VOB6 versus EWBIB

Bullseye
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I can get VOB6 or EWBIB for the same price. EWBIB is my "house" bourbon and readily available. VOB6 will require a drive across town.  Is VOB6 worth the extra effort?

5 hours ago, Bullseye said:

I can get VOB6 or EWBIB for the same price. EWBIB is my "house" bourbon and readily available. VOB6 will require a drive across town.  Is VOB6 worth the extra effort?

To me: Apples and Oranges kinda thing.    Both are fine Bourbons at reasonable prices; but sometimes I want an 'apple'; sometimes I want an 'orange'. 

My advice get a couple bottles of both and work your way through at least one of each alternating and even doing a blind SBS at least twice. 

If after all this, you find one you don't really care for; send me the extra on of 'that' one.    HA!

I'm assuming you're talking about VOB BIB (no longer 6-years old).    If you mean VOB BIB, 6-year, I'd grab that.     ...But really both are well-made Bourbons.

Edited by Richnimrod
Add'l thought...

If you like a fruitier profile, then yes...it's worth it.  Two similar, but different, animals.  I, like Rich, enjoy variety. 

I agree with what the others have said. VOB is my favorite budget pour (specifically the BIB). If you like a large banana note then you'll love VOB.

On 8/10/2017 at 7:49 AM, Richnimrod said:

To me: Apples and Oranges kinda thing.    Both are fine Bourbons at reasonable prices; but sometimes I want an 'apple'; sometimes I want an 'orange'. 

My advice get a couple bottles of both and work your way through at least one of each alternating and even doing a blind SBS at least twice. 

If after all this, you find one you don't really care for; send me the extra on of 'that' one.    HA!

I'm assuming you're talking about VOB BIB (no longer 6-years old).    If you mean VOB BIB, 6-year, I'd grab that.     ...But really both are well-made Bourbons.

Rich, OP wrote VOB6 not bib which would be this 90 proofer. I bought this one last year and it was the only bottle I've ever thought about dumping. Tasted bad (to me) even mixed. The bib might be better, but I've never seen it on the shelf. The EW bib on the other hand is a fine value pour.

IMG_1969.JPG

33 minutes ago, JTaylor said:

For the sake of science I just did a quick SBS

I won't dump out the VOB 6, but I won't buy another.  It has a chemical-y finish that detracts heavily from what started out as a decent pour with all the classic bourbon flavors. If the bib version looses that chemical taste, I can see what the excitement is about. The EWbib is tasty, but lighter on the palate, and seems almost watered down by comparison despite the higher proof. If I'm looking for a bottom shelf, multi-purpose, beginners pour between these two, the EW wins easily. My top choice in that category though is Old Fitz bib.

I've never had VOBBIB, but I have quite a few bottles of VOB 6 yr old 86 proof, and I like it much better than EWBIB, even after I add a bit of water to the higher proof Evan Williams. I tasted the new VOB6 during my last Barton visit, and I didn't care for it. I really like the older HH bourbons and the Barton 1792 bourbons. I think the issue for me with EWBIB and the new VOB is their young age, which I suspect is just 4 years in the barrel. 

On 8/20/2017 at 5:54 AM, JTaylor said:

Rich, OP wrote VOB6 not bib which would be this 90 proofer. I bought this one last year and it was the only bottle I've ever thought about dumping. Tasted bad (to me) even mixed. The bib might be better, but I've never seen it on the shelf. The EW bib on the other hand is a fine value pour.

When Barton dropped the age statement from VOB BIB but left the "6" on the neck label, they claimed it was because everyone referred to the BIB as "6." It's total BS, but that was their justification. Now it's gone entirely so wonder what happened there? :rolleyes:

I'll echo Rich's review and say I also think it's an apples-to-oranges comparison. They have completely different flavor profiles so one is not better than the other. I like them both and, to be fair, my only experience with VOB BIB has been with the age stated version. I stocked up when they announced the change. As such, EWBIB is noticeably younger with a sweet, corny profile. Try them both and tell us what you think!

I prefer EWBIB.  There was a flavor in the VOB that bothered me, and when someone called it bubble gum, that was all I could taste after that. 

On 8/22/2017 at 3:26 PM, mosugoji64 said:

When Barton dropped the age statement from VOB BIB but left the "6" on the neck label, they claimed it was because everyone referred to the BIB as "6." It's total BS, but that was their justification. Now it's gone entirely so wonder what happened there? :rolleyes:

I'll echo Rich's review and say I also think it's an apples-to-oranges comparison. They have completely different flavor profiles so one is not better than the other. I like them both and, to be fair, my only experience with VOB BIB has been with the age stated version. I stocked up when they announced the change. As such, EWBIB is noticeably younger with a sweet, corny profile. Try them both and tell us what you think!

It's my understanding that the "6" is gone entirely because someone sued them for false advertising. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.