Important Date

bourbonv
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 March 1938.

This date is important to the history of bourbon. Any guesses as to why it is important?

Mike Veach

Mike,

Is it the birthday of someone whom we on StraightBourbon.com know, either personally or by reputation?

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I like this answer but it is not right. My favorite quote about Carrie Nation is from Henry Watterson's editorial about her death when he said that it was only fitting that this daughter of Kentucky should die in dry, dry Kansas.

Mike Veach

Interesting, but 22 days too late.

Just a hint, Heaven Hill's bourbon brand manager was asking me about this date.

Mike Veach

Mike,

Was an innovation in the production, packaging, distribution or sale of bourbon introduced on that date?

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Was alcohol permitted to be sold at retail in Bardstown and environs on the date in question under post-Prohibition local option laws?

Gary

Mike,

OK, since a brand manager was doing the talking...

was it the first sale of a brand in small bottles , say Old Forrester?

Bj

A shot in the dark here (but I'm put off by your non-Prohibition-related remark):

Is this the date of opening for the first BIB warehouses after Repeal, which was accomplished in Dec. 1933? Figuring a few months for regulatory and startup processing, post-Prohibition whiskey wouldn't have been produced until Spring 1934. That would make March 1938 the 4-year anniversary of its warehousing.

Good try, but no cigar! Prohibition ended in December 1933 so the first possible bonded whiskey would be December 1937. You are on the right track though.

Mike Veach

Mike: introduction of tax-paid revenue stamps on bottles.

Also, in '38, a federal food and cosmetics law was passed. It prevented interstate commerce in adulterated products and regulated (prohibited) additives from being used in certain foods and drinks. Was that it, perhaps?

Gary

I've been reading up on Heaven Hill on its new website, and I saw that barrel #1 was filled in 1935. Was March 1, 1938 the date that whiskey was dumped or bottled or sold?

According to the regulations set up by the government after prohibition, All whiskey that wished to be designated "Straight Whiskey" other than corn whiskey, that was made on or after 1 March 1938 had to be aged in unused charred oak barrels. Early Times made 66 years ago on this day in February would have been defined as a "straight bourbon whiskey" but not after 1 March 1938.

Mike Veach

Mike,

Thanks for answering early this morning. I found myself thinking about this last night as I was trying to go to sleep (Gawd, I need a life... lol.gif).

Cool little tidbit,

Bj

Chuck,

The regulations were part of the government's regulations defining the industry after prohibition. This specific rule came about because of a strong lobby for the cooperage industry. Reusing barrels means less business for the cooperage companies and they were in the middle of a depression.

Mike Veach

2 March 1938

This date is important as the first and last time

the unused barrels were filled and then flash-charred.

They're still cleaning up the mess!

Sorry for the humor.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.