Bruichladdich Black Art, anyone?

Kane
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Folks, is anyone here intimate with the Black Art, ideally multiple releases for comparison purposes? The reviews & opinions out there are quite inconsistent, as they always are with expensive whisky.

I am a big fan of Bruichladdich's work in general, and I enjoy the inherent quirkiness going on even in their basic offerings like the Laddie 10. I have the opportunity to buy some of the earlier Black Art releases at a reasonable price now, but only if they're worth the experience and loss of liver function.

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 6:45 AM, Kane said:

Folks, is anyone here intimate with the Black Art, ideally multiple releases for comparison purposes? The reviews & opinions out there are quite inconsistent, as they always are with expensive whisky.

I am a big fan of Bruichladdich's work in general, and I enjoy the inherent quirkiness going on even in their basic offerings like the Laddie 10. I have the opportunity to buy some of the earlier Black Art releases at a reasonable price now, but only if they're worth the experience and loss of liver function.

Talk about your ultimate mystery whisky! I don't think Jim Ewan has ever said what casks made them up. Heck, maybe even he doesn't know...

I have had a couple of different ones over the years (3 for sure and maybe 2) but nothing recent enough to have a good recollection.

The thing I remember most is that while they were interesting and enjoyable neither made me want to seek out more given their relatively high cost.

Just now, tanstaafl2 said:

Talk about your ultimate mystery whisky! I don't think Jim Ewan has ever said what casks made them up. Heck, maybe even he doesn't know...

I have had a couple of different ones over the years (3 for sure and maybe 2) but nothing recent enough to have a good recollection.

The thing I remember most is that while they were interesting and enjoyable neither made me want to seek out more given their relatively high cost.

I should say I have tried them. I have never bought one for myself as the samples I tasted did not inspire me to do so.

These were with it when they came out many years ago.  Not so much worth the buy in nowadays 

I have never tried BA because I like old Bruichladdich spirit just fine without all the wood treatments. 20ish year old Bruichladdich from refill casks is a fine thing, exhibiting wonderful subtle tropical fruit notes and briny butterscotch.  I will take a $100 bottle of that from Signatory well before I drop $300+ on whisky I would have preferred before it got ACEd.  I passed when BA was $185, and I will pass at the drastically increased prices of today.  But that is my uninformed curmudgeonly opinion, not one formed of wisdom and experience.

• 4 weeks later...

So I sampled 2, 4 and the brand new 5 the other day:

- 5 was an extremely good but very traditional sherry-heavy whisky. There are so many other excellent sherry dominant whiskies at sane prices. Pass.

- 4 was really interesting and my favorite of the bunch. It had the Bruichladdich surprise factor that I was looking for, with a weird but enjoyable wine-like quality to it.

- 2 took it too far with the weirdness, and was hardly recognizable as Scotch :)  A nice little curiosity, but I wouldn't pay the rare & old release premium for it.

So 4 is actually excellent, and it is still the most widely available. I still find it difficult to pay the cash for it, but may make an impulse purchase when visiting a big box on a good day.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.