Some observations after hitting 5 shops in SC/GA today

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This is kind of spinning off the 'boom in dixie' and the monster years old boom thread...

--allocation from one area to another is a funny thing. Here in Columbia, SC regular old BT and green label weller (when available) is fairly scarce ans generally one per. It was plentiful in a couple Augusta GA shops. Blantons is hard to come by here, but I saw it in three shops around Augusta and at one near oconee. 2 shops had it for $69, which is a shade high until the oconee shop had it at $114!!!

One shop had a pair of Elmer for $99/each yet had a RHF for $50 (bought that).  This same shop had 05 06 and 07 Evan Single barrel (definitely bought those) and McKenna 10 on sale for 28. 

The second augusta had 4 blantons just sitting on the shelf and 3 varieties of EHT. They also had some older ewsb. This is stuff we just dont get in columbia but cola is a bigger city. No sense. 

The oconee shop had previously been a honey hole but their prices were silly:

$114 for blantona

$124 for elijah craig single barrel (which i did find here for $64)

so, still some deals to be had but...how are these prices in line with what y'all see?

mods, let me if this needs to be merged. 

Jesus, nice shopping trip. The CETSB is so far my favorite that I have tried and own. Yeah as I said in response to you in another thread I paid just a few dollars under 100.00 for blantons in North Myrtle Beach. Enjoy.

Got my last blantons for 52 at total wine near San Jose, was 1 per customer as they got 1 case for the first time in 6 months supposedly. Last ECBP was 64 a few weeks ago.

Very nice haul there.  The Blanton's prices here do seem to bounce all around the spectrum, but with a little searching regular retail prices can be found.  Love the CEHTSB as well.

On 8/11/2017 at 9:01 PM, Mako254 said:

This is kind of spinning off the 'boom in dixie' and the monster years old boom thread...

--allocation from one area to another is a funny thing. Here in Columbia, SC regular old BT and green label weller (when available) is fairly scarce ans generally one per. It was plentiful in a couple Augusta GA shops. Blantons is hard to come by here, but I saw it in three shops around Augusta and at one near oconee. 2 shops had it for $69, which is a shade high until the oconee shop had it at $114!!!

One shop had a pair of Elmer for $99/each yet had a RHF for $50 (bought that).  This same shop had 05 06 and 07 Evan Single barrel (definitely bought those) and McKenna 10 on sale for 28. 

The second augusta had 4 blantons just sitting on the shelf and 3 varieties of EHT. They also had some older ewsb. This is stuff we just dont get in columbia but cola is a bigger city. No sense. 

The oconee shop had previously been a honey hole but their prices were silly:

$114 for blantona

$124 for elijah craig single barrel (which i did find here for $64)

so, still some deals to be had but...how are these prices in line with what y'all see?

mods, let me if this needs to be merged. 

Augusta is hard to figure...I go there twice a year because of their prices and selection and stock. I thought it was because of the Masters. A RNDC rep told me there was a member of AUgusta National that has a lot of influence with them. Who knows...

23 minutes ago, DCFan said:

Q for you folks in SC, do the Costcos in SC sell liquor?

Kind of. The costco in columbia has a liqour store right next door to the costco, literally 15 feet from door to door. The shop is called 'columbia liqours'. From what I can tell, costco cant sell booze here in SC (cant sell booze in same shop as beer and winer either). But there is a liquour store sharing a roof with decent selection of mid upper shelf stuff. 

1 hour ago, Enoch said:

Augusta is hard to figure...I go there twice a year because of their prices and selection and stock. I thought it was because of the Masters. A RNDC rep told me there was a member of AUgusta National that has a lot of influence with them. Who knows...

I definitely have a new honey hole off the martinez exit thats for sure. They looked at me funny when I bought 8 bottles in 3 separate purchases. 

One spot had half a dozen stagg jr bottles. The counter staff was surprised when I bypassed those to get on my hands and knees to fish out the 05 Evan Williams single barrel. 

Edited by Mako254

13 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

Kind of. The costco in columbia has a liqour store right next door to the costco, literally 15 feet from door to door. The shop is called 'columbia liqours'. From what I can tell, costco cant sell booze here in SC (cant sell booze in same shop as beer and winer either). But there is a liquour store sharing a roof with decent selection of mid upper shelf stuff. 

Thanks for the info about SC. So what about the Costcos in GA selling liquor?  I'm kinda partial to their pricing and will be retiring to Wilmington in the near future. In March I went to the store in DC and got a jug of BT for $33. They had cases of it stacked on the floor.  Don't know if I lucked out and got there the day after a delivery or if that's their usual quantity on hand.

15 minutes ago, DCFan said:

Thanks for the info about SC. So what about the Costcos in GA selling liquor?  I'm kinda partial to their pricing and will be retiring to Wilmington in the near future. In March I went to the store in DC and got a jug of BT for $33. They had cases of it stacked on the floor.  Don't know if I lucked out and got there the day after a delivery or if that's their usual quantity on hand.

Costcos may sell liquor in GA, but state law allows a business to sell liquor in only 2 locations.  So, only the Costco in Sandy Springs, and another (that I don't recall where in the state it is located) have liquor available.  Historically, the SS Costco's liquor selection was pretty anemic, particularly with regard to bourbon.  However, the last time I was there a couple weeks ago, it seemed more flush with options.  

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Costcos may sell liquor in GA, but state law allows a business to sell liquor in only 2 locations.

Thanks Joe. I knew I could count on you to spill the particulars for your great state.  Now how about the Costcos in Tenn?  We plan on doing some traveling. :D

Sorry, but can't help you there, man.

BTW, I saw the video of Harper's injury last night.  Terrible looking.  I hope it is not as bad as radio guys we're making it sound.  Any word locally?  Harper is easy target for opposing fans to harass, as most of the great players with personality are (Chipper Jones got similar responses, particularly at NYM).  But, everyone recognizes Harper's greatness and positive  contribution to the game.  As baseball fan, I'm hoping for a good report and quick recovery.

1 minute ago, smokinjoe said:

Sorry, but can't help you there, man.

BTW, I saw the video of Harper's injury last night.  Terrible looking.  I hope it is not as bad as radio guys we're making it sound.  Any word locally?  Harper is easy target for opposing fans to harass, as most of the great players with personality are (Chipper Jones got similar responses, particularly at NYM).  But, everyone recognizes Harper's greatness and positive  contribution to the game.  As baseball fan, I'm hoping for a good report and quick recovery.

Bone bruise with no ligament or tendon damage. They're hopeful he'll be back for the playoffs.

5 minutes ago, DCFan said:

Bone bruise with no ligament or tendon damage. They're hopeful he'll be back for the playoffs.

Great to hear.  Mrssmokinjoe just reminded me that Chipper blew his knee on similar play at first early in his career.  

1 minute ago, smokinjoe said:

Great to hear.  Mrssmokinjoe just reminded me that Chipper blew his knee on similar play at first early in his career.  

Good old Larry. He was a heckuva player. He always gave the Nats fits. And everyone else too.

You talk about players getting harassed, Jayson Werth is in the 7th year of his monster free agent deal and the freakin Phiily fans still boo him to this day. They even cheered when he broke his wrist diving for a low liner in CBP. Of course those idiots boo Santa.

5 hours ago, DCFan said:

Q for you folks in SC, do the Costcos in SC sell liquor?

SC does not allow membership only liquor stores so the Costcos have their liquor stores outside. Anyone can go in and buy. Also any liquor store can order and stock Costco brands of liquor but very few do.

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Costcos may sell liquor in GA, but state law allows a business to sell liquor in only 2 locations.  So, only the Costco in Sandy Springs, and another (that I don't recall where in the state it is located) have liquor available.  Historically, the SS Costco's liquor selection was pretty anemic, particularly with regard to bourbon.  However, the last time I was there a couple weeks ago, it seemed more flush with options.  

The other is in Alpharetta/Milton  off of Windward Pky.

Not a bad selection. KC, Larceny, Makers, Beam, BT. Most in 1.75 and 1L, Costco style.

Curious what the best places in Augusta are...I live in ATL and get over there on occasion.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, flahute said:

Not any more.

Maybe. I figure sharing creates a little positive karma for me. 

My understanding of SC laws are that no one or corporation can operate more than 3 locations selling spiritous liquor. Costco in Greenville, North Charleston, and Myrtle Beach are the 3 in the state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.