Buffalo Trace Visit

Dango
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I am traveling to Cincinnati for work next week. I decided to take a day on Thursday to drive the 80 miles down to the Buffalo Trace Distillery and do the tour. I will do the general hourly tour and signed up for the C.E.T tour at 2:30. The hard hat tour was booked. 

Any advise, tips, things to do while there would be appreciated. 

Thanks

Depending on time that you have available you are well within striking distance (30 minutes away or so at most) of Four Roses, Wild Turkey and Woodford (as well as a few smaller distilleries).

If nothing else (and especially if you are part of the cult!) a quick look around the gift shop at Four Roses is always worth a little time.

2 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Depending on time that you have available you are well within striking distance (30 minutes away or so at most) of Four Roses, Wild Turkey and Woodford (as well as a few smaller distilleries).

If nothing else (and especially if you are part of the cult!) a quick look around the gift shop at Four Roses is always worth a little time.

Noted. I will try to pencil it in. THANKS

Don't forget to take a camera. ;)

If you happen to get Fred as a tour guide, tell him we say hello. :D Hope you enjoy yourself and have a really good time. 

Cheers! Joe

fred.jpeg

^^^^What they said!

If you don't have time for Lawrenceburg (Turkey/Four Roses), you're only 15 minutes from Woodford Reserve.  Both it, and the scenery along the drive, are absolutely beautiful (and well worth the time). 

If you do have the time, I'd hit the all the (Woodford, Turkey and 4R) gift shops! 

Either way, have fun! 

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Don't forget to take a camera. ;)

If you happen to get Fred as a tour guide, tell him we say hello. :D Hope you enjoy yourself and have a really good time. 

Cheers! Joe

fred.jpeg

I will If I see him. Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

So, I made my visit, and only did the new C.E.H. Taylor tour. It was pretty cool. Lots of interesting history about this guy who some consider the father of modern day bourbon. Yes I did get Fred as our giued and he is a weath of information and passionate about his job. Just a super nice guy. I did say hi to him as requested. I am going to post pics feel free to ask any questions about them.

IMG_0439.JPG

IMG_0433.JPG

IMG_0420.JPG  Taylors office and lab

IMG_0419.JPG

IMG_0406.JPG  Downstairs. The walls were made with brick held together by horse hair plaster. The horse hair helps hold it together. You can still see and feel it on the walls.

Edited by Dango

IMG_0411.JPG

IMG_0412.JPG

IMG_0413.JPG This is all different aged experimental collections.

IMG_0414.JPG

IMG_0415.JPG 23 year old 

Edited by Dango

This is an old building where the fermentation and mash tank were held. This was all recently uncovered and they had a archaeologist come in and preserve what was uncovered. The squared area's are the fermentation holding tanks that were lined with copper sheets back in the day. 

IMG_0421.JPG

IMG_0422.JPG

IMG_0424.JPG

IMG_0425.JPG

IMG_0427.JPG

IMG_0432.JPG

IMG_0426.JPG

30 minutes ago, JT3NSB said:

Hey, I know that barrel! 

IMG_2295.JPG

Funny. Nice pic. Its so hilarious the thoughts you get while in these rick houses. Like hmmmmm how can I get one of these out of here!!

One guy asked how much one would weigh, I know what he was thinking.

Glad  you had a good time, and also had Fred as your tour guide. Also thanks for sharing your pics.  I reckon l just might have to visit BT next April.  :P I love history in general, but bourbon  history even more so.  Thanks again for sharing.

Cheers! Joe

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Glad  you had a good time, and also had Fred as your tour guide. Also thanks for sharing your pics.  I reckon l just might have to visit BT next April.  :P I love history in general, but bourbon  history even more so.  Thanks again for sharing.

Cheers! Joe

Thanks. Glad to share. I need to go back and do the other tours they offer. I agree there is something uniquely different about the history of bourbon.

Looks like they've upped their tourism game since last I took a tour there. Like Joe I'm going to have to pop in again next year.

9 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Looks like they've upped their tourism game since last I took a tour there. Like Joe I'm going to have to pop in again next year.

Yeah, supposedly this was the first week of the new E.H. Taylor tour. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.