11/27/77 Bourbon

BourbonGirl9765
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm looking for recommendations on a great 40th birthday Bourbon for one of my best friends. Her birthday is 11/27/77, and I'd love to get a bottle with that date on it. I'm also open to other recommendations! Thanks in advance for your help!

1 hour ago, BourbonGirl9765 said:

I'm looking for recommendations on a great 40th birthday Bourbon for one of my best friends. Her birthday is 11/27/77, and I'd love to get a bottle with that date on it. I'm also open to other recommendations! Thanks in advance for your help!

I assume you're prepared to paaaaaaay muuuuuuucho dinaro for said bottle. 

First, very few Bourbons label bottle with month and day.    Second, any bottle that would still be available from that long ago would be in the possession of a collector who likely wouldn't give it up easily (if at all).

As to alternatives, one might be able to suggest some, if more info as to her preferences were available.

I'd say any well-made Bourbon, of $35 or more would be well-received by most of us.

The date thing is unlikely, if not impossible, you could probably spend big bucks on a 1977 Scotch, Cognac or Armagnac. Not knowing your spending limit it's hard to make recommendations.  I'm not sure how long you have been friends but maybe there is another date you could go with, for instance 1998 would be the year of their 21st birthday so that might be good (yet still hard to track down). 

16 hours ago, BourbonGirl9765 said:

Welcome to the forums!  I think you need to keep a few things in mind.  A bourbon from that era is going to be very expensive depending on your budget (also, what is your budget?).  Bourbons from that era aren't necessarily known for exact bottling or barreling dates, either.  Also, that date is probably fairly close to the Thanksgiving holiday (that appears to be the Sunday after Turkey Day, 1977), so it is possible that little or no bourbon was even distilled or barreled on that day.  Finally, if you were to find bourbon with that specific date, you'd probably have to buy it illegally or at auction.

You might have better luck with scotch (also probably very expensive, $500+) or a French brandy like Cognac or Armagnac.  Armagnac in particular from the late 1970s is still relatively affordable ($100ish-$400ish range unless particularly notable house or vintage), and does share some common traits with bourbon, particularly an oaky profile.  

18 hours ago, BourbonGirl9765 said:

As has been stated finding a bottle with the exact date is a fruitless endeavor. A bottle of that vintage, depending on the spirit can be expensive, Scotches from ~$350, Armagnacs from ~$150.

But if it's just the date you find important, how about getting a bottle of her favorite spirit and taking it to a trophy shop and they can engrave the glass, or perhaps if it suits your fancy, make an adhesive brass plate or neck hanger for the bottle.

An upside to this is of course you could add a personalization.

I would recommend a gold wax Maker's Mark commemorative bottle.  It's a cost effective gift, easily attainable (most large stores have them available), and you can have the plate engraved any way you want it. 

It's not the best bourbon in the world, but it does make for a beautiful gift (and most folks are going to display something like this, rather than drink it, anyway;))!

On 8/2/2017 at 2:17 PM, BourbonGirl9765 said:

Thanks to everyone for the responses! I thought a bottle that old might be out of price range ($300 at most) or impossible to find. She is actually a scotch drinker but I thought a bottle of KY Bourbon might be a nice gift from her KY best friend. I'm hitting the bourbon trail soon and considered hand dipping a bottle of makers for her. Any other unique bourbon gifts you all would suggest?

Edited by BourbonGirl9765

On 8/3/2017 at 9:21 PM, BourbonGirl9765 said:

Thanks to everyone for the responses! I thought a bottle that old might be out of price range ($300 at most) or impossible to find. She is actually a scotch drinker but I thought a bottle of KY Bourbon might be a nice gift from her KY best friend. I'm hitting the bourbon trail soon and considered hand dipping a bottle of makers for her. Any other unique bourbon gifts you all would suggest?

The hand dipped makers or an engraved knob creek (from beam)  would both be great reasonably priced personal gifts.

Woodford used to do a nice engraved bottle. Don't know if they still are. And since the whiskey tends to be a bit dicey at best anyway you won't be too upset by not ever opening it! :lol:

3 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Woodford used to do a nice engraved bottle. Don't know if they still are. And since the whiskey tends to be a bit dicey at best anyway you won't be too upset by not ever opening it! :lol:

My family got me a Woodford Double Oak engraved for father's day a couple years ago. Very nicely done engraving and a meaningful custom message on a classy looking bottle... And the Double Oak offering is definitely a step up in flavor from the normal Woodford so if she decided to open the bottle she'll be treated to a quality bourbon.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.