Oktoberfest Beers are arriving

Postal Grunt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I had my first sightings of Oktoberfest beers for the season at the NKC Costco this evening. They had quantities of Sam Adams, Hofbrau, and Hacker-Pschorr. As welcome as they are to see, I always welcome "Bob's 47" from Boulevard Brewing in KC, MO. It's a very limited release that can be sold out by the time October rolls around so it's buy as much as you can when you can. A great beer to put aside for sipping while watching football games. Free State Brewing in Lawrence, KS also serves up a highly regarded Oktoberfest as well.

I'm waiting for Dark Horse Oktoberfest.  After all, it's only early August.

• 1 month later...

I'm a few in for the season, now.  My favorite continues to be Sam Adams, as is the case in most years.  The Bell's has been a pleasant surprise, and the Great Lakes is always top notch. Today I am enjoying a Brooklyn Oktoberfest after cutting the grass, and restocking the remainder of last years firewood, in anticipation of a new cord arriving on Friday.  

IMG_4139.JPG

Edited by smokinjoe

I probably could start a new thread but it's comparable, anyone have any pumpkin beer recommendations?

Was going to get some Southern Tier PumKing from a grocery store that had it on its twitter feed but it was jammed packed with Sunday post Texans game shoppers. In Houston Saint Arnold makes a great one called Pumkinator but it's not out until mid next month. Thanks in advance.

2 minutes ago, Golzee said:

Sierra Nevada's Oktoberfest is very good this year. Each year they release a different version which is in collaboration with a German brewery.

http://www.sierranevada.com/beer/seasonal/oktoberfest

Yessir, I agree.  I failed to mention that one, but it is indeed very good this year.  

Had my first go with this seasons Sammy Adams, and find it to be markedly improved from last years iteration.  

I see a three way taste off in my near future (Sierra, SA and Leiny)!:D 

I probably could start a new thread but it's comparable, anyone have any pumpkin beer recommendations?

Was going to get some Southern Tier PumKing from a grocery store that had it on its twitter feed but it was jammed packed with Sunday post Texans game shoppers. In Houston Saint Arnold makes a great one called Pumkinator but it's not out until mid next month. Thanks in advance.

It’s been a while since I’ve had Pumking, but I remember it tasting like liquid pumpkin pie. Good if you’re in the mood for something sweet n easy.

I enjoy Avery’s PumpKYn and Rumpkin, but they’re both very high ABV and pretty intense, so I have to be in the mood for that sort of a thing and have a buddy to split the bottle with.

In case you have access to it, my favorite pumpkin beer in the last couple years has been “He Said” from 21st Amendment brewery here in SF. It’s a Tripel-style beer brewed with pumpkin and spices. It is a pretty weird one, but hits the right notes for me.

It’s been a while since I’ve had Pumking, but I remember it tasting like liquid pumpkin pie. Good if you’re in the mood for something sweet n easy.

I enjoy Avery’s PumpKYn and Rumpkin, but they’re both very high ABV and pretty intense, so I have to be in the mood for that sort of a thing and have a buddy to split the bottle with.

In case you have access to it, my favorite pumpkin beer in the last couple years has been “He Said” from 21st Amendment brewery here in SF. It’s a Tripel-style beer brewed with pumpkin and spices. It is a pretty weird one, but hits the right notes for me.

Thanks for the reply. Pumking was ok, exactly as you described but not quite what I was looking for.

I've seen the Rumpkin, may need to give it a shot. Haven't noticed PumKYn yet, would certainly pick it up and try and will now look out for it.

No 21st amendment brews here that I know of. Too much good west coast brews, need to get out there.

I've tried the Rhinegeist and Sierra Nevada 'fest beers since my last report.

I think my current order for this season is Sammy Adams, Rhinegeist, Leinenkugel, then Sierra Nevada. 

They're all pretty good, but the SN just didn't seem as balanced as the others IMO.  If I had tasted it blind, I would've probably thought I was drinking last years Sammy, as it's layered pretty well, but with just a hint of bitterness on the end.

On 10/4/2017 at 2:34 PM, Paddy said:

I've tried the Rhinegeist and Sierra Nevada 'fest beers since my last report.

I think my current order for this season is Sammy Adams, Rhinegeist, Leinenkugel, then Sierra Nevada. 

They're all pretty good, but the SN just didn't seem as balanced as the others IMO.  If I had tasted it blind, I would've probably thought I was drinking last years Sammy, as it's layered pretty well, but with just a hint of bitterness on the end.

I gotta get some of the Leinenkugel, Paddy.  Morgen. :)

^^^^It's good Joe, just a tick behind this year's SA (IMO both very balanced, with the SA being a bit sweeter...but in a good way if you know what I mean). 

My dinner party went head to head with it and the Sierra last night.  Everyone was in agreement that Leiny was the pick of the two. 

Picked up a PumKYn along with a few other things, look forward to trying it.

On 10/6/2017 at 12:05 AM, Paddy said:

^^^^It's good Joe, just a tick behind this year's SA (IMO both very balanced, with the SA being a bit sweeter...but in a good way if you know what I mean). 

My dinner party went head to head with it and the Sierra last night.  Everyone was in agreement that Leiny was the pick of the two. 

You're right, Paddy.  The Leiny is dang good.  Very nice balance.  A tick behind Sam Adams like you say, and right there with Sierra.  I like the SA more because it has more maltiness to it, but glad to have Leiny in the rotation.  

IMG_4184.JPG

^^^^^I was just getting ready to comment on the beauty of the Leiny label, then I saw that glass..............:wub:

Year in -year out, GLB Oktoberfest always challenges for best of season with me.  This year is no exception.  On this sunny but breezy 64 degree coolish afternoon it is spot on great.

IMG_4201.JPG

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.