What beer are you drinking? Summer 2017

meadeweber
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Looks like we are overdue for a summer thread so I started one.

I had the new Dogfish Oak-Aged Vanilla World Wide Stout last night.  It was good but not great.  I got a lot of chocolate and coffee.  Fortunately the vanilla was not overpowering.  Actually it was quite subtle.  I didn't get much oak influence.  Also, it wasn't boozy.  I know that that is a positive for some but not for me.  I like a boozy oak aged beer.

I haven't had this one, but it would be quite a feat to come off as not boozy at 18% ABV. 

19 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

I haven't had this one, but it would be quite a feat to come off as not boozy at 18% ABV. 

I know!  I was really surprised.  

You should be able to find it in NoVA.  Try Total Wine that is where I bought it in MD.  Try it and let me know what you think.

I picked up Hop Lift IPA made by Third Street Brewhouse Cold Spring, MN.  It's a real IPA @ 6.2%.  There's a good amount of citrus and piney hop flavors going on; not too much bitterness.  Favorable review here.

I opened a bottle of "Dragon's Milk' from New Holland (MI) Brewing tonight. It's a barrel aged milk stout that one certainly shouldn't give to either a child or a nursing mother because it clocks in at 11% ABV. It tastes pretty good once it starts warming up past refrigerator temperature.

Had these two yesterday. I'm not as big a Belgian beer fan but the first one was great. The Chouffe almost tasted like it sat on the shelf too long.

6db847555ac76e9b8292277f30c48596.jpg

43c00fe615f571b899be1cc47cab3367.jpg

I don't drink beer much. But when I do, it is mostly right after stumbling on this thread :) There is something irresistible about beer photography. Pouring a Lost Nation Gose.

I don't drink beer much. But when I do, it is mostly right after stumbling on this thread [emoji4] There is something irresistible about beer photography. Pouring a Lost Nation Gose.

This thread is evil! It's the reason I got back on the beer wagon.

I'm enjoying Stroh's.  I visited their web site.  It appears they recently re-designed the label (went back to the old cursive letters).  Also they have a higher end beer coming out.

My wife and I visited a former coworker of mine last Saturday. He lives just a few minutes from where we were at in Freeport Illinois, so we decided to drop in on our way back home. His name is Nate, and he and his wife have an organic farm, and a craft brewery. Anyway, to make a long story short, we stopped in to say hi, and I had a nice tall glass of his Honey Wheat beer. It was great. I plan on stopping in again when I have the time. I might even take Vosgar with me next time. ^_^ Below is his craft beer list. 

Cheers! Joe

Leia's IPA - mild citrus IPA

Coffee Habit - coffee stout

Alderaan IPA -citrus blast IPA

Unicorn Tears - Copper specialty ale

Galahad - English Mild ale

Wookies Win - Brown Ale

Jack-O-Java - Pumpkin Coffee Spice

Honey Wheat - made with honey & wheat

Stormtrooper's Saison - French Saison-style

Milk Stout - brewed with lactose sugar

Farm Weiss - Midwestern take on a German-style farmhouse 

Cherry Wheat Ale - fruity

Berry Wheat Ale - fruity

Peach Mango Wheat Ale - fruity

Overcast - Hefeweizen

Red Five IPA - IPA with 5 hops

Dark Side Stout - mild & medium bodied

3PO - German-style Krystalweizen

My son grilled a fresh caught bass for lunch, yesterday. I had a Founder's Porter with it. It was a great combination.

Tim

I finally made my way out to Fieldwork brewery in Berkeley over the weekend to try some of their tasty brews. I had one of their IPAs a couple weeks ago that was excellent, certainly one of the best I've had in a long time, so I wanted to try more of their stuff. I tried a few different IPAs at the brewery, but the "Pulp" stood out to me as being very good - a very fruity but balanced, hazy, delicious beer.

In Dublin on vacation currently.

Couldn't pass up on a KBS sitting on the shelf for €8.50.

Awesome stuff, limited glassware at my hotel.

892e585db867914108b3ec4ed409f2aa.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It's not technically beer and I haven't tried it yet. It's still chilling. I love most things Founder's but this one is an odd duck. 

20170908_195138-756x1008.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

At some point I guess we should start a fall thread but with the current weather across the country what's the rush.

Had this Stone Stochahicity Project Ale. At $3 it's a steal and really interesting. Supposed to replicate an English style where they would take aged oak barrel beers and mixed with new beer.

I'm totally in on trying more of these offerings from Stone.

Please excuse the mess in the house it's going to be a construction project for the next couple of months thanks to hurricane Harvey.

704bbdbbe8dc23f79abd57daec99fb7a.jpgb5cc4f70a54341cac0e419e7d5da0b67.jpg

On 9/24/2017 at 9:48 PM, HoustonNit said:

At some point I guess we should start a fall thread but with the current weather across the country what's the rush.

Had this Stone Stochahicity Project Ale. At $3 it's a steal and really interesting. Supposed to replicate an English style where they would take aged oak barrel beers and mixed with new beer.

I'm totally in on trying more of these offerings from Stone.

Please excuse the mess in the house it's going to be a construction project for the next couple of months thanks to hurricane Harvey.

704bbdbbe8dc23f79abd57daec99fb7a.jpgb5cc4f70a54341cac0e419e7d5da0b67.jpg

That does sound like an interesting beer.  Is it really over 2 years old?  Surprised it held up.

That does sound like an interesting beer.  Is it really over 2 years old?  Surprised it held up.

Date stamp said two years, probably why they had them at $3. It's at a decent proof and at least partly barrel aged. They must of kept them in the back or the shelf they where on doesn't really get any sunlight so not too surprised it held up.

Looks like we are overdue for a summer thread so I started one.

I had the new Dogfish Oak-Aged Vanilla World Wide Stout last night.  It was good but not great.  I got a lot of chocolate and coffee.  Fortunately the vanilla was not overpowering.  Actually it was quite subtle.  I didn't get much oak influence.  Also, it wasn't boozy.  I know that that is a positive for some but not for me.  I like a boozy oak aged beer.

Just noticed this picked up a couple last night. Will probably pop one open tomorrow.

Also a few others.

bbf80ad77e850d7e0ac5babdb0906817.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.