy!  Everybody knows, Chicks dig the long ball!!  

Er...uh...in baseball I mean...We are talkin' baseball, right?:D

Edited by smokinjoe

12 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Paddy!  Everybody knows, Chicks dig the long ball!!  

Er...uh...in baseball I mean...We are talkin' baseball, right?:D

Hey Joe!  A lotta folks probably don't know this, but both Glavine and Smoltzy were helluva hitters (for a couple of hall of famer pitchers)!

I think Glavine won the Silver Slugger Award 4 or 5 times! 

Them boys weren't too shabby! 

So yeah, we're talking about baseball...;)

Well, I opened my bottle up yesterday during the NFL games.  I'm not crazy about it but I don't hate it.  I'm getting some of the "copper penny" taste that I get from some of the other Brown-Forman expressions.  Perhaps after it's open for a bit, it will improve.  So far, I'd say it's far inferior to the HHBIB.

1 hour ago, Jackinbox said:

Well, I opened my bottle up yesterday during the NFL games.  I'm not crazy about it but I don't hate it.  I'm getting some of the "copper penny" taste that I get from some of the other Brown-Forman expressions.  Perhaps after it's open for a bit, it will improve.  So far, I'd say it's far inferior to the HHBIB.

Very true about the "copper penny" taste. I personally love that about the OF bourbons and do get that from the ETBIB.

On 8/29/2017 at 6:40 PM, mosugoji64 said:

Any similarity to other BF bottles?

Other than Early Times KW, I didn't really get all that much similarity. OF and ET are pretty different mashbill-wise so I didn't expect any. Planning a review in the near future so hopefully I'll have sorted out my thoughts by then!

Edited by Josh

2 hours ago, Josh said:

Other than Early Times KW, I didn't really get all that much similarity. OF and ET are pretty different mashbill-wise so I didn't expect any. Planning a review in the near future so hopefully I'll have sorted out my thoughts by then!

I'd like to get a bottle if only to compare to the ET 354 bourbon, which to me wasn't bad for 80 proof, I would imagine at 100 proof it would be a pretty tasty pour.

I picked up a bottle over the weekend st KBF and am finding it to be a nice sipper on a cube.  Very easy drinking.  So much so, I'm hard pressed to recognize its 50% ABV.  I detect no copper penny pot still influence, but rather a nice sweetishness with heavy and delicious chocolate notes, along with honey and standard bourbony caramel.  Pretty much what a nice bourbon should deliver.  Wood influence is subtle throughout until expressing more fully at the finish.  I'll admit, if that end didn't materialize, I would have been disappointed overall in this ET BIB.  

Nothing off-tasting in this whiskey at all.  All in all, it's simple, sweet, inexpensive, and pleasant tasting.  It delivered what I was expecting in a $22/liter bourbon, and I think it will take a deserved seat at the table of respected good value BIB bourbons with OGD, VOB, HH, and JB on my bar.   I'll buy it again.  

29 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

and delicious chocolate notes, along with honey and standard bourbony caramel.  

Good to know someone else noticed the chocolate as well. I found it to remind me a lot of dark chocolate specifically on the finish, but maybe that's just me.

Edited by Jfletchgu

53 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I picked up a bottle over the weekend st KBF and am finding it to be a nice sipper on a cube.  Very easy drinking.  So much so, I'm hard pressed to recognize its 50% ABV.  I detect no copper penny pot still influence, but rather a nice sweetishness with heavy and delicious chocolate notes, along with honey and standard bourbony caramel.  Pretty much what a nice bourbon should deliver.  Wood influence is subtle throughout until expressing more fully at the finish.  I'll admit, if that end didn't materialize, I would have been disappointed overall in this ET BIB.  

Nothing off-tasting in this whiskey at all.  All in all, it's simple, sweet, inexpensive, and pleasant tasting.  It delivered what I was expecting in a $22/liter bourbon, and I think it will take a deserved seat at the table of respected good value BIB bourbons with OGD, VOB, HH, and JB on my bar.   I'll buy it again.  

I'm glad you are enjoying it.  I'll certainly crack it open again soon and see if my opinion changes.  The price is certainly good.  The world of bourbon would be a pretty boring place if we all agreed on everything. :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2017 at 9:01 PM, Jfletchgu said:

Good to know someone else noticed the chocolate as well. I found it to remind me a lot of dark chocolate specifically on the finish, but maybe that's just me.

Its huge.  I poured one a bit ago, then got busy doing some other stuff.  I sat down without thinking or remembering what was in the glass, took a sip, and was floored by the chocolate note.  After retracing my steps to remember what it was, it made sense.  Really enjoying this whiskey.

Edited by smokinjoe

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Its huge.  I poured one a bit ago, then got busy doing some other stuff.  I sat down without thinking or remembering what was in the glass, took a sip, and was floored by the chocolate note.  After retracing my steps to remember what it was, it made sense.  Really enjoying this whiskey.

Your ability to compel me to buy a bottle of new bourbon: I shall not resist it this time.

:wacko: You guys are killing me.  I'm still looking.  Indiana is probably near the last to get anything new.

This is a true story.  After ET 354 Bourbon was discontinued; I e-mailed Brown Forman.  I suggested a bonded version.

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 4:15 PM, PaulO said:

:wacko: You guys are killing me.  I'm still looking.  Indiana is probably near the last to get anything new.

This is a true story.  After ET 354 Bourbon was discontinued; I e-mailed Brown Forman.  I suggested a bonded version.

I struck out looking for it in Lexington this weekend. OK, I didn't look THAT hard but checked several stores and didn't see it.

3 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I struck out looking for it in Lexington this weekend. OK, I didn't look THAT hard but checked several stores and didn't see it.

Ive passed about 10 bottles. They're not moving at all where I've been. 

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 9:52 PM, FasterHorses said:

Ive passed about 10 bottles. They're not moving at all where I've been. 

Came back by way of Knoxville and didn't see it in the one store I stopped at there either. Should have gone through Nashville!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.