Describe your bourbon with one word.

Jfletchgu
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I know any good bourbon has many complex flavors, but for me it seems like there is one that always seems to dominate. For example, JD7 (I know its a Tennessee whiskey, but you get the idea) I always get green apple jolly ranchers on the nose and first taste (call me crazy, but I do). So now any time I see that bottle I immediatly think of green apple jolly ranchers. Is there a bourbon for you that has one dominate flavor that you always associate with that bottle or could describe it to someone else with one word.

Pancakes.  Not one of my favorite bourbons (but not a bad bourbon either), but the Woodford Reserved Double Oaked always reminds me of the taste of pancakes.

I really enjoy doing "capsule reviews" like this, picking up to 3 dominant flavors to define the unique characteristics of a bourbon or other spirits. It helps a lot as a quick reference when looking into buying a bottle of something you tried a long time ago (as opposed to writing caramel, cinnamon, oak for every single bourbon). I don't have my list here atm, but off the top of my head:

Maker's Cask Strength: Fresh hazelnuts off the tree

Jefferson's 21: Coconuts

Weller 12: Stale black tea

Old Ezra 101 7yr - mushrooms

Basic BT - candy apple

OGD BIB - allisrightwiththeworld

• I like it 1

Stagg Jr - fudge brownie

Stagg Jr (other batch) - cherry cola

Four Roses Single Barrel - Buttery Graham Cracker crust dusted in baking spices but also maybe you messed up and threw in some pickling spice too, but it tastes good anyway.

Yeah sue me.  All three are at least one thing, if not one word.

Edited by garbanzobean

ER10 - vanilla

BT - cinnamon

W12 - cherry

Barrell Bourbon batch 11 - peanut butter

JD - bananas

Edited by dcbt

2 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Old Ezra 101 7yr - mushrooms

Basic BT - candy apple

OGD BIB - allisrightwiththeworld

Interesting description on the OE, Harry.  You and Troyce both are detecting an unusual element there, but he describes it as sheetrock mud.  Im sure it's the same thing, though just vocalized differently.  

9 hours ago, Kane said:

I really enjoy doing "capsule reviews" like this, picking up to 3 dominant flavors to define the unique characteristics of a bourbon or other spirits. It helps a lot as a quick reference when looking into buying a bottle of something you tried a long time ago (as opposed to writing caramel, cinnamon, oak for every single bourbon). I don't have my list here atm, but off the top of my head:

Maker's Cask Strength: Fresh hazelnuts off the tree

Jefferson's 21: Coconuts

Weller 12: Stale black tea

I want fresh hazelnuts off the tree

My most used word is yummmm. But I like this and will start trying to pick one dominant comparison.  I also always get dickel/flintstone

2 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Any George Dickel iteration that I've ever had: Flintstone Vitamins.

I've heard ans read this but have never tasted it. Dickel 12 was what got me in the sour mash world. Must be a palate thing. 

Just now, Mako254 said:

I've heard ans read this but have never tasted it. Dickel 12 was what got me in the sour mash world. Must be a palate thing. 

My belief (admittedly, based only on anecdotal information) is that it's a hereditary ability.  

Either you have the gene that allows you to experience Dickel this way, or you just don't understand such comments.   For me, it's quite prevalent and obvious in both the nose and palate; but especially the nose.

7 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

My belief (admittedly, based only on anecdotal information) is that it's a hereditary ability.  

Either you have the gene that allows you to experience Dickel this way, or you just don't understand such comments.   For me, it's quite prevalent and obvious in both the nose and palate; but especially the nose.

You may be right. I guess I'm lucky. I get lots of corn and some toffee w/ dickel 12. I like the 103 single barrel that I have, not sure I'd buy again at $60. 

13 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

I typically don't taste it but every once in a while, specifically after having spicy food, it is really noticeable. 

5 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

You may be right. I guess I'm lucky. I get lots of corn and some toffee w/ dickel 12. I like the 103 single barrel that I have, not sure I'd buy again at $60. 

Wow those are $40-$45 here assuming they are the 9yr. A good replacement is the Costco brand Kirkland Tennessee Straight Bourbon 7 year 103 which is pretty close in profile and $29 a liter in my neck of the woods.

I don't get it from all my various bottles, although from many of them, if I had to pick one word I guess it would be . . .  caramel.

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Interesting description on the OE, Harry.  You and Troyce both are detecting an unusual element there, but he describes it as sheetrock mud.  Im sure it's the same thing, though just vocalized differently.  

That's a one-word description.  A few months ago, over on the OE 101 7yr thread (or a BOTM for it or somewhere), I also threw in "dirt" and "leaf mold" qualified with "but in a good way".  Now that I think about it, maybe I SHOULD replace "mushroom" with "leafmold".  But in a good way.  For some reason, I really like it.:wacko:

Same with Troyce.  Odd description, but doesn't find it unpleasant.  

2 hours ago, Mako254 said:

You may be right. I guess I'm lucky.

No, the joke's on you, you are missing out on the full Dickel experience :) This is another example of a bourbon transforming an otherwise unpleasant flavor into an enjoyable experience.

With apologies to Dairy Queen, scrumpdillyishus!  :D

Cheers! Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.