Irish Whiskey 3 Day Trip To Dublin

HoustonNit
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Mods please feel free to move this to an existing thread if necessary.

I'm doing a 3 day trip to Dublin in a couple of weeks and looking for Irish whiskey recommendations? I've noticed that Teeling distillery is in Dublin look forward to checking it out.

Back in my not so long ago younger days was a Irish Whiskey fan drinker, Tullamore Dew and Bushmill's, before my taste buds kicked in and I moved on to bourbon. That being said I would like to try some Redbreast and Teeling's while in Ireland. Also anything else people could recommend, thanks in advance.

I  believe Jameson has a tour at the site of their old distillery but there is no current distilling there, unlike Teeling. And of course the Celtic Whiskey Shop should likely be a part of any Dublin whiskey experience.

I believe there is an Irish Whiskey museum as well but have no idea whether it is worth a look.

This article mentions another called the Dublin Liberties Distillery. The Liberties as I understand it was where many distilleries (and other businesses) once operated and is now undergoing something of a renaissance.

The Pearse Lyons distillery in the former church as shown in this post from charleymcguffin is in Dublin and may now be open for tours.

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 0:25 PM, charleymcguffin said:

I had my first taste of the Town Branch bourbon in McCann's bar beside the new Pearse Lyon's distillery in Dublin a few weeks ago. I was going to try the new Pearse Irish whiskey, but as this is for the most part sourced,I decided to try the Town Branch. To say that I was underwhelmed would be an understatement. I have tasted Poitin that seemed older than this and over here it is very pricey. I certainly would not buy a bottle. My immediate thought ,was to wonder on what stills was this made, on the Forsyth stills which are used presently or on the  Vendome stills  that initiated production. These Vendome stills were transported to Ireland and installed in the new distillery. If the quality of the end product is anything like Town Branch, I for one will be giving it a miss.

st james distillery.jpg

Thanks for the reply, forgot about Celtic Whiskey Shop. Might not might any purchases but would love to window shop. Also looks they have a bar that does whiskey flights.

On 13/8/2017 at 5:18 AM, HoustonNit said:

I'm doing a 3 day trip to Dublin in a couple of weeks and looking for Irish whiskey recommendations?

The Teeling Distillery is a must visit, but make sure that you book online as it can get booked up . The Dublin Liberties Distillery is on Mill street ,just down from the back entrance of Teelings. However it is at the moment not a functioning distillery.  The old house of Lord Meath on Mill street has been renovated and is now being used  as offices for Teelings . His other title was Brabazon ,hence the name for their latest release .

The Pearse Lyons distillery is not due to open to the public until Sept ,but worth keeping a check on for opening dates. Jameson Bow street has recently reopened after a refurb and looks very well. The shop is quite small and if you were to buy anything there ,I would suggest that you get the fill your own Black Barrel which is cask strength ,pricey but superb. Celtic whiskey shop is a must but you might be wise to check out what is available at the airport and avail of the duty-free ..Check out THE LOOP DUBLIN AIRPORT before you travel so that you can compare prices. If you choose to walk to Teelings it might be worth checking out the old Powers John's lane site. Now the National College of Art ,but 3 of the stills are still on site.  Of course distillery tours are one thing and enjoying a good dram in good surroundings another.  a few pubs worth visiting would be Dingle Whiskey bar on Nassau Street which has a very good selection of drams. This is just up the road from the whiskey museum. Must visit bars.... The Palace Bar .. Fleet Street watering hole to past generations of writers. The Long Hall on Georges street , a Victorian masterpiece with its own single cask Powers Pure Pot Still. Kehoe's pub on Anne st just off Grafton street has the best pint of Guinness bar none . I could go on but won't . I am attaching a copy of Thomas Street heritage trail , not quite up to date  but might be of interest. Any queries on specifics let me know and I will try and answer.

Slainte,

Charlie

ThomasandJamesStreetHeritageTrail.pdf

Charles thanks for the detailed reply. Have went ahead and booked my distillery tour. Will also take some notes from your reply particularly on bars to check out.

Having trouble downloading the PDF but very intrigued, will to try to download from home later.

Great write up, thanks Charlie.

It looks like I'll be there for a day or two in Sept. Will have to get to Teeling and the Dingle Whiskey bar at the very least.

Last time I was there I went into the Celtic Whisky shop, but I'm not quite enough the Irish whiskey aficionado to be keen on what it costs to experiment there.

The duty free upon exodus is much more my speed.

As well as the Pearse Lyons distillery . The Slane Castle distillery is due to open for visitors on 2nd Sept.  Housed in a Lutyens designed stable block of the castle. The distillery has 3 copper pot stills in the old buildings and 6 column stills in new buildings designed to fit in with the stable block.  Slane is about 60 Minutes from Dublin.

https://www.slaneirishwhiskey.com/the-distillery/

Charley are you a professional tour guide? Your vast insight to Dublin and its whisky industry is amazing.

I've taken notes of all the bars you've listed they look amazing. Will be arriving tomorrow.

Will potentially check Pearse Lyons distillery as well.

It may not be your thing but where would you go for an early house that does a good Irish breakfast?

Charley please forgive me as my first dram in Dublin was actually a bourbon. Was at Kehoe's per your recommendation. Saw Old Fitz 12 year which is almost impossible to find stateside these days.

Currently at the Dingle Bar waiting for the 7pm tasting with I believe Micheal Jackson??? I'm looking forward to this. Had a few while waiting, starting with the Powers Signature Release. The nose was fantastic, a bit soft on the finish but still good. Redbreast 12 next, good but preferred the Powers Sig.

On 8/28/2017 at 10:41 AM, HoustonNit said:

Charley are you a professional tour guide

I have just now seen your post. Not a guide and not from Dublin but I do enjoy a perambulation around the town as it's an easy city for a good stroll. I see from the photo that you are at the Powerscourt townhouse,  L. Mulligan Whiskey shop is on the other side of that building .. worth a look but pricey .....on the other hand L Mulligan the grocers at Stoneybatter is a superb eatery with an excellent whiskey and craft beer menu. http://lmulligangrocer1.weebly.com/    and very near the Jameson experience at Bow Street.

Ignoring whiskey for the moment ... there is an excellent Vermeer exhibition on at the National Gallery . The exhibit covers Vermeer and his contemporaries , it must be the only place on the planet at the moment where it is possible to see 10 of his paintings in one place . Booking is necessary ,but if you had to wait for a slot,you could do worse than have a pint of the black stuff in O'Donoghue's on Baggot street which is a 5 minute walk. http://www.odonoghues.ie/articles.htm

Have fun,

Sláinte

Charlie

Edited by charleymcguffin
additions

Charley you must be a mind reader. Was at National Gallery and intended to look for tickets online for Vermeer. Additionally was intending to go to Middleton just to look around and was hoping there was a place close by to sample there products.

Have to add the details of the tasting class.

It was focused on pot still.

Started with a white dog from Teeling. standard 12yr Redbreast
Powers John Lane pot still
Green spot finished in Boudreaux barrels
Redbreast Cask Strength
c75156dfc4c71283946a3a18b93514e5.jpg

I really enjoyed these and find these so much better than your typical Irish Whiskey.

I probably felt the Redbreast CS was the best but probably enjoyed the Powers the most. Will definitely look into releases of there different pot stills.

15 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Additionally was intending to go to Middleton

I am glad that you had Fionnan giving the tasting , he is so enthusiast and could speak for his country. His book " A Glass Apart" giving the history and current standing of pot still whiskey is an excellent buy at about 29 Euro. I would recommend it.

Midleton is a good visit and the bar and shop on site should be of interest. In the town itself, on the main street  Coppingers pub is good and a little further down the street and just off it is the Sage restaurant which is a good place to eat. 

If you have your own wheels Kilbeggan is well worth the visit as little has changed since the 19th century. About 1 1/4 hrs from dublin...http://www.kilbeggandistillery.com/ 

And a new boy on the block just outside Kilkenny is the Ballykeefe distillery which is a grain to glass operation on a farm ..own grain,own water and the prize winning cattle eat the draff. http://www.ballykeefedistillery.ie/

And not to forget Walsh Whiskey , they now do a free bus service from Kilkenny to the distillery on a Friday. You would need to check this as at the moment the distillery is doing some launches of new product so may not be open to general visits at times.    http://walshwhiskey.com/distillery-tour/tour-times-prices/  

Slainte,

Charlie

Fionnan is great and he needs to widen up and bring his book to his tasting classes.

Was going to purchase at Teeling but due to size of the book will look for it closer to my hotel or at the very least get online.

1c1934ab599bb10945b74ce8f628e306.jpg

Some pics from Teeling. Did the single malt and there standard tasting. There basic single grain and small batch are kind of crap. Basically corn whiskey in the U.S.

There standard single malt isn't bad but doesn't compare to any of the pot still stuff I had last night.

They also had a 14 revival single malt. It wasn't bad maybe better than the standard single malt.

Last up was Brabazon single malt aged I believe for 9 years exclusively in sherry barrels. This had a nose that was green/young, not pleasant. Finish and palate was ok but can't imagine paying a premium for this.

520fa3c7723395652281009262236f64.jpg

dd6c31f0ad2b202747f12d1162ba5e95.jpg

There distilling operation looks nice. All very nice looking pot stills. Look forward in 4-5 years to try there own distilled product.

4521f973a10cb4bdcb62bfd8f6bd3ccb.jpg

54 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Was going to purchase at Teeling but due to size of the book will look for it closer to my hotel

That seems rather pricey for Fionnan's book . That one is probably from the first printing 2nd print is slightly smaller ( same contents)and priced at 28 Euro. I should have advised you to try a cocktail,named for my son in law.. "The Mark of Respect" while you were there. I think that you have developed a taste for Pure Pot Still over Malt ....same as myself!

Charlie

. I think that you have developed a taste for Pure Pot Still over Malt ....same as myself!
Charlie

Absolutely look forward to more offerings of pot stills.

Wanted to do a quick update to this.

After our distillery tour went looking for lunch in the area struck out with our first choice, but found an acceptable plan B on our way back to our hotel.

ea08f5f5832b68e7983488477bef8379.jpg

Not as good as my Guinness stew but acceptable.

3bb7e5642da8f4460ce980dc66b5f3a2.jpg

For dinner I wanted to see the Ballsbridge neighborhood. Really nice area, tree lined streets. Lame but went with a Bourdain spot in one his trips the Chophouse. Nice place, excellent service great cuts of meat. Best lamb I've ever had, Irish know what there doing with lamb. Better than the French or Australian lamb I've had.

f068c079ad28c430580c058fa552df28.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.